Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2014, 01:55 PM   #1
M2D

2010 NuWa Hitchhiker 32.5

We would like to announce that after much research and many lessons learned here on irv2 we have purchased a used fifth wheel.

The previous owners kept it in like new condition. They are long time trailer owners and this was their second NuWa. They had the Discover America 12 inch frame installed along with 7000 lb. axels as so many of you have advised. Right now it has 16 inch G rated tires but I know that many of you suggest 17.5 wheels and tires. We are looking into it.

We are also now looking for a one ton dually truck to pull it.
We are leaning towards a GM.

We are outfitting our new rolling home. Trying to shop in our house first before getting carried away in the stores.

Thank you all for your advice over the past few months,

M2D
M2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2014, 02:57 PM   #2

Congratulations on your new Trailer. Pictures when you get a chance.
I assume the trailer is at home. Did you tow the HH or have it delivered?
Good luck getting your new Dually, will make the ride a lot better.
On the tires just make sure they are new and the type you want.
Scott
Old 09-01-2014, 05:00 PM   #3

Evergreen Owners Club
Congratulations on your new rv. I hope you have many miles of safe travels!
mo5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:19 PM   #4
M2D

Yes. the owner towed it to our place. We actually have a lot in common with him and his wife.

M2D
Old 10-02-2014, 01:00 AM   #5

After having your new to you HitchHiker how you liking it? They are real fine RV's . About your tires if your tires are good and not out of date I would stay with the 16's tell I needed new tires. The 16 G's should hold up great on your RV. Enjoy.
Doug
2006 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Lariat 4X2 PSD 6.0 TorqShift Automatic Transmission. Upfitter Switchers Chrome Door Handles, Oxford White with lower part being Arizona Beige Metallic. Creative Coating Sprayed in bed liner (local Company in Little Rock AR) 2
WD40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:59 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I would think hard at replacing the tires, mine came apart at 6 years old, the dates on yours will be real close to 6 years old. I went with Roadmaster 17.5" tires and couldn't be happier, cost should be under $300 a tire. Good luck on your new purchase and have many enjoyable years with it.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:07 AM   #7

NuWa makes great 5vers. Good luck with it. I like my Chevy, but all the big 3 make nice trucks.
sk734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:09 AM   #8
M2D

Thanks to everyone for your advice.

It took quite a while to finally get our truck. We reported on the Tow forum that we ended up with a Ford F350 diesel dually. Mt husband has a friend with Ford who got us a family and friends price as well as additional rebates being offered.

The Chevy people near us just could not manage to get other dealers to trade in a white 3500 dually diesel. We want a light color for our dogs. It stays cooler that way. It would have been 8 to 10 weeks to order a truck.

We have not towed our new to us fiver as yet because we need to put 500 miles on the diesel engine before we can tow. That is what it says in the manual. We have also been very busy with work on our property and illness in the family. We hope to make at least a short trip soon.

We are onboard with the need to get new tires. I checked the dates and they are OK till next spring but we will likely get new tires soon anyway.

We have the 7000 pound axels and the 12 inch Discover America frame on our HH as that is how the previous owner ordered. I mentioned the possibility of switching to 17.5 inch tires as many here suggest for trouble free travel. He was not sure that we could fit such tires on the trailer due to the closeness of the tires to one another. I have since read that 17.5 inch tires do not take up anymore space between the tires and so we could change them out.

Are the larger tires less wide somehow so they fit into the space? I am having a hard time visualizing this.

Thank you all for your kind advice,

M2D
Old 10-03-2014, 07:14 AM   #9
M2D

Also we have been fortunate to locate a well qualified RV repair business not too far from us. He installed our hitch for us in the new truck and our mud flaps. He has many years experience and is qualified on all of the systems in our trailer.
We really like dealing with an owner operated small shop as opposed to a huge dealership.

M2D
Old 10-03-2014, 12:57 PM   #10

We really like dealing with an owner operated small shop as opposed to a huge dealership.

M2D[/QUOTE]

Me to. If you go to the NUWA HitchHiker Fourm you will find a lot of owners who have gone to the 17.5 Tires and wheels. NuWa RV Owners' Information Exchange
Hope this helps a little.
Doug
2006 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Lariat 4X2 PSD 6.0 TorqShift Automatic Transmission. Upfitter Switchers Chrome Door Handles, Oxford White with lower part being Arizona Beige Metallic. Creative Coating Sprayed in bed liner (local Company in Little Rock AR) 2
WD40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 01:29 PM   #11
M2D

Thanks, yes. I have joined that forum. I will check there about the tires.

M2D
Old 10-03-2014, 05:47 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
M2D,
The 17.5" tires are actually slightly smaller diameter(less than 1/2") and slightly wider. My Alfa 7000# axles are close together and have small wheel wells, and the 17.5" wheels and tires have plenty of room. I have over 5000 miles on mine right now and have had zero issues. Blew a Goodyear G614 at 6 years old with no warning and no obvious defects, so as far as I am concerned, the 17.5" are the only way to go.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:04 AM   #13

You cannot beat NuWa's (Kansas RV Center) service center. Darryl Dennis and his crew are awesome. We were just there last week for a couple of items and received great, professional service. And there is a city campground a couple of blocks away that is free for the first couple of nights.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote