Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2017, 04:00 AM   #1

2nd AC in Bedroom Option - Noise Level

Hello,

Looking at a Grand Design Reflection (in particular models 303RLS or 337RLS.) and wonder if owners that bought the optional second AC find it too loud at night to sleep with it on? I am not sure if the single AC that comes with the unit would be sufficient. I will be RVing in eastern Canada and US, it's the humidity that's a big concern.

Thanks

Don
donincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2017, 04:10 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Not sure on the specific models but most larger RV's will have 2 AC units to be able to keep the RV cool during hot weather.

We owned a Class C, 31' which had 1 AC unit. It would barely keep up.

We now own a ~40' coach with 2 AC's. 1 AC unit will not keep it cool during hot days during the day with sun beating down on the coach. Once the sun goes down 1 AC can keep up.

Having 2 AC's adds additional cooling but also, if you have problems with one you have one to fall back onto.

Also, we usually leave the fans on the AC units run continuously at night and don't hardly notice the compressor kicking off/on. It also helps to block outside noise.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 04:27 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by donincanada View Post
Hello,

Looking at a Grand Design Reflection (in particular models 303RLS or 337RLS.) and wonder if owners that bought the optional second AC find it too loud at night to sleep with it on? I am not sure if the single AC that comes with the unit would be sufficient. I will be RVing in eastern Canada and US, it's the humidity that's a big concern.

Thanks

Don
The noise level will vary by manufacturer but, in general, most folks can tolerate the sound level ... it's roughly equivalent to sleeping in a hotel room with the average A/C unit. I prefer a little noise compared to being hot
Old 10-04-2017, 04:48 AM   #4

Get two, you'll be glad you have them. Run both during the day if necessary to cool rig, then switch to the living room one at night. Running them on low fan also reduces noise level.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:58 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Get two, if you decide it's too loud to sleep with you can do what we do with ours.
On ours we run the bedroom AC in the early evening and have it set to get the bedroom VERY cool.
Then just before we go to bed I'll turn off the bedroom AC and only run the front AC, with an additional fan to push air to the bedroom.
This keeps the bedroom cool and isn't so loud that it's annoying.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:32 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We opted for a roof fan instead of a 2nd Air conditioner. Yes, it doesn't keep up during the midday southwest sun but it does remove the east and gulf coast humidity. For sleeping in hot venues we shut off all the front ducts and send the cold air to the back bedroom vents. Just opening the bath door to block the hallway is enough to keep the BR cool. Barely know it is on. We try to avoid the extremes in our travels so the fan with its in/out option was the best choice for us. We are wired for a BR A/C but in 13 years and 90,000 miles have never seen the need.
This is one of those 80/20 decisions. No matter which you chose you will be happy most of the time, but oh those other times......
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 05:36 AM   #7

Grand Design Owners Club
We have a Reflection about the same size and definitely glad to have two units. Both ac s are ducted together so once it cool down we usually run the one on the opposite end from where we are. The living room unit blows enough into br to keep it fine at night.
cfowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 05:39 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Heyer in TexUS, two ac's are not enough, we have three!

But I LOVE the noise the bedroom ac makes - even in the winter, the fan is on so it can drown out most of the 'sudden' noises outside that would normally wake us up - somewhat like a white noise generator

Now if we are boondocking away from any external noise, that's a different story, but if boodocking either not using ac or have the genny on !
Old 10-04-2017, 08:22 AM   #9

I have the exact same model, 2016. I have the optional second air conditioner. When both are operating, the noise is annoying. I live in Las Vegas and travel around, California, Arizona and Utah. I need the ac most of the the time.
It does take some getting used to when you sleep. For me it was doable.
It was easier to sleep in cool air, even if a bit noisey. I wouldn't be without it.

Sent from my XT1650 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
blankd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:52 AM   #10

The lady uses ours as a white noise generator when its not hot, and we need the additional cooling when it is.

Apparently I snore, and it drowns it out? Who knew?

Wouldn't be without it.
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 09:34 AM   #11

Agree, at night run the one in the living room while you sleep in the bedroom. A ducted A/C system will cool the bedroom some while cooling the living area a bit more.

You will hear the one in the living room running but to me it is tolerable and I can sleep like a baby.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:08 PM   #12

Thanks for the feedback

Wow..I really appreciate the quick response! I'm sold.
donincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:34 PM   #13

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
I set the temperature in the bedroom a few degrees warmer that way the bedroom unit only kicks on when the living area unit can't keep up. And at night it hardly ever runes
Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Not sure on the specific models but most larger RV's will have 2 AC units to be able to keep the RV cool during hot weather.

We owned a Class C, 31' which had 1 AC unit. It would barely keep up.

We now own a ~40' coach with 2 AC's. 1 AC unit will not keep it cool during hot days during the day with sun beating down on the coach. Once the sun goes down 1 AC can keep up.

Having 2 AC's adds additional cooling but also, if you have problems with one you have one to fall back onto.

Also, we usually leave the fans on the AC units run continuously at night and don't hardly notice the compressor kicking off/on. It also helps to block outside noise.

Yup!
Mrb1ll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise