Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2012, 04:59 PM   #15

Congrats on the new KZ. You have a sweet looking combo. I would like to hear how the 6.7 does pulling.
dakotakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2012, 07:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotakid View Post
Congrats on the new KZ. You have a sweet looking combo. I would like to hear how the 6.7 does pulling.
The truck doesn't een know it's back there. Tons of torque that can easily accelerate and pass on the highway. I'm really I decided to get a Cummins. Granted, the mileage isn't the greatest. 16 City empty, 19 Hwy empty, 9 City with trailer and 11 Hwy with trailer. I know I could get significantly better mileage if I do the DPF/EGR deletes with a tuner, but I have a 6-year extended warranty through Dodge. I'll leave it alone for now.
majorloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:23 AM   #17

It's mod time for the trailer.

Starting off small with a couple maintenance items. First items installed was mud dauber screeens for the water heater, furnance and refridgerator vents.

Next up will be vent covers for the two roof vents.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:52 PM   #18

Old 03-27-2012, 06:00 PM   #19

I also changed out the hinges in the bedroom slide closet to full 170 degree Euopean style hinges instead of the 105 degree hinges installed by the factory.

Old hinge on bottom. New hinge on top.

Now I can walk in the bathroom past the open doors. Before it blocked the door to the bedroom.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:30 PM   #20

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
KZ RV Club
Those are nice screens. Did you make them or purchase them?
Old 03-28-2012, 06:56 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortlance View Post
Those are nice screens. Did you make them or purchase them?
Bought from Amazon. They're made by JCJ
JCJ Enterprises - Mud Dauber Screens and Other Recreational Vehicle Accessories

I've got the same stainless steel screen material at work. We use it on various pieces of equipment for the same purpose. It's heavy enough to handle TIG welding to tack it in place. It was just easier to order them already made since they are pressed into the proper domed shapes.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:00 PM   #22

Besides the vent covers for the roof, I'm also looking to install stabilizer bars for the front and rear. Most likely going with the JT Strong Arms, unless somebody has a better suggestion.

JT's RV Accessories
Old 03-29-2012, 01:52 PM   #23

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorloser View Post
Bought from Amazon. They're made by JCJ
JCJ Enterprises - Mud Dauber Screens and Other Recreational Vehicle Accessories

I've got the same stainless steel screen material at work. We use it on various pieces of equipment for the same purpose. It's heavy enough to handle TIG welding to tack it in place. It was just easier to order them already made since they are pressed into the proper domed shapes.
Thanks for the link. I just put the screens on my wish list. I was going to have Family Camping install strong arms last fall when the 5er was in for inspection but I needed 4 new tires on it so that blew the budget and they got put on the back burner for now but the strong arms are going to happen in the near future because my wife wants them
Old 03-29-2012, 07:08 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortlance View Post
Thanks for the link. I just put the screens on my wish list. I was going to have Family Camping install strong arms last fall when the 5er was in for inspection but I needed 4 new tires on it so that blew the budget and they got put on the back burner for now but the strong arms are going to happen in the near future because my wife wants them
That whole Chinese tire isssue scares the hell out of me. My trailer has really only seen the trip from PA to FL and a couple small trips around here. Maybe a few thousand miles. I'm probably going to replace them before they're one year old just to be safe. Since I picked up the trailer I've constantly montored the air pressure. I also check the tire temps at every fuel stop with an IR thermometer.

Just didn't think I'd have a big expense like tires within the first year.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:11 PM   #25

My JT Strongarm set just arrived and should be receiving a MaxxAir II and MaxxFan cover tomorrow. Looks like I'll be busy this weekend installing the new parts.

The JT Strongarms shouldn't be a problem to install. I'm not to freaky about getting my fat butt on the roof to install the vent covers.
It could get ugly.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:21 AM   #26

I got the JT Stongarms installed, installed MaxAir roof vents and added a Winegard Wingman to the TV antenna.

Here's a couple pics of the Strongarms. I drilled the T-bolts and added stainless steel wire with swivels to prevent losing the T-bolts in travel.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:25 AM   #27

I got bored last week so I decided to replace the cheap plastic OEM battery box with a 316 stainless steel box with a hinged lid. I know it's overkill, but it looks cool.

I don't plan on doing any boondocking, but it's not that hard to weld up another box or lengthen this one if I want more batteries.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:11 AM   #28

I had my first real failure on the trailer

The front slide out in the bedroom refused to extend. Only one side would move out a couple inches and it would stop. After a little on-line research I found that the front slide is a Lippert/Schwintek in wall slide out:

Schwintek In Wall Slide-Out

The unit controller is installed in the front storage compartment and would fault when only one slide would fail to move.

I took the trailer to my local dealer and they contacted KZ for warranty repairs. It ends up there is a common fault with the motor units and Lippert covered replacing both electric motors in my trailer under their warranty. I'm glad they replaced both motors so I hopefully won't have further problems after the warranty period ends.

Thank you Lippert making my problem right

Tags
kz-rv