Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2014, 08:53 PM   #1

2005 Pride ceiling issue

I am buying a 2005 Fleetwood Pride and the ceiling in almost every joint looks like the picture below.
Any idea on how it happened and how to fix it. Most every ceiling joint has the same situation.
My initial thought is to just cover the joints with a trim strip but I thought I'd let some of your more experienced campers have some input as well.
Your thoughts and ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
Randy

BBDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2014, 12:00 AM   #2

That really looks like a weak framing issue. Something of that magnitude would be a concern of the main frame flexing or something of the aluminum studs or wooden has an issue.
RussThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:14 AM   #3

That doesn't sound good. The Service Manager at the dealer told us it was purely a looks problem and the roof framing and structure is in great shape. He said it was a common occurrence in some of the Fleetwood line of fivers but he never said it might be related to any weakness of the framing.

I am hoping to confirm his statements from other owners who had/have the same issue.
Thanks for Your Reply
Randy
Old 02-01-2014, 08:24 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
If you havent bought it yet...walk away. I also wouldn't have anything to do with a dealership that is attempting to sell you a unit with a potential fatal issue. Theres thousands of other units out there that are in good shape. Doesn't matter what kind of a "deal" the dealership is offering. There is something very wrong with the ceiling.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:54 AM   #5

I doubt it's an issue. Yes, there may be some shifting, but it's most likely just the wrap on that panel shrinking/expanding.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:57 AM   #6

Wow, We actually have not picked it up yet nor given them the check for it. This unit has had the roof replaced in the past 1-2 years and all of the roof penetrations are professionally sealed. The unit is absolutely beautiful inside and out BUT????

Is there any good news out there??
Old 02-01-2014, 09:08 AM   #7

Again if it was just one joint I wouldn't worry as much, but when you said every joint was like that is concerning. There is more movement than normal during transporting. I had a fleetwood terry fifthwheel and did not have that at all. Look at the picture again and just think how much moving it took for all those to that. I have seen it in other units that has had a frame issue! Sorry just trying to help.
RussThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:14 AM   #8

Thank You, You are helping and I don't normally shoot the messengers.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:11 PM   #9

I have a friend who has the same look on his ceiling. Only in the upper bedroom area and one in the kitchen. He told me he did that when he was in Ohio and hit a low bridge. Knocked off the a/c and shifted the roof considerably. He had to replace the roof because the panels of sheeting popped under the rubber roof. His is a 2001 I think and maybe not the same model. I just remember looking up and his is imaculate inside, I had to ask , what is that?
jonbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:18 PM   #10

I have heard of this happening before. The fix was to remove the trim piece and smooth out the ceiling panel and then reinstall the trim piece. It was not a structural issue just the ceiling tile coming apart. The cases I read about were on older RVs like you are contemplating. Those who wrote about correcting this issue were not always successful long term. Seems once it starts, the wrinkles return.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:03 AM   #11

I would look at water intrusion or very high humidity inside the unit.
FatJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:23 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Unfortunately you can't believe anything anyone from the dealer says. They want to sell the coach and figure there is a level of quality you will buy and a lower level of quality you will keep once you own it. So once they get your money there tune changes.

I'd try to find another third party who knows the brand and hire him to give an opinion. This is a substantial investment on your part and souring the deal up front will be with you for a number of years.

If I couldn't get an objective third opinion then I'd walk and find another coach, there are lots to choose from. I know from experience that once you find one you like it's easy to overlook problems because your so close to owning. Try to project yourself two years in the future when the honeymoons over and what you will want is good reliable service.

Good Luck

Dick
Old 02-08-2014, 06:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatJack View Post
I would look at water intrusion or very high humidity inside the unit.
We looked high and low for any sign of water damage and are finding none, anywhere nor are we seeing any other damage of any kind.
We are believing a hot humid storage but fortunately there is no mold or mildew associated with wetness.

We are moving ahead, we purchased the fiver and have it at home. I have two RV handy friends who are giving me a hand with some changes we want to make. We have removed all of the carpet, pad and some hardwood flooring to make room for new Alure Ultra style flooring.

We are going to cover the old ceiling joint strips with a wood trim to match the other cabinetry wood and hopefully be done with it and we are marching ahead.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:48 AM   #14

Still piddling around but now ready for the ceiling

We have had our unit for few months now and still loving it. We have made some changes to the rig with the biggest, so far, in the wood flooring. It came out terrific.

We are now looking at the ceiling and before I proceed with covering those joints with trim or maybe faux beams, my wife wants to try and remove the plastic molding strip and heat then glue the vinyl back in place. It would be a big cost savings if possible BUT could be very costly if we screw it up.

The rafters are all aluminum (entire roof system is aluminum framed) and that plastic strip seems to be wedged into the crack between two aluminum 1x1 rafters at the ceiling joints. A local Rv -(un-expert) has told me not to remove the trim strip until I have one to replace it, as the strip is destroyed once removed.

He also said those strips for aluminum ceiling framing are very hard to find.

Can anyone refer me to a "how to" or explain the process of removal/replacement to me?

Thanks
Randy

Tags
ceiling