Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2023, 11:50 AM   #1

'23 Ram Dually not 5th wheel prepped...how to make it ready?

I found a '23 3500 dually that does not have the 5th wheel prep package. It looks like I can purchase a prep package from Mopar to ready the bed and then find an accessory pig tail to tie in the electrical?
https://store.mopar.com/oem-parts/mo...wtbDYtZGllc2Vs

I saw B&W has a way to tie in rails for a truck with out the prep package but it's only rated for 18k, whereas the 5th wheel I'll be towing will be close to 20k.

Any input? I appreciate it.
Coletrain67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2023, 12:39 PM   #2

Just curious - does it have a trailer brake controller? The hardest part of installation is likely getting the holes in the bed at the exact location. I’m surprised B&W is only rated for 18k.
Old 03-31-2023, 04:44 PM   #3

Take a look at the B&W Companion/turnover ball setup. It doesn’t use conventional rails. The 5th wheel hitch mounts to the B&W under bed gooseneck platform via a single square shank in the center of the bed. Leaves you a smooth clean bed whenever you need to take the hitch out. It is rated for 20k.

Safe travels,
RVnAggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 06:28 PM   #4

Looking at the installation instructions, the installation should be easy ( if you don’t mind working on your back). Doesn’t look like that kit includes the goose neck ball socket, according to the installation instructions. That’s only necessary if you’re planning on using a goose neck pin box or adapter. Many companies have a 7 pin socket and wiring kit for different truck manufactures. Easy install as well.
slotown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 07:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotown View Post
Looking at the installation instructions, the installation should be easy ( if you don’t mind working on your back). Doesn’t look like that kit includes the goose neck ball socket, according to the installation instructions. That’s only necessary if you’re planning on using a goose neck pin box or adapter. Many companies have a 7 pin socket and wiring kit for different truck manufactures. Easy install as well.

The B&W Turnover Ball platform is the gooseneck ball socket. It comes with a 2-5/16” gooseneck ball that can be turned over and inserted into the receiver for storage (hence the hitch name.). It plugs the hole in the receiver and stores flush with the bed.

The 20k 5th wheel hitch was designed as the “Companion” for the turnover ball and it inserts into receiver when the gooseneck ball is removed.

Very solid set up that gives one the best of both worlds when/if needed.
RVnAggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 05:57 AM   #6

I've installed 3 of the B&W Turnovers. Good hitch and easy install if you follow the instructions. You need a tape measure and a good 4" metal saw bit. Hard part is having confidence in your measuring and drilling that hole. Check with eTrailer, I bet there is a plug and play T for the wires.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 06:57 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
we had a Ram 3500 dually on order that didn't have the factory package (cancelled due to delivery issues) so i just did this research. the B&W turn over ball looked to be the best options. a B&W hitch with rails was like $800 cheaper than the turnover ball and hitch combo but didn't offer the clean bed I wanted between tows.
The dealership was not interested in retrofitting the factory puck system, and I was not keen on installing rails. the electrical is the easy part.

best of luck
New2road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 07:15 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Hitch - recommend a heavier hitch rated with safety margin such as a 30 K and make sure the hitch is compatible with the hitch prep package. Also make sure you have a brake controller, as post #2 pointed out, installed on or below the dashboard with an electrical connection in the bed.
Old 04-08-2023, 10:00 AM   #9

I am curious if the truck you are purchasing does not have the tow package installed than why would you try and just use a Goose Neck Ball?

I would think the bed has to be removed and the frame for the goose neck ball added to the truck frame. At least this use to be the case. Then you would need to have a clearance hole added to the bed for the goose neck ball. Or am I missing something on the new 2023 Ram truck models.

I know with my 2008, Dodge Mega Cab I would need to remove the bed first and install the frame for the goose neck ball to work. For me it was easier to install frame rails for my hitch, and cheaper. If I need a clean floor, I just add plywood to provide an even floor.
Old 04-08-2023, 03:13 PM   #10

Maybe look some more for a new dually with the 5th wheel prep package. I had that on my dually years ago and I really liked it. It was a $500 option a few years ago.

I traded the dually in on a F-250 without the 5th wheel prep package. I was going to pull a travel trailer. Anyway after looking I gravitated to 5th wheels. I researched having the 5th wheel prep package added.. My Ford garage would not do the work but would sell me the under bed parts for $600. I thought what a rip off.

Then the pandemic hit. I still have the F-250 without the 5th wheel prep and now decided to look at travel trailers again.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 06:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
I am curious if the truck you are purchasing does not have the tow package installed than why would you try and just use a Goose Neck Ball?

I would think the bed has to be removed and the frame for the goose neck ball added to the truck frame. At least this use to be the case. Then you would need to have a clearance hole added to the bed for the goose neck ball. Or am I missing something on the new 2023 Ram truck models.

I know with my 2008, Dodge Mega Cab I would need to remove the bed first and install the frame for the goose neck ball to work. For me it was easier to install frame rails for my hitch, and cheaper. If I need a clean floor, I just add plywood to provide an even floor.

Jim, sorry that this is late, now granted, I can't speak for other brands, and my truck isn't new (2015), but I had a shop install my B&W Turnover Ball, and the bed was not removed to do the install.

Tim
Old 04-15-2023, 03:21 PM   #12

BW makes a frame turn ball setup . Raise the bed do it in your driveway not a big deal . Off come the. Nuts and out with the bolts . Take off the tailgate and two guys can lift and slide onto saw hoarse .
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 03:28 PM   #13

You can get the factory Mopar system installed. I just bought a Ram 2500 that did not come with the factory puck system but took it to a dealer and had it installed. It is 3 separate part numbers, the fifth wheel puck system, the gooseneck puck/system, and the 7 pin factory harness.

Total was 1500 for me to purchase all parts and dealer labor. Dropped off that morning and it was ready that afternoon.
ruger35 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel