Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2019, 08:37 AM   #1

5’er Rear Kitchen Opinions?

Looking to go back to a 5th wheel from a TT... The wife fell in love with a rear kitchen floorplan. Years ago manufacturers were selling rear kitchen units then seemed to disappear until just last couple years... why? Anyone has a rear kitchen unit and would you buy that floorplan again? Pros and cons?

Myself, I would think the dishes, foods, pots and pans would be a mess since the cabinets are in the rear of a rocking bronco going down the highways....
Wannabe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2019, 08:54 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Lots of shaking and bouncing in the rear means the kitchen contents get rearranged every time you travel. I had one TT with a rear kitchen. Never again.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 09:12 AM   #3

Lots of pros and cons on this subject. For me I wanted the big back window for the views. The correct mid kitchen layout can have nearly as much room as the rear kitchen layouts.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:13 AM   #4

We are going with a rear kitchen in a 38' New Horizon if they can make some minor changes to the floor plan. It will be on a triple axle chassis so hopefully that will smooth it out some . I guess we will find out next spring how it rides .
cwall59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 10:08 AM   #5

We had a rear kitchen Alpenlite for a long time. Nothing moved around in cabinets anymore than the front kitchen Newmar TT or the mid kitchen rig we now have. Nothing ever moved unless we hit bad railroad crossings(for example) to fast. In this case it really doesn't matter were the kitchen is. I believe it has more to do with the weight and good suspension. Ours had a big window in the back. Wife actually preferred that view as opposed to the rear living as she could stand while preparing supper or washing and look directly out.
Elkfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 11:38 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Plenty of Outdoors RV trailers, both TT and 5th wheels have rear kitchens and have for years. Probably the best seller in their line. No reports of stuff getting rearranged but they have better suspensions with bigger axles and tires and shocks on all of them.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 11:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Lots of pros and cons on this subject. For me I wanted the big back window for the views. The correct mid kitchen layout can have nearly as much room as the rear kitchen layouts.
I think that is the main reason my wife likes is the window placement. Smaller rear window but a huge campsite side window. The “L” shaped peninsula with 4 barstools is the other.

I’m just afraid the range hood will be literally hanging after a few trips down the highways.
Wannabe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 11:58 AM   #8

If stuff moves around, you don't have enough stuff......this 5er is a rear kitchen and on it's 4th cross country trip......just leave the fine china at home.......
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 12:08 PM   #9

Our first 5er was a rear kitchen built by AMERI CAMP (out of business now) a Summit Ridge 270RKS. My wife loved the counter space and the cabinet space in that 5er. We had no issues when traveling with loose hardware or cabinets in the 5er. We traveled with real drinking glasses and dinnerware nothing was ever broken due to a harsh ride from the suspension.

This was our first 5er/trailer we bought in 2007 after being out of camping and traveling for 20 years.

When we purchased that trailer the dealer who was really helpful and made several smart suggestions on packing. One was to use small throw pillows and stuff them in the cabinets to prevent anything from shifting and breaking. We still do that today with our mid-kitchen unit. Anything of substantial weight like a Dutch Oven or a lot of heavy can goods placed these in the lower cabinets. Use Spring tension rods to keep items from shifting around when traveling. In fact, I still use all of these methods when we travel today with our mid-kitchen unit and residential fridge.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:13 PM   #10

Love our rear kitchen fiver, this is our second and if we ever buy another RV I would not hesitate to get another. Nothing has broken in either unit but things have moved around when we have hit bad roads along our travels. We use correl glass plates as well as bowls and coffee mugs. When we travel I do put the rubber shelf liners cut into squares between the plates and bowls. All dishes are also sitting on the shelf liner to grip them so they don't move.
Love the extra counter space for prepping food. We do make sure that the fridge is secured with the rods to keep things from falling or moving. Just a little preparation for the trip goes a long way.

ENJOY which ever you get.
Fawny43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 06:44 PM   #11

Were on our 2nd rear kitchen 5th wheel trailer. I mentioned a RL to the wife and she says she won't go camping without her RK.
Never had anything broken or shook loose in the RKs however both units came OEM with shocks.

Our first 5er was a 27' '84 rear bath Aljo...without shocks. Had to straighten up everything the rear med cabinet on each trip.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 07:12 PM   #12

We purchased our Keystone Hideout tt in 2015 and have never had anything in an overhead compartment break. DW loves the extra counter space. Hard to imagine another layout that would work as well for us.
tnscoutr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 11:01 PM   #13
JDT

Another pleased rear kitchen owner. Ours has a large window in the rear which makes for a sometimes pleasant view while doing the not so pleasant task of washing dishes. On occasion we have a tipped glass or something in the rear cabinets but nothing major. We do have MorRyde independent suspension so I suspect that helps.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 11:10 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You must be a newlywed.

Happy wife, happy life. Go get the rear kitchen fifthwheel.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote