Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2014, 09:05 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
5er setup VS MH

We are in the process of selling our class A (we hope - fingers crossed) and moving to a 5er.

In reading forums here, people often mention that it is harder to setup the 5er than a MH. Is this true? After all the times I setup our MH I know the drill.

So - what is different setting up the 5er. Why harder? Added task to do?

Thanks

PS: To you experienced guys: If you had a 5er in the 32 35 ft range, with a dry wt in the 8,000 - 10,000 lb range, do you believe an F250 with a diesel is adequate? IE, no duels

Tks all
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2014, 09:39 PM   #2

Make sure you get remote controlled leveling jacks and an air-ride hitch on your 5th wheel and u should have plenty of truck for an 8-10k pound 5th wheel.it is just different having to get out of the truck to set up, especially if it is raining. We have had both and now back to the class A, with comfort steering and that huge front windshield. We carried a Honda 3k generator in the bed of our F250. If your 5th wheel doesn't have a generator maybe two 2k Hondas would be better. Whatever you decide, it will be the right choice for you at the time. Happy Travels!
gda raiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:45 PM   #3

Evergreen Owners Club
If you get a 5er with the auto-level, it's a 15 minute set-up. After you disconnect your truck, hit the auto-level, put the slides out, hook up the water and electric. Oh and hit the awning button and grab a chair. I'll let the weight police chime in on your weight questions.
mo5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:05 PM   #4

Hello I have had 3 5ers and on my first motor home 15 mins tops after pulling in and leveling the wheels with the 5ers the Motor Home is a whole different set up faster easier, I had a system for both like the motor home better just my nickels worth.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:32 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I am looking at going the opposite direction but for different reasons. I'm not sure I understand the idea of quicker to setup for a MH. When I am doing a stopover for the night, I never unhook the truck. I just lower the front and rear landing gear. You still have to manually connect the electric, water, cable, and possibly sewer hose on both rigs. 5th wheels offer the same convenience of power cord and hose reels if you choose. If I am staying put for a few days I do unhitch the truck but a MH also has to unhitch their toad to get to the same state of mobility. I don't see that as a big selling point between the two.

My answer for the F250 is; unless you already have the truck, there is no reason to buy a F250. The F350 is just a few dollars more, occupies the same footprint, with about 1000 lbs more payload.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:22 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
I plug the coach in. Hit auto level and grab a beer.
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:50 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Like many others on IRV2 I've owned both. I found that setting up the 5'er took longer than the MH. The issue was getting the 5'er level side-to-side, I remember having to put wood under the wheels on one side to level things up. Once the side-to-side is done the rest goes quickly. The newer 5'ers with auto-level jacks probably don't have any of those hassles.

Another difference I thought was significant was the space and towing. If I was going to be parked for long periods the 5'er felt like it had more room, but if traveling a lot I like the MH better. The only other thing was the A/C, in the 5'er mine didn't have ducted A/C in the bedroom which made the A/C very loud, cold but very loud.

Towing that size with a 250/3/4 ton shouldn't be hard at all.
NHSO
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:02 AM   #8
JDT

A similar thread already here but think about it. If you tow something with a motorhome you have to get outside to unhook the vehicle. If you tow a fifth wheel you have to get outside to unhook, a wash, except I am quite a bit quicker at unhooking the fifth wheel than I was the tow vehicle when we had the motorhomes. That may vary by what type of tow system you have. Leveling is done inside the motorhome whether its manual or automatic. I have to go outside to push a button to level ours. If you don't have auto level it will take longer. Advantage motorhome.

For the driver, you can't get up to move around no matter what you have but your partner can, which many consider an advantage. I did not because I don't like the idea of anyone roaming freely if there is an emergency stop or accident. Very recently some friends were coming back from Texas in their motorhome. His wife was up getting something when he had to make a hard stop. She was thrown into the table and had to have several stitches on her forehead. That one is your choice.

We have found our maintenance/repair costs to be a lot less as a fifth wheel is pretty simple compared to a motorhome. Most things on the fifth wheel I can fix myself and I could not on our dp. Repairs on the drivetrain of a truck are probably less expensive and more readily available than on a motorhome, especially a diesel.

These were the things we considered when we went back to a fifth wheel, but you know what, you aren't me. Get what fits you best.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:09 PM   #9

Don't know about a MH, but my 5er takes just a few minutes to set up and un-hitch. My trailer weighs 10,700 and my F250 pulls it just fine and my total GVWR is 20,000 - so c'mon weight cops!

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:41 AM   #10

Our loaded 5th weighed in at 12200. We have 2013 F250 Diesel King ranch. It needed air bags to level it out. Pulls fine though...
bobfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnandcaren View Post
We are in the process of selling our class A (we hope - fingers crossed) and moving to a 5er.

In reading forums here, people often mention that it is harder to setup the 5er than a MH. Is this true? After all the times I setup our MH I know the drill.

So - what is different setting up the 5er. Why harder? Added task to do?

Thanks

PS: To you experienced guys: If you had a 5er in the 32 35 ft range, with a dry wt in the 8,000 - 10,000 lb range, do you believe an F250 with a diesel is adequate? IE, no duels

Tks all
To me leveling the 5er side to side dose take longer if you do not have the auto-leveling system on you’re 5er. But these tend to be on the heavier models of 5er’s that will require a 1 ton single wheel truck to pull adequately and safely.

I would not limit myself to a ¾ ton truck. I would look at a 1 ton single rear wheel truck as this has more towing capacity than a ¾ ton truck and will leave more options for you to consider in 5er’s when looking.

I tow a 318SAB Cougar that is 35 FT long and the GVW of the trailer is close to 11,600 LBS. I have scaled the truck and trailer to find out what I am actually towing when fully loaded for a two week trip. My gross combined weight of trailer and truck is 18,240 LBS which is under the gross combine weight rating of my truck of 20,000 LBS. But if I wanted a newer trailer with the auto-leveling system and a couple other features that we are looking at I will need a new 2015 1 ton Ram SRW truck with the 6.7L Cummins and AISIN transmission to tow one.
Just my $0.02
Jim W.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:54 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I've been thinking about this same very thing. To me the 5er has the appeal of more room inside and less junk to break. A DP seems to be one of those things where you need to keep putting money into it, and you're crossing your fingers nothing major breaks.

Also, roaming around in one moving around is tricky at best! I also wouldn't mind owning that new chevy 3500HD - drool.

And with auto levelers, I can't see setup being any more or less a pain. I've watched many a 5er back up, press a button, unhitch and they're done! Setting up my class A is just as painful by the time you get to unhooking the car blah blah blah

When I let my class A sit for very long, I worry about it. I wouldn't feel so bad letting my 5er (if i had one) sit for extended periods of time.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:05 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank YOU All

Thanks folks.
This post was very helpful for lots of obvious reasons.

I was concerned about some "hidden" work to setup a 5er but there is not. So, having MH experience we are good.

Unfortunately we are not rich. If we were would probably trade in our gas 39 ft MH with 2 slides for a DP with 4 slides. But, that's another lifetime, not this one.

Truck: We'll look for a good deal on either a 3/4 or a 1 ton. Since we will buy used, that is our first purchase. THEN - we can be sure to match the 5e we buy (also used) to the truck. So safe for everyone.

Thank you all very much.

HEY:: Interested in a MH. Ours is for sale and is listed on this website. Its the 2007 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:30 AM   #14

New 3/4 tons are as capable as older 1 tons. Someone said that their 1 ton had a GVWR of 20k, my Ram 2500 has a GVWR of 25k. My diesel limits my payload, but the gasser has over 2.5k payload. I just bought an Open Range 319RLS, dry hitch of 1240. The Ram 2500 rides much better than the 3500 (4 - corner coils), so that was an easy choice. In any case, check out the Open Range Light: light, gooseneck or 5th wheel from the factory, no slider needed for short bed, decent amenities, and fairly priced.
humblehounds is offline   Reply With Quote