Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2018, 05:57 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulldogRoad View Post
How is it going so far? Curious
It is actually going very well...we went full time as of may 15 and time has flown. We have discovered that long term boondocking is probably not in our future. However we do boondocking for up to 4 nights in a row while traveling from one destination to another.

We are now looking for our next fiver...debating between grand design Solitude OR Reflection....only have a one ton diesel SRW.

THANX FOR ASKING!!!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2018, 07:45 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
It is actually going very well...we went full time as of may 15 and time has flown. We have discovered that long term boondocking is probably not in our future.
Any particular reason why?
Itinerant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 12:12 PM   #87

We started with a 30' 5er and I couldn't get my DW away from the comfort of RV parks. Finally she went along with a few days in the woods. No looking back. She's now a died-in-the-wool dry camper and boon docker. We typically spend only 2 or 3 days in RV parks in a 2-3 month outing and that's where there is no dry camping within miles.

Our 5er came with two 232 AH 6V batteries (116 AH usable), no solar. Now we have 600W of solar and a 240 AH usable LFP battery. We use about 60-70 AH per day (microwave, espresso machine, toaster, full size computer, lots of LED lights, etc. (no TV, no A/C). Have a Honda 2000 (1600W) genny and 60A charger. Use it 2 or 3 times per year since the 240 AH gives us about four days of electricity before needing a charge (in inclement weather or buried in trees).

The 5er has four 46 gallon tanks, black, grey, galley, fresh. So 46 gallons of fresh and 138 gallons of used. I added a 46 gallon fresh tank to the truck and sometimes we add a couple of 7 gallon blue jugs if we are planning more than 10-12 days away from water. 92 gallons is fine for 9-10 days. So, now have from 92 or 99 or 106 or 113 gallons depending on how many blue 7 gallon jugs we take. Normally water is drawn from the 46 gallon tank in the truck and the 46 gallon tank in the 5er is backup. This makes getting more water easy -- just drive the truck to the source. Galley tank fills first so we hand carry water from the kitchen to the toilet after a few days.

Our 5er sat a bit low compared to the truck so I raised it 3". It now sits level and has lots of ground clearance for true boondocking. Truck is 5WD, of course.

I still work some so we have a Wilson weboost cell booster with the outside directional antenna on a mast (flag buddy) that can go about 13' above the top of the 5er. It surprises us regularly with a bit of cell service even when there is no signal without it. The Open Signal app helps us aim the directional antenna. It works when the phone has zero bars.

I check my spare often!! On the 5er and truck. Have used both on "gravel" roads especially in spring when grading has turned up new sharp rocks.

We are probably 5% true boon docking and 90% BLM or NF or State/National Park campgrounds. 5% or less in RV Parks. We are not full time but are traveling 4-5 months of the year.
hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 06:59 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinerant1 View Post
Any particular reason why?
A couple health issues for me in addition to a current fiver thats a 2013 cedar creek and it's not the quality we're looking for when it comes to boon docking. No solar and our coach only came with one battery which i added a second to.

We are taking a very serious look at the grand design 2930rl S-Class....looks really good so far. We may boondock for a few days then back to a CG for a shower and so on.

I have absolutely nothing against boondocking or those that do, we just are taking it slow and trying to dip our toes a little deeper into the pool.

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 01:14 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
A couple health issues for me in addition to a current fiver thats a 2013 cedar creek and it's not the quality we're looking for when it comes to boon docking. No solar and our coach only came with one battery which i added a second to.

We are taking a very serious look at the grand design 2930rl S-Class....looks really good so far. We may boondock for a few days then back to a CG for a shower and so on.

I have absolutely nothing against boondocking or those that do, we just are taking it slow and trying to dip our toes a little deeper into the pool.

In our case, there was no going back after we tried it. Though I include organized BLM, National Forest, and similar campgrounds without services. Those are probably better labeled "dry camping" than "boon docking."
hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:00 PM   #90

RVing means different things to different folks. Finding what you enjoy is key. I love boondocking, and was an avid backpacker and tent camper for most of my life. The wife on the other hand much prefers an Actual campground, although I’m not sure why, as for the most part we don’t use the facilities. She just feels safer with others nearby so we pretty much only boondocking when heading out with a group. We do dry cam a great deal, and for the most part she prefers the state park and national forest type parks to many of the RV parks.

We aren’t considering full timing even though we retired last year. Our long trips so far have only been about 3 months. A heart attack earlier this year, followed by a ruptured colon a day later slowed things down for us for 3 months or so, and unfortunately I’ll need to go in for surgery again in the spring to hook the innards back up. Not sure how long we’ll want to stay in the area after that before we venture out again. It is however nice having the option of being in the house with family in the area to support the mrs. during these times. It’s just easier and more convenient.

I’ve been following your quest for the right 5er. Seems you always have to make some compromises, but that’s just life. Whatever it is, hope you find the way to live “your” dream, and may it not be a nightmare.

Tags
boondocking