Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2012, 10:07 AM   #1

2006 Cherokee 285B+ bunk slide leaks!!

I just purchased a 2006 Cherokee 285B+ and found out the other night that water runs down the bunk slide and instead of dripping off at the bottom it runs toward the camper and in through an exposed corner. Dealer is trying to figure out a fix, without much success at this point. Due to the fact that the slide mechanism is above the floor level instead of underneath it, the dealer says it is a design flaw and there is little can be done other than some creativity. Has anyone else heard of this, and yes the camper was sitting level. I used a level on the pin, on the rear bumper, and on the floor of the camper. Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2012, 10:32 AM   #2

Perhaps a very slight tilt off level to allow water to run outwards would help. Does not solve the problem but might be a temporary fix
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:17 PM   #3

I have thought of that as a possibility, or even just running the slide in if it rains. I also thought about just bumping the slide in a touch so the outside is lower than the inside, but that may make it worse along the sides. Kind of frustrating that the manufacturer didn't see this as a problem. Also though about duct taping a piece of cloth at the seal to collect and drip moisture down right before it runs into the opening.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:58 AM   #4

I like your suggestion with creating a new seal/barrier to stop the water from coming inside. You may have to get really creative and think of some way of channeling the water away from the rig. I think making a "wick" with a Terry Cloth strip attached to the slide may be a good option. Anything to channel the water away. I don't know how effective it would be in driving rain, but a drizzle or dripping should be discouraged I would think. I wonder if you waxed with Carnuba wax the whole exterior of the slide if it would cause gravity to just allow the water to drop vertical to the ground without channeling to the cabin. Boy this one is a stumper.
first5thwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:30 AM   #5

UPDATE...I picked up camper friday from dealer. They resealed the bottom window of the slide and said there was a trace of leaking there, but no real smoking gun to prove they solved the problem. They did NOT charge me for any labor, which I thought was mighty impressive(this is not the dealer I bought the camper from). I got the camper home and leveled it in all directions then checked the level of the bottom of the bunk slide, sure enough there is a very slight decline from outside of slide to side of camper allowing any water collecting to run in at that point. I sprayed some underbody coating to both lower edges of the slide as recommended in another thread on here. I will leave it at this and see if it leaks again, if it does I will definitely try the wax, maybe that will speed the water up enough to jump the trim and fall off the slide. Thanks for all the ideas, and they may all be of use as time goes on.

Tags
leaks, slide