Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2017, 07:25 AM   #1

50 Amp Cable Failure

My 50 amp cable has two blue LEDs that light when I plug it in. All of a sudden, I came back to the camper and both LEDs are out and camper has no power. I had it plugged into a surge protector. The surge protector has power. Anything similar happen to anyone?
PatandLisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2017, 07:34 AM   #2

So you are sure you have power "out" of the surge protector ? Thats the first thing I would check. Bypass (unplug) the surge protector and go straight to the power source.
Monkey

And welcome to IRV2 !
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 07:35 AM   #3

Yes, I bypassed surge protector and plugged it directly into the box. Still no power.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:41 AM   #4

If there is power at the point where the 50A cable ties to your distribution, then it's not the cable. If not then there must be a fusible link or similar as part of the cable. Can't say I've seen this before.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:42 AM   #5

Ok. Then I would unplug both ends of the power cord and use a ohm meter to check each wire in the cable from one plug to the other. Without knowing the cable itself, I would suspect something in the plug by the led lights.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:44 AM   #6

That's what I was thinking. The receptacles are molded to the cable so I can't take anything apart.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:48 AM   #7

At most you can cut the plug off the cable (the one with the lights) and get a replacement plug. I'd still use a ohm meter first. And I agree with uncledon, I bet there is a surge protector of some kind built into that original plug.
Monkey
Old 07-30-2017, 07:51 AM   #8

Thanks monkey.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:54 AM   #9

You bet. Any rv store should have a replacement plug. Or wally world 'might' have one. Let us know how it goes and good luck.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:08 AM   #10

Home Depot or Lowes also might have one. I'd make sure its a rv plug, so its wire coded the same.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncledon View Post
If there is power at the point where the 50A cable ties to your distribution, then it's not the cable. If not then there must be a fusible link or similar as part of the cable. Can't say I've seen this before.
There are no fusible links in RV power cords. A bad connection can heat up and open. I would look for heated connections first. Ohmmeter is essential.

Also are you on a cod real on your RV?
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:30 AM   #12

If I'm understanding this correctly you have a surge protector connected to the power pedestal and then the cord goes to the RV. Is the pedestal breaker turned on? (Silly question but I had to ask).
I would start by checking, double checking, triple checking that there is actually power at the source. Does the pedestal have power?
If it does AND you have no power at the RV when you bypass the surge protector it sounds like the cord. Do you have another cord to test this theory? Can you borrow one from someone else for the test?

Is a breaker tripped either at the pedestal or inside the rv?

Personally my first guess (this is a guess mind you) is you have no power coming from the pedestal.

I find it very hard to believe that someone would build something like a cord (they are pricey) that would have a part that could fail and not be replaceable. The last thing I would do is change the plug until you have determined for sure that the cord is the problem and does not have a replaceable part.

Keep us posted please.
Brad
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:40 AM   #13

I agree Brad,,, using an ohm meter is First,,, replacing the plug is last ... I just took it there was power at the pedestal, but guess they never said... My mistake....
Old 07-30-2017, 10:20 AM   #14

We had the receptacle on the side of the rv go bad once. A wire was loose causing the breaker to trip and then we had nothing. Camping World replaced the receptacle and all has been good since.