Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2012, 06:39 PM   #1

Question 12V Landing Gear Motor

I went to use my landing gear on the front of the fifth wheel and the fuse blows. I replaced the fuse and it will run it up and down but when I go to raise it off the hitch the fuse blows again. Time to replace the motor? What size fuse should I be using and can I use a circuit breaker? Not sure of the brand it is hidden up in the storage area and waiting to get home to check it out.

Paul
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2012, 07:21 AM   #2

From my experience you have an overload condition that is causing the fuse to fail. A fuse is design to fail if there is a short in the wiring, going to ground when it should not or a higher amperage load is applied than what the fuse is rated for. This is to protect the circuit and it's components from burning out due to higher than rated amperage load that it is designed for.
I would not change the amperage rating of this fuse, there is something else that is wrong and the fuse is protecting the circuit/motor from being damaged due to an overload condition.
Could the landing legs be bent? Thus when you go to un-hitch you are binding up the legs and this is requiring more work from the motor than the circuit is rated for. The fuse is the fail safe part of the circuit, it is doing it’s job.
Jim W.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:26 AM   #3

Blows fuse

I had a similar issue with my 5er and I took my landing gear apart. I then thoroughly cleaned the gears, re-lubed them, and re-assembled the gear. No more issues after that.

Simply replacing the fuse with the next size bigger, while tempting, will only delay the inevitable. Better to fix it now than have it fail while on road.

Just my .02.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:35 AM   #4

We have an '08 Keystone Challenger. We had the same problem with the legs, fuses and gears. Finally got tired of fixing them and replaced both legs with each leg having its own motor and control switch. Works 100% better. The original legs/motor/gears just were not strong enough.
Dick Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kschitoskey View Post
I had a similar issue with my 5er and I took my landing gear apart. I then thoroughly cleaned the gears, re-lubed them, and re-assembled the gear. No more issues after that.

Simply replacing the fuse with the next size bigger, while tempting, will only delay the inevitable. Better to fix it now than have it fail while on road.

Just my .02.
Interesting.

I was not going to go larger on the fuse just curious if it is too large. The previous owner liked to change things / repair things like using pipe dope on flair LP gas fittings. The question about the circuit breaker was so I did not have to keep replacing the fuse.

A little more info.

The trailer was sitting and had not been moved for over a year and I was using the jacks getting ready to replace the springs. They retraced all the way but when I went to raise it back up the fuse went. Took too days of hunting to find where it was located and does not match any of the other inline fuse holders on the trailer.

Going to try and remove the motor and see if I can take it apart and check the brushes for ware. I see a bit of a sticker in the photo, the motor and legs are in the belly storage above the hot water heater below the bedroom slide. Air ratchet will be a big help. Have till next years vacation to get it repaired.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Landing Gear Motor.jpg
Views:	1157
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	17690  
Old 02-05-2012, 11:23 AM   #6

Found this in the Atwood Manual on line. Never knew there was maintance on the landing gear.

Paul

MAINTENANCE
1. Before use, inspect drop tube and inner ram tube. Replace if bent or
damaged.
ONCE EACH YEAR:
a. Extend landing legs as far as possible, clean drop tube and inner
ram tube. Coat exposed surface of tubes with silicone spray lubricant.
b. Coat inside of handle alignment tube with silicone spray lubricant.
c. Oil shaft bushing in gear box and leg gear heads with SAE 30 oil.
d. Lubricate gears in gear box and landing leg gear heads with
extreme pressure grease.
3. For Electric Drive Motor Landing Legs, twice each year, check wiring
connections at battery. Clean terminals with a solution of baking
soda and water. Cover with a thin coat of grease.

NOTE
: Electric Drive Motor is lubricated at factory and requires no
further lubrication.
4. The Electric Drive Motor Landing Leg system is protected by a 30
amp fuse. If replacement is necessary, replace only with a Buss Type
AGC-30 fuse or equivalent, available in automotive supply stores.
5. The 3:1 gear box is not repairable. Do not take it apart. If you have a
problem with the gear box, replace it.
Should problems or questions arise, contact your dealer, the trailer
manufacturer or Atwood’s Service Department at 866-869-3118.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:21 PM   #7

Today I went to check the landing gear lube and I can not remove the covers where the gears are because the bolts will not slide out because they hit the frame. So I moved on and went to remove the motor to check it but the air ratchet just rounded off the bolt heads and I could not move the lower nut and can not even see the top nut holding the motor on the jacks.

I dug out the paperwork that the previous owner gave me, what a help. I now know what brand (RBW) and have all the diagrams for installation and maintenance. So it looks like I have a project this fall when I take my next vacation. In order to remove the jacks I will have to remove the lower front panel of the fifth wheel to get access to the jacks and bolts to remove them. I will try to clean and grease them and check the motor and if not it would be the perfect time to replace them with dual motor legs but only if needed to as these have worked with out a problem for 14 years.

ps Paperwork says I can use a breaker or fuse 30A, so that will get changed.

Paul
Old 02-07-2012, 02:32 PM   #8

Pulled it all out and cleaned and greased, all fixed.

Paul
Old 02-09-2012, 08:13 PM   #9

Paul - I have had the same problem with blown fuses several different times. Mine are 30amp. Over time I learned the only time they blow is when I overuse the motor, like running it up and down a couple times. If I give it a breather for a few minutes, I am ok.
Is my belief the fuse overheats with porlonged use - and porlonged isn't very long. Keep a few spares handy.
Good luck, Ray
rrray is offline   Reply With Quote