Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2008, 07:54 AM   #1

Anyone have an opinion on retrofitting to disc brakes?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2008, 07:54 AM   #2

Anyone have an opinion on retrofitting to disc brakes?
Old 06-07-2008, 08:36 AM   #3

It is at the top of my list. This is a reply from a company about this subject:
The IS/Disc Brake combination will give the trailer the best performingsuspension on the market as well and the safest from a stoppingstandpoint. 1) The IS system actually gives you a suspension for each wheel of thetrailer. There is nothing connecting the left wheel to the right orfront to rear (TRUE INDEPENDENT WHEEL ACTION).2) The system uses rubber in shear to dampen the effects of road shockinstead of steel. Rubber has a natural tendency to isolate road shockmuch better than steel.3) The system has a full 5 1/2" dynamic wheel travel. That travel iswhat dissipates the energy from the bumps in the road. What is notabsorbed in that travel is transferred to the frame and everythingattached to it. The more travel less transference.4) Fewer wear components. 5) You never have to worry about a bent axle again as the IS system iscomplete with an automotive style alignment that can be realigned. The installed price for the IS system is only $ 1,750.00 for a two axletrailer. That includes the removal of the old suspension system. The Disc brakes are by far superior to an electric brake. If involvedin a panic stop situation the disc brakes will stop in at least a 30 %shorter distance than the electric (assuming they are working at theiroptimum performance). There is no (or little) brake fade when wet.Replacement parts can be found at the local auto parts store. The cost for Disc brakes are $ 2,793.00 installed with Nev r LubeBearings. The cost for 2 piece grease bearings is $ 2,493.00. Should you have any questions or would like hard copies of literatureplease feel free to contact me at: Office: 574 293-1581 ext. 222Cell Phone: 574 370-9135Email: gary.wheeler@morryde.com Thank you so much for your interest in our products. It is ourcommitment to you that we will do everything in our power to make thisone of the wisest decision in your life regarding aftermarketinstallations to your trailer. Gary Wheeler, Retail SalesMOR/ryde International1966 Moyer Ave. Box 579Elkhart, IN 46515574 293-1581 Ext. 222gary.wheeler@morryde.com
Fulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 09:05 AM   #4

I converted our 5th wheel to disk brakes 2 years ago and couldn't be happier with them. I would not tow another heavy trailer without them. Prior to that I had tried lots of brake controllers: Sentinel, Jordan, and Brakesmart among others over a period of 10+ years and several tucks and trailers. I never felt comfortable that the trailers had enough brakes.

With disk brakes there is enough braking power to lock and slide the trailer tires at any speed under any conditions. Of course sliding the tires is not good for control or for the tires for that matter but you get the idea.

There are several outlets for parts, kits, and turn key installation services. I purchased a kit from Morryde and "helped" a mechanic buddy install them.

That's just my experience, I hope it helps.

Lee
Old 06-07-2008, 04:02 PM   #5

MORryde is a great company with good products. Their customer service is excellent. Installing the IS suspension was a great change in the ride in the truck and the condition of things inside the rig at the end of a hard days run. I blew and did not have disk brakes installed when I was there. I will not have another fiver without disk brakes. Even though I have the oversized drums/linings and keep them in superb condition, they are not as good as disks.
Bob
Old 06-07-2008, 05:16 PM   #6
Texas Boomers Wagonmaster

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
I am amazed they are not standard equipment for high end trailers that cost over $45K or at least an option when one purchases a new 5th wheel.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:13 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
One thing to keep in mind, with the new integrated brake controllers from Ford and GM, there have been brake problems (not working) w/ disc brakes. There was a lengthy post on the Excel owners Forum. I don't know if anything has been resolved.

2008 Excel E33TKE,'08 K3500 DRW, B&W Hitch
evan0810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:29 AM   #8

Thanks for the replies! I deceided to go with the disc conversion but ran into a problem I hope you can help me with. I have a Cedar Creek with Al-Ko 8k axles. Not only that, they have 8 studs on a 5 1/2" circle! Has anyone converted this setup? Thanks!