Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2019, 12:26 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
5th wheel entry steps

We are in our first 5th wheel. It has a very nice set of steps (4 steps) that lift up and store just inside the entry door. One of the thing we do not like about the steps is that you have to open the door before you fully climb the steps. My wife has RA and I have bad knees and it would be great to be able to stand on a top step/platform and open the door. I have seen some folks here in Myrtle Beach have built entry steps out of treated lumber with a nice landing at the top. I am not sure I will do that since when we leave they put our rig in storage until we return. I am not wild about transporting a heavy set of wooden steps back and forth when we come.

I am curious what others with 5th wheels may use other than the OEM steps.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2019, 01:32 PM   #2

Step 1--(ha ha) Get one of these. Even on my baby TT I love it and it make all the difference. Very easy to install.

(from this link or any other vendor you prefer)

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Strom...3305F95A534785
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:35 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliez View Post
Step 1--(ha ha) Get one of these. Even on my baby TT I love it and it make all the difference. Very easy to install.

(from this link or any other vendor you prefe

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Strom...3305F95A534785
Already have one of those. The issue is the steps, not the lack of a handrail.

Thanks.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:57 PM   #4

You want a strong 4 steps then buy the Torqlift glow step revolution.Easy to open and store.
buc1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by buc1908 View Post
You want a strong 4 steps then buy the Torqlift glow step revolution.Easy to open and store.
I believe their issue is not a problem with their steps, it's the fact they have to reach up to open the door. Another set of standard steps is not going to solve the problem.
Nevadastars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:56 PM   #6

People are finding out slowly that those LCI and Morryde Steps are not the end all be all to RV steps. I dislike them greatly, would much prefer a high quality set of extendable steps from the frame mount. RV manufacturers should offer the fold away steps as an option to the flip up type now for those that just don't want dirt and water inside their RV when they have to shove off in the rain. Why they thought those new steps were going to be the savior of the RV step industry I have no idea.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
We are in our first 5th wheel. It has a very nice set of steps (4 steps) that lift up and store just inside the entry door. One of the thing we do not like about the steps is that you have to open the door before you fully climb the steps. My wife has RA and I have bad knees and it would be great to be able to stand on a top step/platform and open the door. I have seen some folks here in Myrtle Beach have built entry steps out of treated lumber with a nice landing at the top. I am not sure I will do that since when we leave they put our rig in storage until we return. I am not wild about transporting a heavy set of wooden steps back and forth when we come.

I am curious what others with 5th wheels may use other than the OEM steps.
You need the portadeck: http://rv-co.com/Portadeck.html
Comes in all kinds of configurations. I don't have them, but people who do love them. Sounds perfect for your need.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:59 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdit92 View Post
You need the portadeck: Portable RV Decks - Port-A-Deck
Comes in all kinds of configurations. I don't have them, but people who do love them. Sounds perfect for your need.
Yes, actually I found that website and talked to the owner of the company today. Both their RV steps and RV deck can be installed over the existing Moryde steps I have on my coach.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:49 AM   #9

We had a step issue in the GF's Crusader. Due to the slope of the land I added a wood step to get up to the folding trailer steps but the whole configuration was awkward trying to open the door while on the steps. I went to one of the local mobile home sellers and got a metal framed, wood step entry step. Enough of a platform to easily open the door while on it. This application won't work for most but this trailer stays on her bay front property and we can move it out of the way if we need to take the trailer home during hurricane season and we are traveling in the motorhome. Ours is a 4 step with hand railings, 4' wide and a top platform 2' deep.

Just took it down there and what an improvement. Solid with no springy bouncy steps.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 05:02 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
When you build your stairs, using one of these would be a great place to start, it gets the 'hard' part done. Then all you have to do is cut stairs to the proper width, and put a couple of legs in back.
Assemble it all with screws so you easily dismantle it for storage when traveling.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Severe-Weat...inger/50071533
Old 01-24-2019, 06:25 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
These would do the job. You get an additional 31" x 19" platform at the top step. They are expensive (about $600 or so). I am still pondering building my own that I can assemble/disassemble.

http://https://rv-co.com/for-the-tip...d-lippert.html
Old 01-24-2019, 11:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
These would do the job. You get an additional 31" x 19" platform at the top step. They are expensive (about $600 or so). I am still pondering building my own that I can assemble/disassemble.

http://https://rv-co.com/for-the-tip...d-lippert.html
The set we got at the mobile home sales lot was $150. New condition just been sitting out a bit. GF will stain the wood with ebony stain and I'll touch up the paint when it warms enough. They bolt together so we could take them apart if necessary.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, steps