Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2013, 09:53 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
5th wheel guide

Is there a guide out there that shows different 5th wheels and the dry\loaded weights. Wanted to make my search easier...
Thanks

Retired:1999 33b Chieftain
ihbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2013, 05:43 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I do not know of anything with reliable information.

Do not believe the dry weight in the brochure. Typically this does not include any item listed as an option. Most trailer will be 1000# plus more than the "dry weight".

Loaded weight is strictly based on how much stuff you load on the trailer. The GVWR is the maximum loaded weight the trailer is designed to carry. If you use GVWR, you will be safe on fitting it to your tow vehicle.

On a 5er, consider 20% of the GVWR as you estimated pin weight...not the brochure weight.

There are no known short cuts, so you will need to do a lot of leg work.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:03 AM   #3

NADA shows dry weight but it is the dry and not gross so not as helpful as I would wish. Also, as stated above, it is an approximation not to be considered absolute.

After reading a few posts here I have decided to base any purchased decision on GVW and the calculated pin weight.
Greytraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytraveler View Post
NADA shows dry weight but it is the dry and not gross so not as helpful as I would wish. Also, as stated above, it is an approximation not to be considered absolute.

After reading a few posts here I have decided to base any purchased decision on GVW and the calculated pin weight.
Wise choice.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihbond View Post
Is there a guide out there that shows different 5th wheels and the dry\loaded weights. Wanted to make my search easier...
Thanks
Sorry, I forgot to address your inquiry/ topic.
Short answer, no compiled guide to my knowledge. You can compile your own guide from each fifth wheel trailer manufacturers website, but it will change every model year.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:33 AM   #6

As I look for a replacement fifth wheel I see many in manufactures' lineups with GVW starting above 11,000. Very nice but way out of my range for safety. I have found the weight ratings by looking at their web sites. I then write down the numbers and model. Tedious but I am retired.

I am looking for something from 2 to 4 years old which complicates the search since the manufactures' web sites are current models. What I am doing is looking at the current model then seeing what I can find for sale given the model number. Problem is some models change a lot between years so all bets are off.

I have seen some very nice rigs that I would not consider pulling without a 450 diesel DRW or Peterbuilt.

I seem to remember an annual publication by Trailer Life that lists all the manufactures' models for that year. Perhaps a library will have a copy. Maybe they have back issues for year of interest. And another thought - perhaps Camping World would have some sort of guide.

Sorry if this is a bit of a ramble, have only had one cup of coffee as I watch it snow.

GT
Old 10-29-2013, 10:07 AM   #7

Poking around I found this web site for Exel: Excel RVs: The Nations Top-Rated Luxury 5th Wheel - Excel RVs

The lightest fifth wheel they offer is 11,600 dry and they all go up from there.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:25 AM   #8

See if this helps: 2013 Keystone Trailers : Reviews, Prices and Specs : RV Guide

I see that Keystone pops but many others are there if you start from the beginning.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:33 AM   #9

We used this 6 years ago when we first started our research, and found it extremely helpful and unbiased (Ask a RV owner what the best brand is, and they will most likely tell you it's the brand they own):
RV Consumer Group - We Rate RVs

There is a cost for this, however, it's not all that much and it is definitely worth it.

Jim
Old 11-02-2013, 09:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamvir View Post
We used this 6 years ago when we first started our research, and found it extremely helpful and unbiased (Ask a RV owner what the best brand is, and they will most likely tell you it's the brand they own):
RV Consumer Group - We Rate RVs

There is a cost for this, however, it's not all that much and it is definitely worth it.

Jim
After having owned 4 fifth wheels to this point, and having purchased a real lemon last time due to my ignorance, I am about to give up and buy into the product listed above. It seems problems can be masked or ignored by an unscrupulous dealer and the trusting persons such as myself can be taken for a ride.

I have an independent RV repair guy I trust and he has been educating me as to what to look for and how to go about it. That combined with the above product should make a difference on the next rig.

And as far as my current lemon is concerned, I will just think of it as a write off and move on. Anything I can get for it will be a plus.

Mistakes = Experience, if you live long enough.

GT
Old 11-02-2013, 06:30 PM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
I paid $100 to the rv consumer group and wasn't impressed.
They give a vanilla take on all RV and companies.
Lot of there info comes from the MFG own site.

But other might have figured it was great info! What I read wasn't.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #12

TW,

Interesting and disappointing but not surprising. Will stick to my own research.

GT
Old 11-03-2013, 06:10 AM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytraveler View Post
TW,

Interesting and disappointing but not surprising. Will stick to my own research.

GT
Keep asking here and other forums! If you see a 5th wheel you like look for there forums. Some have owner ran forums and you can see what owners think. Go to them and do more researches there. Company's forums might not let negative comments I can tell you a few but not here.
Also research reviews on the internet.
When buying current Carriage Cameo I figured out a great frame is the most important part of 5ver(to me) it's your foundation. Last RV had frame seperation that happened a lot during 2008 a lot, I don't know if lipper frame still has the problem. It can be pretty costly to fix.
Carriage had video's of how they made there frames and I was impressed. Don't know how other do it, didn't see other video's.
This is just my prospective of research I did and figured out on my own. Some will come a long and disagree that's okay. Bottom line you got to decided.
Good luck.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:35 PM   #14

I started with the towing specifications for my current tow vehicle. I plan to upgrade, but not prior to purchasing the 5th wheel. I found my max tow weight, max pin weight, max axle weights (front and back), GCVWR and GVWR for my truck. Only then did I start researching 5th wheels.

When doing my research, I pretty much ignored the "Dry Weight" and went by Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. I figured the only time I'll be anywhere close to the "dry weight" is on the way home from the dealership! I used 20% of GVWR for pin weight and that really narrowed the field to find what I wanted. Only after figuring the max I could safely tow until I upgrade the TV, did I actually start looking at floor plans, cargo capacities, amenities, options, etc. Then I started looking at cost and that narrowed the field even further! I'm looking into upgrading tires (getting away from the "China Bombs" asap), and looking into anti-lock disk brakes for the trailer. Upgrading the brakes is pretty important. The only way the brakes won't be upgraded is if I go with a HDT instead of a larger pickup.

All in all, if I don't get a "lemon" I should be very happy with my ordered unit. Of course, I spent over two years looking and over a decade planning (including going back to school for yet one more degree for a "retirement" job) for this adventure. If all goes as planned, I'll be full-timing by the end of the summer. Stick house goes in June or July, traveling job starts (hopefully) in August or September.

It has long been a dream of mine to follow the weather (warm in winter, cool in summer), and now I think I'm actually almost there!!!
V-Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, guide