Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2017, 10:54 PM   #1

2009 Cardinal waste tanks levers stuck

Just purchased 2009 Cardinal first trip. Connected to sewer dump then tried to pull levers to empty holding tanks they were so stiff thought I was going to break them. Slowly got them to move. Very hard to return. Any suggestions on how to lube. I'm sure there is a issue with the doors that open the holding tanks? Ideas?
Hurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2017, 04:04 AM   #2

They make products that you add to the tanks,or you can disassemble them and replace the slide seals if they are like the ones I'm used to.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:49 PM   #3

2009 Cardinal waist tanks levers stuck

Common issue--the lube with a few toilet fills of water will make a huge difference. Keep using per the bottle directions.

Assuming you have ruled out mechanical interference of the pull rod or cable.

After the first couple years mine got increasingly more difficult. I changed the valve and it only lasted a few months then began to get dufficult. I think my situation is that the valve is mounted on the tank horizontally.

Now I put the lube/water in after dumping then cycle the valve fast to spread the lube.

Camco 40246 TST Drain Valve Lube with Coco Oil - 16 oz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EDSSG6..._XpA2ybB274C4F

Thetford RV Drain Valve Lubricant 15843, 24 oz. Bottle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BGK2L0..._huA2ybD34A2PV
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:24 PM   #4

I've had good luck adding Calgon bath beads to the tanks. Wife gets it @ Walmart and seems to make the valves easier to move. May keep contents from sticking to walls, etc. YMMV
Old 04-02-2017, 07:13 AM   #5

I use some Dawn dish detergent and a little mineral oil that I get at Walmart works great!
Kksfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 07:24 AM   #6

Sorry, IMHO none of those suggestions will help one bit. My guess your remote cables are gummed up and /or kinked. Start by taking the handles off one at a time, take themnut holding the cable assembly to the bracket off and slip the cable assembly out so you can get it up a bit. Liberally and I do mean liberally try to force some cleaner down the pull cable. And work it with the reinstalled handle. If they start to free up, great. If not it might be time to replace them. Once the under belly is down its a pretty simple matter of 4 bolts and some plumbers grease to R&R each one. Forest River can ship you the new valve assemblies.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:21 AM   #7

I think if you have cables then 450Donn is probably closer to the right answer. If you have solid rods like I do then the lube suggestions are probably best. Good luck.
Brad
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 09:53 AM   #8

If you have a cable pull assembly there is a very easy way to lube. Go to a motorcycle store or Amazon and buy a cable lube injector. The device clamps around the housing and cable, insert lube straw in hole and squirt. A small can of motorcycle cable lube will last forever and is great for any type of similar cable assembly.
soonerdave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank