Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2020, 03:18 PM   #15

My list if I were looking at a 5th wheel would be;

1. New Horizons (by far)

2. Luxe (a distant 2nd)

Me personally, I wouldn't buy any Forest River or Thor product. Your just a number on a spreadsheet, in my experience.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2020, 03:30 PM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post

1. New Horizons (by far)

2. Luxe (a distant 2nd)

Me personally, I wouldn't buy any Forest River or Thor product. Your just a number on a spreadsheet, in my experience.
If I were to do it all over again, that would be my exact list.
n0mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 06:37 AM   #17

Personally if shopping id go high end used rig. The quality you get at a reduced price your ahead if ya ask me. Balance of money normally spent id use to get the other things. The exact mattress you want. Extta batteries, inverter, gennie install. Im partial becuase of the rig i have so ill post my used rig list. There hiding out there but can be found.

Teton
New Horizons (several on OK craiglist)
Space Craft
Newmar
DRV prior to 2012 (before thor)
travel supreme (those at the end were beautiful)

All these rigs 35ft or more your 3500 DRW or bigger to carry them. But youve got a great full time travel rig.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:31 AM   #18

Forks also made a good trailer. There is a super nice one on rv trader right now. It was just listed & they are a hard find. https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...ACH-5013100402
Mtn. Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 02:22 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. Lion View Post
Forks also made a good trailer. There is a super nice one on rv trader right now. It was just listed & they are a hard find. https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...ACH-5013100402
absolutley they did. that one must have just poped up to. i frequently look online for those Continentals. Arguably the best built. The previous owner of my rig must have went to forks why they were stil working on them and had the landing gear replelaced. as thise are thr only rigs ive ever seen my landing gear on.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 02:42 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolenut View Post
absolutley they did. that one must have just poped up to. i frequently look online for those Continentals. Arguably the best built. The previous owner of my rig must have went to forks why they were stil working on them and had the landing gear replelaced. as thise are thr only rigs ive ever seen my landing gear on.

I learned about Forks from you I think you have great knowledge about which trailers are good.
The linked Forks RV weighs a lot too, 27k lbs gross. That would be a great candidate for a MDT or HDT, but it looks like the current owner has a Ford pickup under it.
Mtn. Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 05:20 PM   #21

I saw a Forks 5th wheel in person. Although solid I was not overly impressed. I would have picked the New Horizons.

Spacecraft builds some nice units too.

But back to normal high quality 5th wheels that a new 1 ton dually can tow.

1. Luxe
2. DRV Elite Suits
3. Riverstone
4. Cedar Creek Champagne

If you get an older 5th wheel it will look dated. Not sure why. Maybe LED lights, or old woodwork.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 06:26 PM   #22

Quote:

1. New Horizons (by far)

2. Luxe (a distant 2nd)

So what make do you have
Old 07-09-2020, 07:05 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane wood View Post
So what make do you have

Making the assumption you can and have read my signature also you read and comprehended " if I were looking". You already know part of the answer.

Since you ask;
A little over a year ago I owned a FR CC 5th wheel and a F350. We had a horrible experience with Cedar Creek and I decided I would never be a number on a spreadsheet again.
We wanted to upgrade to a bigger better (quality) 5th wheel and I did a ton of research and boiled it down to 80% New Horizons and 20% Luxe.

I also realized for what I was going to spend on a Luxury 5th wheel I could buy a used motorhome. Driving around DFW daily in a F450 wasn't appealing to me.

Appreciate your asking.
Old 07-09-2020, 10:27 PM   #24

You can get a brand new loaded Riverstone in your budget. We bought one this spring, but don't have much time in it. We are heading out for a week in a few days though. So far, I think the build quality is very good for a non-custom. Light years above the TT we sold, but I don't have time in the high end customs to compare. But it is loaded with features and amenities and wood trim and so far appears to be well insulated and well thought out. Maybe worth a look for you if you are not set on used.
jjackrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 08:18 PM   #25

We also have the Cardinal 3825 front living. We have loved it. My husband loves the head room in the shower. Tow with a Ram 3500 SRW.
TRNewsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 08:58 PM   #26

Take a serious look at the Riverstone by Dorset River you can buy a new one at that price or less . Go on the Riverstone forum . From what l have read on this site the people that have them are very happy with them . I saw them at a rally very nice and they do have that floor plan you are interested in .
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 02:32 PM   #27

Quote:
Making the assumption you can and have read my signature also you read and comprehended " if I were looking". You already know part of the answer.

Since you ask;

A little over a year ago I owned a FR CC 5th wheel and a F350. We had a horrible experience with Cedar Creek and I decided I would never be a number on a spreadsheet again.

We wanted to upgrade to a bigger better (quality) 5th wheel and I did a ton of research and boiled it down to 80% New Horizons and 20% Luxe.

I also realized for what I was going to spend on a Luxury 5th wheel I could buy a used motorhome. Driving around DFW daily in a F450 wasn't appealing to me.

Appreciate your asking.
No I did not look at your signature
Thanks for replying
Old 07-11-2020, 03:31 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by txamylady View Post
My husband and I are looking to purchase a 5th wheel. We would like a used 2017 thru 2019 luxury 5th wheel and are willing to spend up to 110,000. I am retired military and have done so much due diligence that I have totally confused myself. We have looked at the Luxe, the Vilano, Agusta Luxe, Agusta Ambition, DRV....any other suggestions or advice. We want a model with a rear bedroom and front living room. What would you buy for yourself if you were looking in that price range? I am very confused about what brand to get. I hear talk about Thor, and new Luxe vs older Agusta Luxe and really need some sound advice.

Like many have already said, first things first what do you plan to tow this "Luxury" 5er with? If you buy the 5er first and then the truck you could be staring at nearly $200K.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, advice, alliance, alliance rv, paradigm