Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2021, 11:46 PM   #1

21 RAM 3500 Problems with pucks?

I just sold my 2016 Longhorn Ram 3500 and updated to a 21 3500 Ram. I purchased a Hensley BD5 Trailersaver fithwheel hitch. Supposed to be the best. I cannot seem to get the hitch to mount tight in the pucks. Surely I an not the only person having this problem. Right now i am extremely disappointed. Would rather have my B&W Patriot back. But it will not fit this new truck due to a round receiver for the ball instead of the square receiver. Anyone else have this issue and can tell me how to tight this. Very scary overtime I stop or take off. Clank!! Clank!! That can't be right.

Mark
mstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2021, 12:03 AM   #2

Have you contacted Hensley regarding your issue?
Another alternative is to see if B&W will sell you the base for the puck system and use your old B&W head.

Tim
Old 10-18-2021, 12:06 AM   #3

"It may be necessary to adjust the feet if the connection between the hitch and your truck is too loose or the handles won’t close.
If this happens, raise the hitch out of the mounting holes and remove the d-ring clips connecting the handles to the feet.
You can either tighten or loosen the feet by turning the rod on the bottom of the foot to properly adjust.
Lower back down into the mounting holes and continue.

Using a 1 ˝” open end wrench, tighten the large nut on the top side of the foot"

Pg 7 of manual
http://www.trailersaver.com/wp-conte...BD5-Manual.pdf
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 07:49 AM   #4

My 20 Ford is the same way. One side is snug. Other side loose. The feet are only adjustable in half turn increments because a pin has to line up between the foot rod and locknut on the handle. I called Aaron at Trailersaver and he said this was quite common on ford's. Can't speak for Rams
Old 10-18-2021, 07:59 AM   #5

Evergreen Owners Club
I have a Curt A25 installed in my 2021 3500, no issues with it!
Old 10-18-2021, 12:32 PM   #6

Problems with RAM puck system

Thanks to each one who responded to my thread. 1. Yes I did contact Hensley. They act as if I am the only one with this problem. Youtube video I watched proved that I am not the only one. However the producer of the video I watched has no way for me to question him about a solution. 2. Yes I have adjusted the T-bolts and tightened the jam nut. It works for the first few miles until I have to make a hard or sudden stop. I adjusted this daily while on a 2 thousand mile trip. 3 a new base from B&W is $1100. I felt I was improving by investing in this Trailersaver by Hensley. I had a couple Hensley Arrow hitches and found those to be great. I had a Air Safe Technology hitch in another truck and loved the air ride. So this isn’t my first rodeo. I researched this prior to purchase. Just wanted to reach out to the great wealth of wisdom found on this forum. Thanks
Old 10-18-2021, 12:48 PM   #7

Are you still within Trailer Saver's satisfaction guarantee window? It sounds like you aren't satisfied and may have to return it.

I've never had any contact with Hensley's customer service because I was happy the moment I hooked up my TS3. This doesn't sound like their typical reaction to a problem.
Old 10-18-2021, 03:31 PM   #8
Community Moderator

It is my understanding the truck manufacturers use different size pucks for the trucks. Did they send you the correct size of puck for the Ram and not for a Ford or GMC product?
A friend had a 2021 Ford SRW 350 and bought a SRW 2021 GMC, the hitch would not fit do to the puck sizes and had to get a different adapter to move the hitch from Ford to GMC.
Just a thought , check to see if it is an issue or not.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 07:22 PM   #9

Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstan View Post
I just sold my 2016 Longhorn Ram 3500 and updated to a 21 3500 Ram. I purchased a Hensley BD5 Trailersaver fithwheel hitch. Supposed to be the best. I cannot seem to get the hitch to mount tight in the pucks. Surely I an not the only person having this problem. Right now i am extremely disappointed. Would rather have my B&W Patriot back. But it will not fit this new truck due to a round receiver for the ball instead of the square receiver. Anyone else have this issue and can tell me how to tight this. Very scary overtime I stop or take off. Clank!! Clank!! That can't be right.

Mark
So I went thru the same thing. Took many measurements and finally decided the feet just were not compatible with my 2020. Aaron sent me some remachined pins based on my measurements that pulled it tighter into the pucks , but left the frame of the hitch sitting on the bed ribs. At the time they had just started producing the RAM hitch , and I think they were using another manufacturer’s attachments fitted to their frame. They looked more like Ford pins , and were all the same size. The RAM uses two different sized pins and feet. Must have had that hitch in and out of the bed 20 times. Also had a defective air bag I replaced before ever installing. I finally gave up and sent it back.
Charlie
cfowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 09:16 PM   #10

Well that makes sense. Thank you for sharing your experience.
Old 10-19-2021, 05:56 AM   #11

This is a good thead and shows that getting the 5th wheel prep option is only the 1st step. Step 2 is getting a hitch to fit tight. I was lucky because back in 2012 my truck only had one hitch for it's pucks. That was a Reese Elite. It fit tight and did not clank.

I would be like the OP, frustrated that the fancy expensive hitch does not work like it is supposed to.

Also I learned that the puck systems are different on Ram, Ford and GM. That makes it tough on the hitch manufacturers.

OP - not sure what you mean by a hard stop. In 6.5 years I only made 1 hard stop as I really anticipate traffic when towing. Would a lock tight product help in your case?
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 08:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
"It may be necessary to adjust the feet if the connection between the hitch and your truck is too loose or the handles won’t close.
If this happens, raise the hitch out of the mounting holes and remove the d-ring clips connecting the handles to the feet.
You can either tighten or loosen the feet by turning the rod on the bottom of the foot to properly adjust.
Lower back down into the mounting holes and continue.

Using a 1 ˝” open end wrench, tighten the large nut on the top side of the foot"

Pg 7 of manual
http://www.trailersaver.com/wp-conte...BD5-Manual.pdf

I had to do the same with the picture frame adapter for our 2016 Ram. The instructions were simple to make the attachment tight.
My Reese 16K hitch, and Reese picture frame, make for a tighter attachment than the rails in our old 2001 Ram.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 10:45 AM   #13

That is interesting. I oped out of the pucks on my 2017 F350 and went with a B&W companion with the turn over ball. I was going to change mine to the puck system but my friends 2020 Chevy 3500 with a puck system kept having a loud bang when accelerating or slowing down. We finally found out that the feet that go into the pucks on the B&W companion were 1/8 inch to narrow letting the hitch slide back and forth in the pucks. After working with B&W they sent him another base and this one seem tight. I decided to keep my hitch the way it is.
Dieselguy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 11:45 AM   #14

'21 RAM 3500 with a new Anderson.. perfect..

Tags
ems, problem, problems