Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2021, 09:42 PM   #1

Heartland RV Club
2021 Keystone Fifth Wheel ALPINE 3712KB experiences

Looking at purchasing a 2021 Keystone Fifth Wheel ALPINE 3712KB. Did some initial research on reviews and getting a mixed signal. I am a little leery with the newer rv's because of the quality issues that have been reported/talked and about.

If anyone has any experience with the 21 Keystone Alpine series it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2021, 08:03 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The quality control on the newer RV is a 100% crapshoot. Across any one manufacturer, you will find decent quality control and you will find really poor QC. Our daughter and her husband bought a new Cedar Creek this year and was fairly pleased with the overall quality of the RV and have very few issues since delivery and had it out at least 6 times. They decided on Forest River over Keystone after lots of searching.

Make sure you have a dealer with a great rating and a knowledgeable salesperson. You do not want a salesperson that was selling used cars last month.

They had a good salesperson that took the time to go over the RV with them in detail and made sure make-ready had everything ready for delivery. Delivery went smoothly and no real issues with it since delivery.

This is not your first RV and it the Alpine is quiet a step down from your present Itasca. Make sure you have enough truck to pull as well as carry the trailers loaded pin weight. Do not use the brochure weights for your truck selection.

The trailer is listed as 14,013 lb plus 2487 lb carrying capacity for a GVWR of 16,500 lb. This will have a loaded pin weight of around 3300 lb (ignore the brochure dry weight number). You might get by with a SRW 1 ton truck, but I would get a 1-ton DRW (dually).

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 09:16 AM   #3

Heartland RV Club
Thanks for the feedback. We are looking to put a 5th wheel permanently on a site we own in Fl. Seems like the 5th wheels have more space/storage then our MH. The floorplan on this looks interesting and has our requirements of residential fridge and washer and dryer.
Old 12-01-2021, 08:48 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Keep in mind, most reviews on these things are made by upset individuals. Sometimes some will "expand" the bad experiences they have had.
Our unit we purchased in October 2017, before the Covid issues, and have had some issues come up on it. But these issues have been seen on other rigs as well. For example, a broken spring hangar on our rear spring, we have a tri-axle toy hauler, seen several that have had the same issues.
Another was a sidewall crack, when I talked to the company, they confirmed they have been having issues with this problem, and they paid for the repairs.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 01:59 PM   #5

Keystone 3712KB

We have a 2021 3712KB. It's our first 5W, and we are full timers since Apr. We pull with a 2009 GMC 3500 DRW. The storage areas in this coach are enormous.

My wife was very specific about what she wanted. Separate kitchen and living room, king bed, WD, etc. After 8 months we still love the floorplan. As others have stated, it's a crapshoot regarding QC. We have had no major issues, but a long list of warranty items. At the end of our 1st year (Sep 2021), we had made an appointment with our purchasing dealer, Bob Hurley in Tulsa. Major items have been repaired, others are still waiting for parts (supply chain issues).

Some items to be aware of:

Dealer work has to be scheduled a month or two in advance. Your dealer may be different, but most likely not.

You may have to return to your original dealer. My experience is a dealer in a different state is not anxious to do warranty work.

The process for warranty work can take awhile. Process seems to be: tech identifies the problem, submits it to warranty. Warranty makes a decision. If parts need to be ordered, that may delay. If you're full-timing and your dealer does let you stay in the coach, you have to find other lodging.

Feel free to holler with any other general questions, or questions specific to this model.
FT Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 10:02 PM   #6

Believe me it wasn’t any different before Covid and supply chain .Now they just have two more things to blame their slow repair times on .
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 09:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
Believe me it wasn’t any different before Covid and supply chain .Now they just have two more things to blame their slow repair times on .
x2.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 09:12 AM   #8

We actually acquired the predecessor to that floor plan - a used 2018 Alpine 3660FL after walking through multiple new 3712KBs and saying it was about right. Its very similar, main differences is we have a 6th slide in the bedroom with the W/D and Closets in it - and the pantry is not quite as deep as the KB.

Its a good unit, we really enjoy the separation of the different rooms. The Heating/cooling on this coach is very good, its barely even noticed the 20F degree weather we've been in recently. It is called "Alpine" after all. We love the in command controls. The furrion appliances are fine, though the fan on the oven runs even after the oven is off until its cool, which is annoying. The dishwasher included is ridiculously small, BUT IT WORKS and a small DW is better then none at all.

My major complaints with it is the rather low GVWR for the unloaded weight, and the pretty small tanks - neither which will affect you at a seasonal site. You are basically overloaded the day you pull off the lot with a WD and Onan, and the tank sizes mean its really only setup for a day or three off grid.
We actually "found" the kitchen gray water tank after it filled up and backed up the sink as it wasn't documented, and the valve is NOT in the Water compartment, but rather hidden under the kitchen slide out. Oops. We've had some issues with trim falling off, but all pretty normal. Its Keystone after all.

I wouldn't have any problem recommending an Alpine.
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 10:09 AM   #9

Additional thoughts...

Love the pantry. 3 walls of floor to ceiling cabinets and a nice counter that fits our coffee supplies, Keurig, air fryer, and ice machine.

I had doubts about the fireplace, but it has been a very nice amenity. Even just to take the chill off in the morning during coffee.

The bottom of the top cabinet to the sides of the TV is sharp, like a razor. Man, that hurts. Also the bottom of the top cabinets in the bathroom. We installed round moulding to save my head.

Standard TV was a POS. It's a Jensen. I remember those as speakers back in the day. We replaced it with a 50" Samsung smart TV. What a difference!

Don't know why Keystone puts in a Microwave/Convection combo, especially when you already have an oven. The microwave is underpowered (takes 2 popcorn cycles, for example). That may be the next purchase.

Love the very large shower and the tankless hot water.

Lastly, a suggestion for the manufacturers. It might be just me, but the RV in the bedroom is a device we never use. Take that space and give me another cabinet. I'd pay extra for that.
FT Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, keystone