Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2022, 11:36 AM   #29

r3842id can you expand on the 5" pvc

the plenum ducts in my 320GK are only about 1/2-3/4 of an inch. I had wondered if they had colapsed as many things break in the Vilano when driving down the road.

where (and how) do you put the 5 " PVC (I assume it is a piece of pipe).

Thanks
lringstad52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2022, 10:30 PM   #30

Most use a 1.5" OD piece of PVC cut into about 5" lengths. You then place those into each intake - one in each direction. You may have to use a bit smaller length on the metal intakes in the kitchen as I recall I did.

My ducts were restricted enough that they were completely closed off when the AC was running. Vanleigh started placing styrofoam spacers in the sides of the ducts on the 22 models to help reduce this issue.

It made a huge difference for us although as I likely stated I would prefer not to have the ducted system. It is aesthetically pleasing but not as efficient as previous rigs I have owned.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-08-04 at 10.32.51 PM.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	372858  
r3842id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 07:11 AM   #31

So frustrating

I looked at the spacing of the ducts and saw there was only a 1" separation between the top and bottom duct. However, I can push the top duct up another 1" to 1 1/2" and when I let go, it just goes back down. I like the pipe idea but one could only put a small 5" piece in if that. What about the entire run of the vent?

Yesterday, we left Las Vegas and arrived in Hawthorne Nevada where it was only 90 degrees out and overcast. I still could not get our coach below 80 degrees with all three air units on.

We are on our way home today and if I get home early enough I will make another call to Vanleigh.

Great thread and good ideas to be found here. Thanks to all.
steveswitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 08:06 AM   #32

I had read good things about that brand and model, and liked the layout if I remember correctly.

A major defect like that is enough for me to strike the brand off of my list. Gee whiz man, two A/Cs not enough, and 3 barely making a dent in temperature? I really believe that they have to be poorly insulated along with the poorly designed ductwork.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 12:38 PM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I agree with r3842id that the attic ducting is not favorable in this design, especially when the factory packs in a layer of insulation batting that seems to be crushing the ducting in such a shallow attic.

Further, the intake and outflow ducts may be acting as big long heat sinks somewhat, I would think, being so close to the RV skin? Is it common for RVs with full HVAC ducting to have such little attic space? There is a solar shield layer of sorts, but still.

I included some snapshots I took at the factory last fall.

Thankfully with 3 ACs, double pane windows, solar shades, and now crutches in the ducting , I can cool mine down pretty good in some extreme Texas heat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20211012_151227.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	351.3 KB
ID:	372890   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211012_151258.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	360.0 KB
ID:	372891  

Name:	20211012_151448.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	372892  
Old 08-05-2022, 07:47 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveswitz View Post
I looked at the spacing of the ducts and saw there was only a 1" separation between the top and bottom duct. However, I can push the top duct up another 1" to 1 1/2" and when I let go, it just goes back down. I like the pipe idea but one could only put a small 5" piece in if that. What about the entire run of the vent?
With the 320 / 34RLB the runs between intakes are small enough that the pipe seems to work okay. The longest run is between the bathroom and above the sink and I ran a scope in mine to make sure it was holding up. I have met a few that pushed through the PVC to midway and added another at the edge as I pictured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerdude View Post
Further, the intake and outflow ducts may be acting as big long heat sinks somewhat, I would think, being so close to the RV skin? Is it common for RVs with full HVAC ducting to have such little attic space? There is a solar shield layer of sorts, but still.

I have thought the exact same thing - but there really isn't enough insulation in the roof for the ducting used. They need to pack in more but change the ducting. I have had my roof replaced at Tish and if I had to do over would have had Danny add additional bat up there. My cap has also been removed for broken welds and that is another place I would like additional bat. I am headed back to Tish next month and they are removing my cap again so I won't miss that opportunity again.

You must have snapped those pictures before they made the new rule of no pics in the plant.
Old 08-05-2022, 09:30 PM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3842id View Post
I have thought the exact same thing - but there really isn't enough insulation in the roof for the ducting used. They need to pack in more but change the ducting. I have had my roof replaced at Tish and if I had to do over would have had Danny add additional bat up there. My cap has also been removed for broken welds and that is another place I would like additional bat. I am headed back to Tish next month and they are removing my cap again so I won't miss that opportunity again.

You must have snapped those pictures before they made the new rule of no pics in the plant.
I have an appt for some touchups at Tish in Oct. Am hoping to schedule a tour of Red Bay this trip. Will hide my camera.
Old 08-06-2022, 07:30 AM   #36

Quote:
I agree with r3842id that the attic ducting is not favorable in this design, especially when the factory packs in a layer of insulation batting that seems to be crushing the ducting in such a shallow attic.

Thankfully with 3 ACs, double pane windows, solar shades, and now crutches in the ducting , I can cool mine down pretty good in some extreme Texas heat.
I encourage anyone who is buying any RV today to get the double pane windows. Unfortunately, my Vilano doesn't have them and man do they get hot as hell. I understand this new design of these windows as the old slider design was nothing but problems with leaks. With that said, I actually don't like this new design. My windows don't open very far (they open from the bottom and tilt out) and really don't allow any cross-draft through the coach; unless it is very windy out. It is my understanding that the newer coaches have these windows but they do tilt further making it easier for air to circulate.

But, with the absolute black single pane windows, and in direct sun, I can't even touch them as it will burn my hand. So, imagine on the inside having this big, black heater on the side of your coach, and not being able to cool it. That is why I installed the second awning as it covered the 4x5 foot black window. I am trying to figure out how to cover the back window but haven't found a solution yet as the ladder is in the way to mount a shade that has the side legs....ugh
Old 08-06-2022, 10:40 AM   #37

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3842id View Post
...My cap has also been removed for broken welds and that is another place I would like additional bat. I am headed back to Tish next month and they are removing my cap again so I won't miss that opportunity again....
Hey I forgot to mention this, and you are likely already aware, but the front cap area looks like it can definitely use additional buttoning up with insulation and whatnot. Was pretty shocked when I saw this video at a channel I subscribe to. https://youtu.be/K8O6yPCMp68?t=270

Quote:
...That is why I installed the second awning as it covered the 4x5 foot black window....
Agree 100% on importance of 2nd awning. I keep both awnings deployed to block the sun if winds and trees allow.
Old 08-06-2022, 06:58 PM   #38

Quote:

How do the double pane windows handle the heat? What is the temperature difference between the sunny side and the inside?
Old 08-06-2022, 07:16 PM   #39

Upon further inspection today, I found that at the end of the coach, the distance between the top of the air box (return side) and the bottom is 13/16". This seems really, really low and restrictive. I can push it up to almost 2&1/2" which if I could keep it there would seem to me to make a big difference. In the middle, there is around 1&3/4".

I also noticed that the air box runs way past the rear-most vents. I am going to scope it to see if there is anything after the rear vents. It would seem logical that if I placed a block in the air box just past the rear-most vents it would help direct the air better. Am I missing something with this logic?

And, has anyone tried the trick of modifying the plenum box just under the roof air conditioners? Unfortunately, we don't have the inside roof box which would make it really easy to do so I guess I will have to remove the air conditioners and do it from above. If you haven't seen this modification, here it is:

There are many videos on this and I just picked this one. Folks are saying you will get 40% or more airflow. If I do it, I will use an Anemometer for before and after results to really see what it does. Has anyone pulled the roof air conditioner? If so, what is involved? Is it a standard plenum under it?

I am determined to get this working. I have three 15k air conditioners and I can't keep my coach comfortable.
Old 08-06-2022, 08:26 PM   #40
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
You can go to the last vent in the duct run, pull the diverter off and stuff the end of the duct with a towel. I've done that in ours to block air flow past that last vent.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 10:45 PM   #41

Quote:
Hey I forgot to mention this, and you are likely already aware, but the front cap area looks like it can definitely use additional buttoning up with insulation and whatnot.
We were actually in the factory for five days and watched ours get built from frame to finish. So I have been aware of the opportunity in that cap. I kick myself for missing the opportunity to address it for sure.
Old 08-07-2022, 10:34 AM   #42

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
How do the double pane windows handle the heat? What is the temperature difference between the sunny side and the inside?
RV is in its garage at the moment. I'll check on our next trip. Not sure that second pane does much for blocking solar energy, though, but I'm sure the added layer/gap otherwise helps "some" with negating overall heat transfer in extreme cold/heat. I would recommend the solar shade option first if you don't already have those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
You can go to the last vent in the duct run, pull the diverter off and stuff the end of the duct with a towel. I've done that in ours to block air flow past that last vent.
I think that's a great idea. Worth a try. Every little bit helps.