Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2022, 06:17 PM   #1

2021 Vanleigh 42RKB Wiring Schematic

Looking for a wiring schematic to try and chance down how my batteries keep going dead with the master switch off after a week in the driveway. Dealer is saying I have to disconnect a battery terminal which I have never had to do with any other RV or boat I have owned.
VentureUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2022, 06:38 PM   #2

Bet you propane carbon monoxide detector is still got power. If you have a bpmpro or one control the Jack's are still live as well.
Our Jayco is wired that way!
Best solution is to disconnect negative battery terminal or add a second battery disconnect at the batteries.
We just leave ours plugged in. Others have added solar panel with basic controller to keep battery charged

RoadrunnerII
Old 07-04-2022, 07:29 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
If your VanLeigh has an inverter, be sure to turn it off. Tiffin wires all inverters on their coaches directly to the battery bank and I assume they do the 5ers the same way. The 12v disconnect switch does not disconnect the inverter.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 10:07 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VentureUSA View Post
Looking for a wiring schematic to try and chance down how my batteries keep going dead with the master switch off after a week in the driveway. Dealer is saying I have to disconnect a battery terminal which I have never had to do with any other RV or boat I have owned.
We have a 2018 Road Warrior, Heartland product, but there are some items directly connected to the batteries that does a continues drain.
As mentioned,
LP detector
also microwave, 12VDC radio, if installed maybe a backup camera, also maybe a TMPS system. Our backup camera is hooked directly to the battery and is on all the time.
When we stored our rig, I had to turn off each, of which we have 2, battery disconnects and unplug the TPMS system.

How many batteries disconnects do you have?
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 01:52 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You still have a power draw even using the battery disconnect. The hydraulic system is connected before the battery disconnect so it'll continue to draw power. I've got solar and lithium in our Beacon and before adding those, the dealer supplied lead acid batteries were pretty bad and I had to constantly check their levels.

Vanleigh provides the following information on their website FAQs.

Why are my batteries dead when the RV is coming out of storage?

The batteries are dead because the hydraulic pump asks to remain energized taking power from the batteries. Additionally, any appliance in the coach with an internal clock does the same thing. This can be alleviated by either disconnecting your batteries before departure OR tripping the 100A breaker on the left wall of the battery compartment.
StuartN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 04:12 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Not the OP here but thought I'd chime in since I have a Vanleigh too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
If your VanLeigh has an inverter, be sure to turn it off. Tiffin wires all inverters on their coaches directly to the battery bank and I assume they do the 5ers the same way. The 12v disconnect switch does not disconnect the inverter.
Correct. Vanleighs are wired the same way as their Tiffin motorcoach brethren it appears. With the inverter turned on, the residential fridge will run down the batteries in my Vanleigh in a heartbeat when not hooked to electric, even with the battery disconnect engaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartN View Post
You still have a power draw even using the battery disconnect. The hydraulic system is connected before the battery disconnect so it'll continue to draw power. I've got solar and lithium in our Beacon and before adding those, the dealer supplied lead acid batteries were pretty bad and I had to constantly check their levels.

Vanleigh provides the following information on their website FAQs.

Why are my batteries dead when the RV is coming out of storage?

The batteries are dead because the hydraulic pump asks to remain energized taking power from the batteries....
Ditto on the blue text. The OneControl panel for the Level Up system is still powered and responsive when not hooked to electric and battery disconnect engaged. Why that is, I have no idea, other than maybe power is required to keep the "level" calibration from being erased?

Other responses in this thread are likely true as well (other than I definitely have to set my microwave clock every time I unplug), but I have experienced the above quoted responses to be true for sure in my Vanleigh!
Old 07-05-2022, 04:47 PM   #7

One of the first issues I found was a dead battery in our 2019 369FB ...wired in a second battery, then re-wired the entire battery compartment (see photo) after noting large sparks when pulling the battery negative cable (larger sparks = larger current draw).

Now, I have to turn on/off one master kill switch. And even when off, solar charging is still possible via one 100W solar panel, which runs thru a Renogy regulator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220419_161123_copy_784x1613.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	211.6 KB
ID:	370221  
Old 07-05-2022, 08:23 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VentureUSA View Post
Everybody already explained the things still drawing power even with the "disconnect" switch off. It's the way things are in the 5th wheel world. Heck - even my motorhome drew power with the disconnect off.

The disconnect is for "house" stuff. Not chassis stuff or CO monitors and such.

Pulling off the negative cable from you battery is the best way to be sure nothing get power. Some folks go as far as installing a disconnect on the negative side.
Old 07-14-2022, 02:52 PM   #9

I had the same issue with my 320GK. After performing a parasitic draw test on all wires I found that (as others mentioned) the leveling system stays activated even when the battery disconnect switch is off. What I do now is pull the 20amp fuse from the yellow fuse holder next to battery that is connected to the leveling system. Not only does this then stop the power draw from the batteries but is also a theft deterrent since the leveling jacks wont work. This is alot easier than disconnecting the ground wire.

On another subject, I am in the process of adding a DC DC charger to by battery system since the 7 pin connector only gives less than a trickle charge (less than 5 amps) to the batteries while driving. You can only imagine the amount of power draw from batteries (such as the inverter that runs the refrigerator) when towing and on a long trip will deplete your house batteries. The DC DC charger will apply a 50 amp 3 stage charge while towing, In addition, Vanleigh used the Furrion solar panel connection that no solar panel will hook up too. With the DC DC charger you just plug in the 2 wires from a solar panel and it does all the work for you automatically, no additional parts needed.
texcwa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wiring