Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2020, 03:38 PM   #1

4 Season Options?

We sold the sticks and bricks last May and have been on the road for 7 months now. Since I kick and "breathe heavy ", we're looking for a rig with a separate room. currently have a Grand Design 5er, 29RS very solidly built but the bunkhouse models are really long. Like to stay at 36ft or less, love the grand Design brand, looking at Winnebago, Jayco, then clicked on the toyhauler idea. Anyone out there have thoughts on the GD Momentum G class, or good 4 season choices? Retired now so we're just playing full time, running from NW to SE and back.
RETIREMENTHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2020, 08:49 PM   #2

If you follow the sun you really do not need 4 season do you? When I was a snow bird I could avoid freezing weather easy.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 09:42 PM   #3

Northwood mfg out of Oregon peoduces some of the best towables out there. Their all built on in jouse made frames, vs Lippert on everyone else. Best in class IMHO.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Northwood mfg out of Oregon peoduces some of the best towables out there. Their all built on in jouse made frames, vs Lippert on everyone else. Best in class IMHO.
X2!
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:42 AM   #5

Wink

Home base is north of Seattle, I like to be prepared.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:44 AM   #6

Arctic Fox has long been on my radar, they just don't have a floor plan that fits our needs,
but you are absolutely right on!
Old 01-21-2020, 11:07 AM   #7

I would recommend Triple E. Made in Canada. We have one we love. Unfortunately the only one I could find that match your wants is isn Canada.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-travel-trail...4887?undefined
Johneb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 11:33 AM   #8

BH models generally the bunk area is small and built for little kids.

A toyhauler with the garage appointed like a bedroom would be pretty nice. Carpets or real flooring and the optional roof AC installed should work well. You can build or buy premade cabinets and install a real bed.
Old 01-28-2020, 12:37 PM   #9

Alpha Gold 3905SH by Lifestyle. It was built on the original Titan Frame. Ingenious idea. Be perfect for what you want. Well built.
Elkfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 12:50 PM   #10

I think they spelled it Alfa instead of Alpha. Anyways, they modified the side hauler in several configurations. I have seen them with bunks, single bed, cycle ramp or nothing. i have seen them turned into man caves by some dealers.
Elkfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 12:59 PM   #11

My Montana High Country is a 4 season, rated for zero degree weather. We've had it operational in cold-cold weather and yes, the underbelly and floor stays warm, and pipes don't freeze. It came with all heated tanks, and everything enclosed. Yes, it works in below freezing weather .... but!!!!!

In order to work and keep from freezing, the furnace MUST be left on as there are open air ducts actually under the floor (in the underbelly). In order to keep things from freezing in there, the furnace has to be on. If we use electric heat only (space heaters and the fireplace), the furnace won't run. Guess what? Things under the floor freeze up.

Now, that's really not so bad, having the furnace run, almost constantly in those types of temperatures, except for one thing: It takes propane! And we found a 30 pound tank would last about a day and a half!

That's the trade-off. A 30 pound tanks refill costs between $24 and $35, depending on the time of year and where you get it from.
Old 01-28-2020, 10:32 PM   #12

I have a Grand Design with a middle bedroom 377 mbs that might work.

With regard to underbelly heating if you run the fan on the furnace with a small space heater blowing near an air intake it should suck air into the system and distribute throughout the unit including the basement. This with maybe another small space heater in the basement set very low should be good down to probably around 22. I use this to cut down on some gas usage, if it gets much colder then gas furnace supplemented with some electric heat saves some.
BriarPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 06:23 AM   #13

save yourself time and money. buy a true 4 season full time rig. Run the furnace and save money there by buying a rig built to do the job. True full time in new terms is Artic Fox, New horizons. Used there are more options. if you want used options i can provide options. these rigs are heavy weights. 350, 3500 or bigger required. if you use more then a 40lb bottle a week below freezing you need more rig. a furnace or furnaces running more then 50% of the time below freezing is way to much. in my opinion you need more rig. do it right first time instead of learning the pricey way.

caught in the cold or intense heat. visiting family over holidays. right rig no sweat cold or heat. bring it on. life is much easier this way. question is how much you want baby and nurse an rv in either weather condition. heaters, lights in belly, tin foil on windows, sun shades to block, blankets to block drafts or blocks of styrofoam. or pull in setup and relax.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 06:50 PM   #14

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkfarmer View Post
Alpha Gold 3905SH by Lifestyle. It was built on the original Titan Frame. Ingenious idea. Be perfect for what you want. Well built.
I have a Lifestyle with an in-house built Titan frame. The Alfa line was not built on the box frame that the Lifestyle was. The Alfa was an in house frame but not the same frame the LS was built on. Both built in house but 2 different frames.

http://classicpressroom.com/pressroo...alfa-gold.html
jdpm is offline   Reply With Quote