Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2017, 01:48 PM   #1

5th vs Class A question

We have no experience but have done a fair amount of research on the pros and cons of 5th wheel vs. class A. One question I haven't found an answer to.

One of the advantages cited for Class A over 5th wheel is the ability when the weather is bad to avoid setup until the weather is better (e.g. spend the night without getting outside to set up).

I recognize you need to get from the truck to the trailer on a 5th wheel but beyond that is it not possible/practical to spend the night in a 5th wheel still attached to the truck and likewise setup when the weather improves?
Rrcbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2017, 01:53 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Some 5ers have such large slides that you cannot walk through when they are retracted. If you plan on being able to use it with the slides retracted, be sure you check that before you buy. Our Class A is fully functional with the slides retracted.

The problem is you can't open the slides until you have the jacks down and the trailer leveled, which you can't really do when it's still on the truck.

Or just put on a raincoat and deal with it. We tow our car on a tow dolly rather than 4 down, and if it's rainy it can be a bit messy putting on the straps. I just deal with it.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:56 PM   #3

Just like a MH except as you noted there is no difference. I have a switch inside to extend my slides.
IMHO the biggest difference besides initial cost is the necessity of having and maintaining two vs one drive train.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:04 PM   #4

If the spot is level there is no problem extending the slides on a 5th wheel while still connected to the truck. I have done it many times with the five different 5th wheels I've owned. As most 5th wheel slides are larger than those in a MH no you can't access everything. Oh and there is no problem extending the jacks while still connected either.
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 02:10 PM   #5

One note if you are towing with a Class A you need to unhook if you wind up needing to backup/back-in.

Not going to go into the pro's/con's of the two as there are good threads on that just wanted to point out you may still have to get in the weather if you stop at a park and have to back in.

Tom
Old 04-13-2017, 03:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
Some 5ers have such large slides that you cannot walk through when they are retracted. If you plan on being able to use it with the slides retracted, be sure you check that before you buy. Our Class A is fully functional with the slides retracted.

The problem is you can't open the slides until you have the jacks down and the trailer leveled, which you can't really do when it's still on the truck.

Or just put on a raincoat and deal with it. We tow our car on a tow dolly rather than 4 down, and if it's rainy it can be a bit messy putting on the straps. I just deal with it.

Why come you can't retract the slides with the truck hooked up to camper, I do that all the time.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 03:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenman View Post
One note if you are towing with a Class A you need to unhook if you wind up needing to backup/back-in.

Not going to go into the pro's/con's of the two as there are good threads on that just wanted to point out you may still have to get in the weather if you stop at a park and have to back in.

Tom

Tom, are we talking about a trailer or towed auto? The only time I have to drop my trailer to back in, is when it's stored in another parking area.

As far as preference, I miss our 5ver, it was just what we needed. Knowing now about the amenities, and systems difference between our DP vrs the 5ver, I would love to get another fiver and install mods and the same systems myself you find in the DP's.

With the fiver, we had a place to carry our bikes (toy hauler), and if weather was an issue, we had the truck, an F350 dually to go anyplace we needed.

Slides, never an issue connected or not, level or not, just never hang them out in the lanes in a truck stop, or rest stop.

With the DP, we have to still pull a trailer, can bring bikes, or a car, (one or the other, not both), and too long for some campgrounds unless we relocate the trailer.

You have to consider what issues you are willing to live with in either case. Finding that perfect setup is almost impossible depending on your expectations. Sure there are things you can do with one you can't do with the other.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:58 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree with the others. I drop jacks and extend slides frequently while the 5th is hooked up. That's standard practice for us at overnight stops. Makes for a faster departure in the morning. So far I have never had to setup in the rain- the day is coming for sure. But, there's not that much to setup anyhow for a basic stay. If you're going to attach to power, water, etc you still gotta get out. If it looks like rain is possible I just throw a rain jacket in the truck with a hat.

I can't count how many times I've setup tents in the rain, this is way faster and simpler.

There are many threads on this issue and the best answer IMO is what fits your needs and pocket book best. I think 5ths are simpler and considerably less complex than MHs- thus easier to maintain. I can change a 5th tire while would not even dream of doing it on a MH.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtwallace View Post
Tom, are we talking about a trailer or towed auto? The only time I have to drop my trailer to back in, is when it's stored in another parking area.
Towed auto. You "can" back up with one a bit but you are not supposed to. If on a dolly I am not sure but would hate to try. If an auto trailer well that would be one long back in slot.

If you check the class A threads and towing you will see comments about the need to unhook due to getting in a jam and needing to back up. Most folks seldom have it happen but it does happen. Now add in wanting to camp and if it's a back-in site you need to unhook first. (At least in any of the larger coaches like I drive I can not speak to the short class A's as too new RV's and never had one.) I have not yet seen a back in site where my toad could park on same axis and line as my coach let alone if the tow bar is added to length. Now you could avoid that if you can get a pull thru. Anyhow just my experience so far and observations of where we have been.

Tom
Old 04-14-2017, 09:00 AM   #10

KZ RV Club
Both 5th wheels and class A's have their place depending on your expectations. Yes you can open the slides on a 5th wheel while hooked to the tow vehicle if needed. I have done it many times without a problem. One of my criteria for a 5th wheel is to have everything accessible when the slides are closed and there are plenty of floor plans out there that meet this. In the past 14 years I have owned 2 5vers and both had access to everything you might need like refrigerator, stove top, kitchen sink, dining table, couch, complete bathroom, bed and clothes closet. For the DW and I for long term living and traveling a 5th wheel is the only way to go. I am sure there are others who feel the same way just as I am sure there are others who don't. I do feel that a class A is a more expensive overall owner experience from the cost of ownership to the cost of maintaining it. The choice is yours and there are many (maybe too many).
jetzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 04:00 PM   #11

In a pouring rain the motor home wins hands down. But in most rains the 5th wheels works. I leave it hooked to the truck and put the slides out. You get rained on from the truck, pulling out the steps, unlocking the door until you get inside the 5th wheel.

I must get lucky, I do not get rained on very often. Maybe if I was in the rainy North West I would think differently.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 04:10 PM   #12

If our travels consisted of driving to a location where we would spend 6 months or more each year, I would seriously consider going with a 38' 5th wheel as it would provide more living space.

Insofar as our travels vary to locations where we spend 3 months or less at any given time, our motor home serves our needs adequately.

Good luck with your choice and safe travels....

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 04:55 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrcbob View Post
We have no experience but have done a fair amount of research on the pros and cons of 5th wheel vs. class A. One question I haven't found an answer to.

One of the advantages cited for Class A over 5th wheel is the ability when the weather is bad to avoid setup until the weather is better (e.g. spend the night without getting outside to set up).

I recognize you need to get from the truck to the trailer on a 5th wheel but beyond that is it not possible/practical to spend the night in a 5th wheel still attached to the truck and likewise setup when the weather improves?
Advantage of a class A too is i've not had to pull over to let my wife go potty.. She just goes in the back. She can also make lunch or coffee while we are rolling. Pretty big perks to me for long distance trips.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:58 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm not about to let having to put on a rain jacket go from truck to 5th having any influence on my decision what type of RV to buy. IMO- there's a thousand other much more important considerations. Hey, I have run from the truck to the S&B door in the rain sometimes, no big deal. People put different values on their likes and needs and that's really great. It shows the great diversity in RVers.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a