Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2018, 04:42 PM   #1

5th Wheel Front Cap and Decal

Recently returned from a trip to Florida - the Love bugs were terrible - my entire front cap and decal was covered with dead love bugs

Took it to the dealer to get cleaned up - took two weeks to remove all of the bugs from the front cap - but the acid from the love bug females literally ate away the decal - it will have to be replaced

Does anyone have a solution to this problem - a bug screen for the front of the 5th wheel or some chemical to put on to make getting the bugs off easier
JJMeyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2018, 05:24 PM   #2

I don't have an answer to your question and i'd like to know myself if there is a spray on protectant, but I've been using Bugs B Gone (now owned by Seafoam) for removal for years and it's the best I've ever used. Just spray it on, let it stand for a few minutes and then wipe with a wet towel. I think the water activates it. I wonder if it was the bug juice or the removal process that wrecked your decals?
Old 10-03-2018, 05:51 PM   #3

Auto dealers offer a clear vinyl wrap to protect paint finish on vehicles. It's not cheap at $450 for the front bumper of my new Chevy truck, but I wonder if a DIYS kit would work on the front of a fifth wheel. The attached kit is only 12" wide and would require seams but it's still a option.
https://www.amazon.com/VViViD-Protec...+wrap+for+cars
Otherwise, I replaced the front cap decal "CAMEO" for $30 from E-Bay.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 05:54 PM   #4

For future reference it's important to wash off the front as soon as possible. At least wet the front to dilute the bug juice action.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:15 PM   #5

I have been using a newer product called splat teck.I apply it before travel and usually the next day remove bugs from cap.Bugs come off pretty easy.Last trip I waited a week to remove,that was a little more difficult.Travel northern wi. and the u.p. in summer,so front cap gets full of bugs.splattecksystems.com.
42willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 07:25 PM   #6

Bugs-n-All takes it off easily!
tbos1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 07:32 PM   #7

Sorry that I don't remember where I saw it, but. There is a company out there that makes a front cap bra for 5ers. It looked pretty nice and ez to install.
I'm sure you can find it online
Tacouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 07:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacouser View Post
Sorry that I don't remember where I saw it, but. There is a company out there that makes a front cap bra for 5ers. It looked pretty nice and ez to install.
I'm sure you can find it online
I would worry the bra could scuff the clearcoat when travelling?
42willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 07:39 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwwicks View Post
For future reference it's important to wash off the front as soon as possible. At least wet the front to dilute the bug juice action.
drwwicks is right..... you HAVE to wash them ASAP. They are so destructive they'll eat the finish off of paint.

Maybe you can just remove the decal and not bother with it? Maybe paint the front cap?

You didn't say the age of the RV or whether the front cap is painted..... My front cap is painted. I've been using a product called Rejex for years on my RVs (motorhome's and 5th wheel's painted areas) and vehicles. On my recent trip when I got love bugs they washed off pretty easily on both the front cap and front of the truck.

Unfortunately rinsing the front cap (or windshield of a motorhome) seems to be a regular routine at the end of each days travel.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:29 PM   #10

I would think a single fresh coat of Meguiars Carnaba wax is super easy to put on front cap twice a year and makes bug removal easier and protects the cap from stains. Hot sunny weather certainly makes cleanup tougher. So you have to tackle it immediately by next day if possible.
dskyward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 05:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
I've been using a product called Rejex for years on my RVs (motorhome's and 5th wheel's painted areas) and vehicles.
2x on Rejex. Not a wax but a micropolymer sealer. Apply every six months.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:55 AM   #12

Another product Shine On-RV & Boat Fiberglass Finish Restorer. No Buffing! , it's a clear coat replacement just made for RV's/boats. It last about a year on my front cap and 2 years for the sides. I just bought my second bottle.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:22 AM   #13

5th wheel Cap and Decal

I guess I should have been more specific -

It is a 2017 Keystone Avalanche - the front cap is painted with a decal

In doing my research of the Florida love bugs - apparently the female eggs are very acidic and will literally eat through the decal and even the paint if not removed within several hours

I obviously didn't do that and when finally cleaned off the decal was damaged by the bugs - it might have been because of the removal - either way we will have to replace the decal

There is a bug screen for the front cap - called the Bugg Banner - you can find it online - kind of pricey

It requires some drilling into the camper ? to attach parts

I don't know how this will travel or if it could scratch the decal

Looking to put something on the front cap before I travel to protect it and the decal and something that would allow you to remove bugs - like a wax or spray to protect it
JJMeyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:36 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMeyers View Post
I guess I should have been more specific -

It is a 2017 Keystone Avalanche - the front cap is painted with a decal

In doing my research of the Florida love bugs - apparently the female eggs are very acidic and will literally eat through the decal and even the paint if not removed within several hours

I obviously didn't do that and when finally cleaned off the decal was damaged by the bugs - it might have been because of the removal - either way we will have to replace the decal

There is a bug screen for the front cap - called the Bugg Banner - you can find it online - kind of pricey

It requires some drilling into the camper ? to attach parts

I don't know how this will travel or if it could scratch the decal

Looking to put something on the front cap before I travel to protect it and the decal and something that would allow you to remove bugs - like a wax or spray to protect it

No different than a car finish, just use your favorite car wax/soap.

Tags
5th wheel, front cap