Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2020, 05:55 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
2004 Holiday Rambler Presidential SKQ

We have been fulltime rving for a little over a year with our 2004 Holiday Rambler Presidential SKQ and looking for some thoughts from all of you on here for winter camping in this beauty. It is suppose to be a four seasons camper and we absolutely love this older girl for many reasons. My wife had quite the want list when I started looking and we decided to go used to start. It had almost everything she wanted with 2 AC units with heat pumps, washer dryer, 5000 watt generator and heated enclosed underbelly. Downside was the old girl is 17000 lbs loaded. We bought the correct 1 ton dually and have no problems pulling. We stayed near the Gulf Shores in Alabama last winter and summer here in Pa where we lived. I am not sure on the thickness of the walls but the electric fireplace keeps us toasty down into the upper twenties. This older Holiday Rambler has beautiful quality and we never know at our age when our health may dictate weather we can head south or not. Any and all opinions or knowledge of this wonderful 5th wheel are appreciated thks
gcollins1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2020, 10:03 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcollins1954 View Post
We have been fulltime rving for a little over a year with our 2004 Holiday Rambler Presidential SKQ and looking for some thoughts from all of you on here for winter camping in this beauty. It is suppose to be a four seasons camper and we absolutely love this older girl for many reasons. My wife had quite the want list when I started looking and we decided to go used to start. It had almost everything she wanted with 2 AC units with heat pumps, washer dryer, 5000 watt generator and heated enclosed underbelly. Downside was the old girl is 17000 lbs loaded. We bought the correct 1 ton dually and have no problems pulling. We stayed near the Gulf Shores in Alabama last winter and summer here in Pa where we lived. I am not sure on the thickness of the walls but the electric fireplace keeps us toasty down into the upper twenties. This older Holiday Rambler has beautiful quality and we never know at our age when our health may dictate weather we can head south or not. Any and all opinions or knowledge of this wonderful 5th wheel are appreciated thks
No experience with your particular model but from my understanding that is an upscale and better built unit. It probably will handle down to -5C temps with no issues.

I am always leery of "4 seasons" claims on trailers. It appears some are Ok for 4 seasons of Arizona weather and some 4 seasons of North Carolina weather. I don't think any would be comfy for 4 of our seasons in Quebec. Propane usage increases greatly past freezing temps and you can't shut off the heat without risking tank or water pipe freezing.

where you camp in winter will dictate if it's OK or not.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 02:58 PM   #3

I've been in an 2007 SKQ HR Presidential 37 footer, full time for about 5 years, yes it's a grand o'l girl. My winters are in Pennsylvania.
You have questions I probably have answers

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:20 AM   #4

It's nice to know there is another one of these old girls in Pa. We are planning on leaving again this winter for the southern states but are concerned when the time comes that our health dictates that we can't leave. As long as the furnace is running, what temps can we feel safe here in Pa These presidentials are built so well for sure. I have been up inside the underbelly and see a few water lines here and there. One goes back to the fresh water tank, and not insulated that I can see. thks for your thoughts
Old 09-21-2020, 01:59 PM   #5

Would love to discuss with you if possible. What part of pa?
Old 09-21-2020, 06:38 PM   #6

The water lines running to the kitchen sink are not protected (not heated or insulated). Getting them insulated would require a large area of the underbelly removed for access. I use a small heater with a thermo control set for 40 degrees, stopped my frozen pex pipes, basement stays warm from furnace radiation. When in the 20's I burn about 3-4 gallons of propane a day, thermostat set at 72F. Furnace is a 45K BTU. No skirting.
Located in Allentown area.

CLIFFORD
Old 09-21-2020, 10:30 PM   #7

Where do you put the heater. Thks
Old 09-22-2020, 05:28 AM   #8

There is a long tunnel the pex lines run thru , I cut a hole in the coroplas ?sp ,made a shelf for the heater, heater is fastened to the shelf, used gorilla tape to seal up the coroplas. I have indoor/outdoor thermometers in a couple places to monitor temp's.

CLIFFORD

Tags
holiday rambler