Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2021, 07:33 AM   #1

5th Hitch Jaws

Have a Curt Q24 hitch on a puck system in my Ford. Lately have noticed a clunking sound when starting from a stop. Hitch mount is tight in the pucks, no play. Is there a standard for rebuilding/replacing jaws and mechanism. 5th pin and jaws all look good but appears to be the source of noticed clunk. Somewhere way back I vaguely recall seeing an article showing a rebuild kit for these hitches. Looking on Curts website I don’t see anything.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2021, 05:45 AM   #2

My A20 does the same thing. I checked everything and it seems there is slight play in the jaws. Thought about changing hitches down the road as I figured replacing parts on it would result in the same thing after it breaks in. My neighbors A16 does the same thing but barely noticeable.

I have no idea where to get replacement parts…
Old 12-03-2021, 06:31 AM   #3

Curt used to warranty their hitches for 10 years. Call them with your questions.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 07:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeRetired View Post
Have a Curt Q24 hitch on a puck system in my Ford. Lately have noticed a clunking sound when starting from a stop. Hitch mount is tight in the pucks, no play. Is there a standard for rebuilding/replacing jaws and mechanism. 5th pin and jaws all look good but appears to be the source of noticed clunk. Somewhere way back I vaguely recall seeing an article showing a rebuild kit for these hitches. Looking on Curts website I don’t see anything.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Does your hitch latch tight to your puck system? The cams on the hitch are adjustable as there are slight variances in fit, I would check that first.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 10:51 AM   #5

I also believe there has to be some slop between the hitch jaws and the king pin in non-slider hitches. A millimeter or two is all you will need. Why? The trailer king pin needs to rotate as the truck maneuvers and the trailer will follow thru. If this was a tight metal on metal fit the king pin and or hitch jaws would wear after time and may need to be replaced.

My old Reese hitch head jaws had a slight gap when closed. I used paper bluing sheets the first time to ensure that a gap existed. There was no transfer of blue on to the hitch jaws form the king pin.
Old 12-05-2021, 10:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhagfo View Post
Does your hitch latch tight to your puck system? The cams on the hitch are adjustable as there are slight variances in fit, I would check that first.
OP stated the hitch is tight in the bed mounts........
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 07:55 AM   #7

Going to hook it up today and take another look, sometimes a second look helps.
Old 12-06-2021, 09:18 AM   #8

I had exactly the same problem with my 2017 F350 puck system with a Reese M5 hitch. I first checked the puck shafts to make sure there was no play in them. Then I noticed about 1/16" play in the hitch head mount assembly that mounts to a shaft running front to back. This allows the side-to-side tilt. When I accelerated, the hitch head assembly would slide back on that shaft & hit the rear frame of the hitch mount. I took a 1/16" washer, cut a notch in to allow it to slide over the shaft & tapped it down into that space. It still tilted side-to-side easily, but now there was no play. that completely solved the clunking problem.
In my previous truck, a 2008 F450, I had a similar clunking problem. After 7 years of fulltiming, the frame cross pieces that the old style Pullman cross bars bolted thru the bed floor into, had cracked & separated under the bed. This caused the bed floor to actually rise slightly when accelerating or braking, while pulling an 18.5K lb 5th wheel. I discovered this while cleaning out the truck bed on the day I was trading it in for my 2017 F350. I was removing the wiring for the air compressor in my Hensley air ride hitch, that ran under the bed to the battery up front, when I noticed the cracks & separation of the cross frame pieces.
freestyle_freddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch