Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2015, 09:20 PM   #1

2013 Lifestyle RV LS37RESL

Hello!

I've been lurking for a considerable amount of time and have finally decided to join the forum and start it off right by requesting the opinions of the many experienced individuals on this site. Inexperienced people are also encouraged to participate.

A little background-my wife and I have made the decision to take the plunge and go full-time. She will be starting out a new role as a traveling nurse, so we will have three month assignments at the different areas we go to. We're currently in the process of selling the stick built house, and have received an offer, which means we need to actually get serious about deciding on a trailer. From what I've researched so far, I would be perfectly happy with any of the Lifestyle Luxury RV floorplans. My wife is a bit pickier than that, which might throw a kink in the entire situation I'm about to present. (She really likes the front living room trailers. Which I do as well, but the two manufacturers I would consider, she doesn't like the bedroom. Grand Design and Bay Hill, if you're curious. I would like to see the Heartland Landmark FL plan, but it's not out yet. Anyway, I'm getting off topic)

I have found a brand new, 2013 LS37RESL. With this being a 2013, the dealer is highly motivated to move the unit and qouted me $75,000 on the phone, with further negotiations when we check out the unit in person. From what I've looked at so far, this seems to be a great deal. One downfall is it has a standard RV LP/electric fridge, not a residential. Not huge fans of the interior colors either, but if it saves us $15,000, I'll certainly learn to love it.

My questions to you-is this in fact a decent price? And what are some of the concerns one might have when looking at a camper that has been sitting for the last couple years?

Thanks in advance, I'm looking forward to being a contributing member of IRV2.
Joseph
JBurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2015, 09:41 PM   #2

Well I would have him put a residential in it along with extra batteries and inverter. The color interior is your preference call. No one can say yea or ney for you on that. Is it worth 15k too you? You and DW have to live in it. If mama not happy...... I think they are very good units.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 04:28 AM   #3

No problem setting. After all, that is one advantage of a 5th over a MH. Even on a high quality 5th wheel like LifeStyle I would expect at least 25% off MSRP and 30% a good deal. That is if I really like the unit. Seems there is enough about this unit that you do not like to make a really low ball offer.

Interior color is important. And did you know the residential style refers are really cheap compared to the RV style? But even I want the residential style in my next rig. They make it more like a home.

Years ago the front living room was a floorplan but did not go over well. That is why some manufacturers do not make it. Now it has come back big time with most builders now making the front living room. I am not sure the FL plan is for me.

The Landmark is a good unit. A unit I like is not a front living but is the Montana 3900 FB. (Front Bath). It is a bath and a half floor plan.

Seems you have to make a quick decision.

Good luck
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 05:35 AM   #4
paz

Jberg,

We looked at a Lifestyle 5th wheel when we were looking at 5th wheels last fall. We liked the look and feel of the interior very much.

Before you consider the Lifestyle, or any RV for full-timing, check the cargo carrying capacity. The CCC of a 5th wheel can usually be found on a label on or near the door frame and also on the left front of the trailer (sometimes on the pin box).

The CCC of the Lifestyle we looked at was low - less than 2000 lbs if I recall - so we ended up not buying it. A rule of thumb is to allow a minimum of 1000 lbs per person for full-timing.

For your reference, we just had our rig weighed, and we are carrying about 3000 lbs including about 1/4 tank of fresh water (20 gal).
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 05:47 AM   #5

Lifestyle RV

Joseph, Not sure if you know but we have a Carriage/Lifestyle website that you can join if you decide to purchase this Lifestyle unit. Please feel free to go into the Carriage Lifestyle Owners Club & Forum • Portal website, look around and you can ask any questions you might have and get the answers from actual owners, some may own the exact unit you and the DW are considering. The club is very organized and professional and welcome all new Carriage and Lifestyle owners.
Larry 1190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:25 AM   #6

As tuffr2 mentioned, it should not be too hard to get 25-30% off the MSRP of a CURRENT model--if you can't do better than that on a 3-year old unit, then it really isn't that great of a markdown. After all, people are already getting 2016 titled units at this time.
Sometimes, my wife has pointed out that I spend too much time considering discounts and would take something I really don't care for just because it is a 'bargain.' But this sounds like you like the layout. Seems I heard somewhere that Lifestyle early units were narrower than the current ones?
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:56 AM   #7

Hold out for 35% off MSRP. Use the build sheet as a guide. If the dealer needs to clear old inventory He'll give you the 35%. I got 36%! Also, I would decline the unit if it does not have 8000 lb axles and disk brakes. The axle upgrade increased my GVWR to 19,100 lbs and includes 17.5" wheels with H rated tires.
Current Lifestyles are 101" wide. 2014 and earlier are 96" wide. I needed the 96".
Good Luck with your negotiations.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:40 AM   #8

rskeans - I thought the first few years the LifeStyle was 96" wide and the Alfa Gold built by Evergreen has always been 102" wide. I remember thinking their top of the line was 96" wide while their next step down Alfa Gold was 102" wide did not make sense to me. Anyway - thanks for verifying.

I agree - start negotiations at least 35% off. But you will have to balance that with your need to find a unit soon.

Good luck
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 05:26 PM   #9

Thanks!

Thank you for the replies everyone. We'll certainly keep in mind all of these suggestions and report back what we find. If anyone thinks of additional items to be mindful of, I'm looking forward to hearing them. I certainly would not have even considered going down to 35%, so I have already benefitted greatly from this thread.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:32 PM   #10

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
We love our Lifestyle. It was ordered to our specs with 8k axles, Dexter Disc brakes, 17.5 inch wheel. It's payload is nearly 5k lbs. due to the upgraded axles. The later 2015 models are wide body and I'm sure the few extra inches inside are nice. However, for our use and many of the state parks we visit, we are fine with the standard width. Good luck, Phillip
Old 04-30-2015, 03:11 PM   #11

I dont believe that any unit just "sits" on a dealers lot. People go in and out of it everyday. They open and close things and break things. Rubber things dry out.
We are happy with the side by side two door rv fridge. Look at the build sheet for the 2013 and compare it to what you want in a 2015-16.
Fulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulltimer View Post
I dont believe that any unit just "sits" on a dealers lot. People go in and out of it everyday. They open and close things and break things. Rubber things dry out.
We are happy with the side by side two door rv fridge. Look at the build sheet for the 2013 and compare it to what you want in a 2015-16.
With that in mind, (and seeing that you own the exact unit in question) with three years of tours of the trailer being given, would there be anything in particular that you would suggest be given a significantly closer look?

On a side note, have you had any major issues? Such as slides not retracting/extending. I'm thinking significant items that couldn't be fixed with basic tools...
Old 05-01-2015, 08:32 AM   #13

My biggest issues come from the slides. Alignments, rubber seals, operation.
The floor in the rear in front of the fireplace slopes down a couple of inches. The floor in the front, in front of the closet will slope down when not hooked up, and will be even when hooked up. All of the screws that hold the bottom of the front cap, are gone. Screws by front, lower part of the main slide opening are gone. The factory "fixed" a crack in the outside wall with a molding strip.

I am still happy with the unit, after all what are the choices these days?
Fulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:51 PM   #14

Thanks for the feedback.

Man! One of the biggest things that lures me to the lifestyle was the build. I was thinking they would be the one of the last guys to have issues with their slides!