Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2009, 11:38 AM   #1

Unhappy 5th Wheel--can't power slideout/refrig yet can power microwave, wall outlets. Huhhh??

Hi. Several weeks ago, bought a used 1997 Jayco Eagle 5th Wheel. Batteries were shot, so bought two new ones. Then went away for a few weeks, and when came back, batteries were dead!! I guess I should have completely shut down the electrical system.

When plugging in the 120, only can get power to microwave and wall outlets. Can NOT get power to slide-out, refrigerator, lights or leveling jacks.

Can anyone help me understand what to do?? I thought I didn't need fully charged batteries if I'm plugged into an outside electrical source.

Thanks so much.
doodlebug52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2009, 12:02 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
All the systems that won't power up are 12VDC systems. There's a very high likelihood that your batteries aren't charging when plugged into 120VAC because your power converter isn't working and, therefore, isn't charging them. Yes, even with the batteries dead, you should have lights, etc. with the 5th wheel plugged into 120VAC IF the converter is working and you don't have any tripped breakers, blown fuses, etc.

You probably have a Todd Engineering converter as those were a favorite with Jayco up through the 2000 model year. Todd Engineering is out of business now (for pretty obvious reasons - see next paragraph), so once you check all the most likely possibilities (no 120VAC to converter, blown fuse on converter, blown in-line fuse in +12VDC battery lead), you'll likely be looking for another brand to replace it. I'd recommend the Progressive Dynamics Intellipower 92XX series converter, where XX is the amp rating.

I changed out 1 Todd Engineering converter in our 1996 Jayco Designer 3030RKSS and 2 in our 2000 Jayco Designer XL 3610RLTS before switching over to the PD Intellipower 9155 - no problems after that. Our current 5th wheel had the PD 9180 as standard equipment - I just added the Charge Wizard. With the newer 92XX series, that intelligent multi-stage charging and battery maintenance function is built into the converter.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 01:30 PM   #3

I sure agree with Rusty on the converter - - you will continue to buy batteries if you do not have a multistage converter.

Have you put a voltmeter across the battery terminals to determine their voltage? That is step one. If you have 12v, then you probably have a blown 12v fuse to those circuits. However, you are mentioning so many circuits it is highly unlikely you have that many blown fuses. And, yes, highly recommend turning off the DC power switch when not using the unit assumming it is not plugged in to 120AC.
Bob
Old 04-24-2009, 02:53 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiverBob View Post
And, yes, highly recommend turning off the DC power switch when not using the unit assumming it is not plugged in to 120AC.
Our Jaycos didn't have a DC power switch, but there was an automotive blade-type in-line fuse holder in the positive cable about 6" from the positive terminal of the battery(ies). You can pop this fuse out and disconnect the batteries from the 5th wheel during storage if you wish.

Rusty
Old 04-24-2009, 10:16 PM   #5

Rusty, would an Intelli-Power 9100 series 40 Amp Converter/Charger be a good bet?? Did a google search and found that for $167

Monte

Old 04-25-2009, 10:11 AM   #6

Relooked at your post. I'm now looking at the 9200 series of the Progressive Dynamics Intellipower converter. My old Todd converter was 40 amps. The 9200 series has amps in 45, 60, 70, and 80. Should I lean towards the 45?

Monte
Old 04-25-2009, 11:33 AM   #7

Hi there,
Before changing your converter, for fun, try to check the output voltage, you should get at least 13.6V, reset any fuse on the unit itself before testing. If nothing happen, go for 92xx series. If you have a plan to add more electrical loads in the future, better get a higher amps and of course depends on you budget. AFTER THIS, MAKE SURE YOU INSTALL A "TOAD CHARGER" to charge your trailer batt while driving, this way you won't drain your batt at all in the future.
MARANATHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 02:43 PM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
The 9245 would be a good replacement for the 40 amp Todd converter. If you have/add a lot of DC loads, I might even go for the 9260, but this might require larger gauge wiring between the converter and battery.

I'm assuming you've verified that there's no 12VDC output at the output terminals of the Todd Converter with 120VAC present at the input and that any fuse(s) that might be on the converter are OK. Unfortunately, the later Todd Engineering converter design proved to be marginal at best, and the extremely high failure rate and resultant warranty costs brought the company down in 2000 or so.

If you have a 7-pin Pollack flat-blade connector on your tow vehicle and trailer, pin #4 should be a +12VDC feed from your tow vehicle to your trailer that ties to the trailer's battery +12VDC. If you don't have +12VDC at pin #4 with the tow vehicle running (some have a battery isolator relay; some, like my Dodge, don't), check the tow vehicle for a blown fuse.

Tow Vehicle Plug:

Trailer Plug:

Rusty
Old 04-26-2009, 11:58 AM   #9

Thank you Rusty!

Rusty, that is wonderful information and I'm going to check to see if this is so for my truck and trailer. Thanks a lotl I'm am waiting on my converter to arrive this week. Got an IOTA instead re: the guy who owns a converter website.

Monte
Old 04-28-2009, 09:47 PM   #10

I'm with Rusty on this one. Todd converters have given lots of troubles. I too had a Jayco designer 5er and I went through 3 Todd converters. I switched over to an Iota converter with a charge wizzard. That was a very good muti stage converter. I would stick with their 45 amp converter unless you are willing to increaser the wire size between batteries and the converter. Any modern converter (My favorites are Progressive Dynamics and of course an Iota) and they both have a 3 stage charging system that will be battery happy. If your Iota needs the pendant for multi stage charging get it. The most modern Iotas have the multi stage charger built in and no need for a pendant or charge wizzard.

Is your trailer still not working off batteries? if so check for a fuse or a circuit breaker between the batteries and the fuse panel. Also contact Jayco and have them fax you a wiring diagram. Jayco sets the gold standard in customer service and a wiring diagram will help you solve your wiring troubles.
-Paul R. Haller-
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, batteries, jayco eagle, lights, slide out