Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2011, 07:07 PM   #1

3 way toggle switch need help

I just bought a 1995 excel and am having a few issues. First I found a 3 way switch in a kitchen cabinet that I can't figure out what it is for, second I cannot get the hreater to heat and third the fridge works fine on 110 but can't seem to get it to working on propane. Any suggestions? The fridge is a norcold and the heater is a hydroflame model 8531. Also there are some outer doors that the key I was given was broken off, can I buy replacement doors or locks? Thanks for any suggestions.
savynana is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2011, 08:27 PM   #2

Ok I'm going to make a few assumptions here since you didn't spicify. I assume the furnace blower comes on and the furnace dosen't light off. Same with the fridge. I also assume you have full propane tanks. Does hot water heater work on propane? Does stove and oven work? I once bought a 5ver that sat for a few years. All of the appliances worked except hot water heater. It took me a while but finally troubleshot it to a spider web in the propane line right at the water heater inlet and clogged it. Should be able to go to any RV store and get replacement locks for the doors. If they don't carry them they should be able to order them. I also just noticed this is your 1st post so WELCOME! You came to the right place for answers.

You can also post the problem in the RV Systems & Appliances RV Wizard (Mike) is the Mod there. He has helped me in the past. He is a Master RV Tech.
"I won't be wronged I won't be insulted I won't be layed a hand on. I don't do these things to other people. And I require the same from them." (John Bernard Books) John Wayne The Shootist his last Movie.
CorsairIIAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:03 PM   #3

Yes propane tanks are full, blower works on heater,stove burners work. I have not tried the water heater as I have no water in tanks as it has been below freezing here and I have not tried the oven yet. Also I can not get the control panel to work. Thanks for your input.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:46 PM   #4

Ok looking to be more a control/electrical issue than propane issue. Furnace could be a bad connection on the circuit board for lighting off. Or a bad board. Last year I had a bad connection on board. Took some green Scotch brite to metal connections to clean them up and furnace worked. My previous 5ver a 1985 Komfort I had to replace the board about every other year. At a cost of a little over a 100.00. Local RV guy and I couldn't figure it out but we replaced it and furnace would work for about 2 winters. Discribe your problem with control panel.
"I won't be wronged I won't be insulted I won't be layed a hand on. I don't do these things to other people. And I require the same from them." (John Bernard Books) John Wayne The Shootist his last Movie.
CorsairIIAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:38 AM   #5

How about 12VDC? Without it most refers will not light. Now if the refer works on 120AC and not on gas, then I first have to make a few assumptions, one being that there may be an air pocket in the gas line to the refer. Run the stove burners for about 5 minutes first, then try starting the refer on gas. May take a few tries to get any residual air out of the line. Now on to the furnace. fan yes? IS the thermostat turned up? Then again it may be a gas issue or an igniter issue. In fact the igniter could be bad in both. But before I went that far I would check the 12VDC to the appliances. Look for fuses and don't look at the fuses, test them with an ohm meter.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:37 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
It is also possible that your mystery toggle switch is somehow connected to your problem. I suspect that the previous owner installed it to control something since it is both hidden and not lableled. Possibilities include battery cut off relay, generator relay, inverter operation, or ???. Usually three position toggle switches are ON-OFF-ON and are used to either direct power to circut A or B or power a circuit from either source A or B.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:46 PM   #7

My wife thinks I hung the moon and that I am an electrical genius( I am actually a plumber) but I am in way over my head. I checked batteries and they are putting out 12.8 and 13.7 while connected to shore power. The coverter (45 amp Magnatek) is putting out 11.7 but fuses are only receiving 1.72. My thermostat is registering 11.7 and the heater is also 11.7. The fan blower is now not working and the igniter on furnace has not even attempted to lite. The AC blower is working. I lit stove burner and left it on 5 min. and then attempted to start furnace to no avail.
Fridge still works on shore power but not on propane. All 12 volt lights work connected and disconnected to shore power.
I still have not been able to figure out the toggle switch.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:44 PM   #8

My money is on a 12V issue. If the refrigerator and furnace control boards do not detect adequate voltage from the 12V source they do not allow these appliances to work. IMO the first place to begin is with the batteries. After they have "rested" for at least 1 hour, test the voltage again, if it is not 12.4 VDC or above the batteries should be evaluated by a shop, like Interstate Battery.
The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1) has always been a reliable and accurate source of information for me when I experience 12V issues.

Tracing wiring is perhaps your only way to discover what the 3-way switch powers.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote