Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2020, 12:46 PM   #1

2020 GM HD Standard Bed / 5'er hitch

I posted a similar post in the tow-vehicle section, but I thought maybe the 5'er specific forum would have some different inside.

I currently have a 2019 GMC DRW long bed. I currently tow a big travel trailer, heavy equipment flat bed, dump trailer, etc., i.e., most things from the conventional hitch. But I foresee a 5'er in my near future. With the new tow specs, I am considering a 2020 3500 SRW as I think it would meet my towing needs without the DRW or long box. My big question is whether the new regular box that is supposedly longer is long enough to run a 5th wheel hitch without needing a slider hitch. I don't really have any interest in going back to an SRW with a long box. That is, if I am going to run a long box, I might as well get the extra wheels, IMO, but I also don't really want to screw around with a box that is too short for the job.

Anyone know the answer?
jjackrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2020, 12:53 PM   #2

Well long bed eliminates the slider. The standard or 6' bed only elminates the slider in some c ases depending on the nose of the 5ver your looking at. DRW and long bed are better for towing. Better ride etc. Long bed allows the air ride hitches from trailer saver and few others to come into possible choices then.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 01:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolenut View Post
Well long bed eliminates the slider. The standard or 6' bed only elminates the slider in some c ases depending on the nose of the 5ver your looking at. DRW and long bed are better for towing. Better ride etc. Long bed allows the air ride hitches from trailer saver and few others to come into possible choices then.
The 2020 GMs have a little over a 6 & 1/2' bed (instead of just 6'). My specific question was whether this improvement over 2019 was enough to make a difference with the slider and I guess now whether this is enough to get the better air ride hitches you mentioned.
Old 02-06-2020, 01:03 PM   #4

8ft bed will not be an issue for you. However pay close attention to payload capacity and rear GAWR. Those are the limiting factor long before you get max towing capacity.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 01:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
8ft bed will not be an issue for you.
Do you mean the 6.5' bed will not be an issue, i.e., it will be fine?
Old 02-06-2020, 02:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackrash View Post
Do you mean the 6.5' bed will not be an issue, i.e., it will be fine?

Sorry missed you didn't want a long bed. no if going with a short bed you should get a slider hitch, then no problem
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 03:24 PM   #7

some 5vers the nose is shaped to not need the slider they say. but that depends on which 5ver you get.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 07:07 PM   #8
JDT

The new 2020 GMC/Chevy standard box length at floor is 82.20 inches according the GMC website. That's closer to 7 feet than 6.5. May make a little difference to you.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 07:55 PM   #9

Most new 5th wheel trailer have a rounded/notched front corners for short bed trucks which would eliminate the need for a sliding hitch.
There is no generic answer and you won't get a consensus . Too many rv folks still stuck with the way we did it 10 years ago.....or not keeping up with changing technology.

Dodge/Ram is a 6' 4" short bed and many with the newer trailers find they don't need a slider or if they have one they never use it. One poor guy bit into the "ya' gotta' have a slider" with any short bed truck. He unloaded his wallet for a expensive SuperGlide auto sliding hitch. Later...He found it wasn't needed and after 3 months had it for sale on CL.

See the trailer mfg or dealer for their input.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 08:52 AM   #10

My ram has a 6’4” bed, and I use the Andersen Ultimate hitch. I can turn it past 90°. My 5er is new(July), and has the contoured front cap.
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 09:04 AM   #11

yes your gm will more than likely be fine with that box. I use an Anderson as well and have never felt the need for a slider I have 6.4 box as well, yours will be about 3 inches more space allowing tighter turns
barr0208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 12:06 PM   #12

My F350 has a 6.75 bed and I went with a full-profile wide-body fiver.

I know I can still get in trouble without a slider, but I went with an Andersen Ultimate Hitch. The adapter is mounted behind the kingpin, which gives better clearance around the tailgate but risks the cab. So I added a B&W offset ball to help equal things out.

I'm happy with the tests I've done on level ground. And I will be hyper alert if/when we're dealing with off level situations.

Best regards,
Chris
BubbaChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 09:34 PM   #13

I just measured the pin to cab distance on my 2020 crew cab with 6-9 bed. I have a B&W Companion puck system hitch with the pin set 2" behind the rear axle. With this setup my pin is about 46" from the back of the crew cab. That includes an allowance for the Dinali spoiler on the cab. So I would need a slider or narrow nose 5er or a Reese Revolution/Sidewinder (it sets the pivot back 22 inches). I have the latter. I've had it for 5 years and other than a very dangerous wedge failure,** it's been great. It gives me about 18" between 5er and cab when I'm at 90 degrees.

** My first wedge failed after four years leaving the 5er swinging around wildly. The welds were really bad. The replacement has four or five times deeper welds and should be fine.
hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 12:00 AM   #14

Good info. Thanks.