Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2022, 08:41 AM   #1

2022 F450 Needs a Hitch !

Good morning my friends....

I finally decided to give my 02 7.3 a break, and purchased a '22 F450...with prep package

I've been doing a lot of research, comparing and bouncing back in forth between different brands.

Currently have a 2011 Sundance with a 14k GVWR.

When choosing a hitch, I always like to go Overkill for possible weight increases in the future.

The Resse M5, for instance, is a contender....along with many others.

The Anderson looks cool...but I've seen some photos that have shown disasters.

Can anyone provide some input as to what they like/dislike on their current set ups ?

Thanks to all !!
Chiefrocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2022, 08:51 AM   #2

I have an Andersen Ultimate that works just fine and I know several other people that use them. If you look closely at the posts of failures you will see that most are of the same incident from different angles. Yes, they can fail, but so can anything else. If you search, you will find pics of failures with the B&W hitches and they are supposed to be the best out there. That being said, if I was starting over I would go with a Reese Goosebox on the trailer and just use a gooseneck hitch in the bed of the truck.
Bill Nourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 09:14 AM   #3

If I had a long bed, I would have already purchased a Gen Y Executive goose neck pin box. I do not like the Andersen Ultimate hitch or others of similar design. I have a short bed truck because Ram doesn't have the Megacab with long bed option. As such, I use a Pullrite Superglide. It is big and heavy, so I have an electric hoist installed to help manage install and removal as needed. I wish I could have the goose neck option...
darrellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 09:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nourse View Post
I have an Andersen Ultimate that works just fine and I know several other people that use them. If you look closely at the posts of failures you will see that most are of the same incident from different angles. Yes, they can fail, but so can anything else. If you search, you will find pics of failures with the B&W hitches and they are supposed to be the best out there. That being said, if I was starting over I would go with a Reese Goosebox on the trailer and just use a gooseneck hitch in the bed of the truck.
Thanks Bill, good to know.
Old 07-18-2022, 09:21 AM   #5

I too have the Super Glide in my 02 F250 short bed. I believe its the biggest model. In fact, they discontinued that model.

In my case I use a cherry picker.

I will further look into options...

Thank you
Old 07-18-2022, 11:38 AM   #6

I have a B&W companion. It is heavy but it is easy to hook up and you easily know it is locked in. It pulls great with no chucking. I have it is my 2017 F350 DRW. I pull it out with a 2 post lift. I have a 13500 lb fifth wheel. The key to a good ride is rear tire pressure. I keep mine at 65 PSI. Any more and I get allot of bouncing. I have 2785 lbs of pin weight.
Dieselguy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 11:57 AM   #7

If you are in to overkill, then just get a Trailer Saver BD5 or a BD3 set up for your truck. The optimum would be a Trailer Saver TS3, but you would need an adapter. There are many quality solid hitches out there such as the Reese, B&W, Pullrite, Andersen, Curt. Then, there are other hitches that just do more in terms of towing comfort and gear protection.
Old 07-19-2022, 09:18 AM   #8

I got a 2022 F450 and went with the Gen-Y Gooseneck. I like being able to easily use the truck as a truck....

-G
BrokeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 09:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefrocka View Post
...........When choosing a hitch, I always like to go Overkill for possible weight increases in the future..........Can anyone provide some input as to what they like/dislike on their current set ups ?.......
Agree with overkill. I have always had convential fifth wheel hitches. Currently have a Curt Q24, fixed, 24,00-lbs gross towing weight and 6,000-lbs vertical load limit hitch. Like other hitches, it has 3 height positions. It is competitively priced, easily and securely locks the king pin hitch and does not move during towing even while towing over bumps say over a highway overpass when leaving the roadway.

Tags
hitch