Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2016, 02:24 PM   #1

4 point or 6 point leveler system

I'm thinking of adding a big foot leveling system to our 34' 5th wheel. Would a 6 point system be any better on a trailer this length, I have been told a 4 point would easily handle a trailer this length, dry weight of 12000 lb.

Thanks
acbaker
acbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2016, 02:58 PM   #2

I have had good reports from a system like JT's RV Jack Stabilizer System. With this system, 4 legs should be plenty. Here is a link: https://www.google.com/search?q=5th+...LprQX4P__4M%3A
Old 05-26-2016, 10:25 AM   #3

We have the Big Foot 4 jack system on our Lifestyle. The front jacks are rated at 17K lbs each, the rears at 12K each.

Lifestyle has now gone to the Lippert 6 jack system because they have replaced their house-built stacked box tube frame with a Lippert 12" I-beam frame. My understanding is that the I-beam frame is not strong enough to be supported by 4 jacks.

So the question you need answered is which system will do the job for you and not compromise the integrity of your frame. If it were me, I would check with the manufacturer of my unit.

Happy trails,
Old 05-26-2016, 10:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Explorers View Post
We have the Big Foot 4 jack system on our Lifestyle. The front jacks are rated at 17K lbs each, the rears at 12K each.

Lifestyle has now gone to the Lippert 6 jack system because they have replaced their house-built stacked box tube frame with a Lippert 12" I-beam frame. My understanding is that the I-beam frame is not strong enough to be supported by 4 jacks.

So the question you need answered is which system will do the job for you and not compromise the integrity of your frame. If it were me, I would check with the manufacturer of my unit.

Happy trails,

That's very interesting about the frame comment. DRV is known for having the strongest frames out there, (6" box on top of 6" box on top of 3" box) but they are using the Lippert six point system as well. Though, they do use their own front jacks (they're tucked up flush with the bottom of the trailer when towing) and the rear jacks are at an angle. I'm not saying the frame strength isn't the issue or anything, merely speculating that perhaps the Lippert system is just an easier solution due to its popularity.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:32 PM   #5

I've seen a lot of neg. posts about Lippert Slides, don't know anything about other products by Lippert.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:44 PM   #6

We have a 4pt Lippert electric system on our 5r. It's 34' and 10K. It'll lift the wheels off the ground.
Old 05-27-2016, 03:18 PM   #7

I agree that it really depends on your frame. Usually 8" frames will get a 6 point system and a 10" or bigger will only need a 4 point system.
We had the Big Foot Leveling System installed on our 1996 38ft Carriage triple axle in 2010 and the 4 point system works just great for us. Our 4 point system has a capacity of 17,000 each pounds on the front jacks & 12,000 pounds each on the rear which totals 58,000 pounds of lift.
I'm not sure about the capacity on the BF 6 point system. Hugs, Di
Quote:
Originally Posted by acbaker View Post
I'm thinking of adding a big foot leveling system to our 34' 5th wheel. Would a 6 point system be any better on a trailer this length, I have been told a 4 point would easily handle a trailer this length, dry weight of 12000 lb.

Thanks
acbaker
2015 1 ton auto single cab 2 wheel drive 3500 Ram Dually. Western Pearl Brown, 410 Aisin Trans, Pace Eds roll top cover. 1996/2015 3axle Carriage, BF Auto Level, TST Tire Pressure Monitoring System, Plug It Right Stabilizers.
Dutch & Diana Irrgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 03:24 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Makes me wonder about the difference between the 4 and 6 point. One of the advantages of the 6 point might be a more stable unit when set up.
Old 05-27-2016, 03:34 PM   #9

Most stable, three jacks (milk stool) as some motorhome have. For trailers, four jacks are needed for logistical placement. If the frame isn't strong enough to be suspended from the four corners, then 6.

Lippert came out with the 6 jack system because some of their frames could not handle just 4 jacks.

Our 2006 40' Travel Supreme fifth-wheel was fine with the Big Foot system. When it was installed, the demonstration had the entire trailer with the wheels 12" off the ground.

We choose Big Foot over HWH because there was a reservoir and pump for each jack and the Big Foot uses hydraulic retract. The Big Foot jacks are all steel and American made.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 03:39 PM   #10

The hydraulic levers, while offering some stabilization, are meant to level. We had our permanently stabilizers already on our Carriage when we bought the BF. We did try the system without tightening our 6 knobs{basically making them ineffective} and it didn't take but one walk thru the 5th wheel to have Dutch go back and tighten them up. So we ended up with the best of both worlds. Hugs, Di
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Makes me wonder about the difference between the 4 and 6 point. One of the advantages of the 6 point might be a more stable unit when set up.
2015 1 ton auto single cab 2 wheel drive 3500 Ram Dually. Western Pearl Brown, 410 Aisin Trans, Pace Eds roll top cover. 1996/2015 3axle Carriage, BF Auto Level, TST Tire Pressure Monitoring System, Plug It Right Stabilizers.
Dutch & Diana Irrgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 05:51 PM   #11

Just an FYI, the Level-Up System using 6 Jacks was developed, sold and installed by TrailAir before they were bought out by Lippert. I had the system retrofitted onto our 2010 Montana at the TrailAir facility and had the chance to talk to the Hydraulic Engineer who designed and developed the system.
2018 Silverado 3500HD High Country Dually 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, Sailun 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 08:41 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Our Montana High Country 340BH has just four jacks. Once it's level, it's got some bounce to it. I reduce that by adding two screw jacks snugged up under the rear bumper and a king pin jack in front. I often wonder if a six-point system would be better. I'd bet so.
Army Nurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 09:45 PM   #13

The screw jacks are behind the rear leveling jacks and the pin support in front of the forward jacks.

On a 6-jack system, the extra jacks are forward of the rear jacks, closer to the center of the frame. Different force effects.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:19 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army Nurse View Post
Our Montana High Country 340BH has just four jacks. Once it's level, it's got some bounce to it. I reduce that by adding two screw jacks snugged up under the rear bumper and a king pin jack in front. I often wonder if a six-point system would be better. I'd bet so.
We put jacks just in front and behind the axles of our KZ 41. Make a huge difference in the bounce even with three axles. It takes the play out of the springs.