Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #15

by the way, both times they were in stock. Said at store popular item.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2013, 03:47 PM   #16

I need to check that Glenn.. I know the power light is on on the converter but that could be from the batteries. I was going to go this weekend, but I think I am going to go check on all the suggestions from this group tomorrow. I will post while I am there and post what I find at each place, so hopefully you all can help me brainstorm the situation and Ill have it right in front of me to check as I go..
deputybulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:10 PM   #17

I thank you guys. Hope you will be around tomorrow. :-)
Old 12-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #18

I am going there tomorrow. Hope your all available to help me brainstorm.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:52 AM   #19

Andrew,
I am guessing you aren't the first owner? I have an '05 36TK3 which should be almost identical to yours. Rusty is right on in chasing the power flow--find out where it has disappeared, then the problem is between that point and the pedestal.
If you have a surge protector, it should be in the cord storage bay, or in the breaker cabinet, also as Rusty has said. Find out if you have power at the breaker box inside the cabinet--main breakers may be bad, but doubt if both would go bad at same time. Make sure they are tightly installed, also--one of mine tends to loosen over travels.
Let us know what you discover today.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:06 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
I had the same issue. Unplug the power. Go to your circuit breaker box and remove the 50 amp breakers. My breakers switched just fine but the back was blown out do to overheating. I relaxed all the beakers and no more issues. I do check them every 6 months now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3791532864.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	315.8 KB
ID:	51835
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:15 AM   #21

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
by the way, both times they were in stock. Said at store popular item.
Yes, but they sell a lot of the PD 91/92 series converters to replace the single-stage "dumb" battery-boiler converters used in many RVs. It surprises me that they would be selling them to replace defective PD converters - mine have been bulletproof. Did you go back to PD with any of your failed converters to have them repaired for a spare? If so, what did PD say?

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:52 AM   #22

First one was in 2008. Last one this year. I just replaced and trashed.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
Old 12-11-2013, 01:30 PM   #23

Ok, so I am at the rv. I double checked the power to the supply box outside and I have power. I pluged the power cord into good power supply then untwisted the cord that pligs into the power box in the small garage to see if there was a failure in the cord. I have power. I then took off the plate of the box to make sure there was power to the wires that go into the rv (the female twist socket) & there was power. So I know there is power going in to that point. I then moved to the inside breaker box of rv and no power. I removed the cover and tested for power going into the 50 amp breaker and have no power. I then removed the whole box to look behind it to see if there was a inline type surge protecto I
Old 12-11-2013, 01:32 PM   #24

Dont see one, so I am stumped as to where to check next. If any of you want to call me that would be great also. 916_508_5324
Old 12-11-2013, 02:14 PM   #25

One conclusion I would make, is that the event of her RV tripping the breaker, likely caused a surge, if you were plugged in to the same post. That could take out an inline surge protector or internal fuse in the convertor.
I guess, a surge could have blown the porch light as well, assuming it was on at the time.
It's not clear if she unplugged your RV or not.
I would be in the same spot if this were my rig, I would suspect a surge protector but not know if I had one or not.
Hopefully, similar rig owners can help you find it.

Once land power is restored, you can check output of convertor and all breakers.
And I would disconnect positive cable (load) from coach batteries and get a charger on the batteries to restore 12V power.
MJ56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:39 PM   #26

So here is an update. After checking everything I could, I found the manual for the xantrex RS3000 I have in my rig. I found wiring diagram and opened the unit up. I have power going into the unit but no power coming out. I hit reset button and everything reset but still no power coming out. I am the origional owner and called to check on extended warranty and it expired last year, go figure lol. I was told I can change this one out for a 70 amp inverter converter for a fraction of the price to replace this one which they say is good only if you do a lot of dry camping which I dont do. Any thoughts on that?
Old 12-11-2013, 03:36 PM   #27

Just called xantrex and they said to try a hard reset and a rubber mallot not kidding thats what they said. So they said disconnect main power plug, then unscrew the battery terminals coming from the inverter so there is NO power going into the unit at all. Then they said take a rubber mallot and tap the box all over and hope the vibration will disengage the stuck cylinoides in the box, thats what they feel is the problem and ill need to try this a couple of times. If this hard reset does not work, then it will have to be replaced $1500.00 so thats what I am doing now. Have to leave it for 2 hours.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:14 PM   #28

didn't know you has an inverter/convertor in your unit. If you don't need it a convertor is much less $$$.

Tags
power