Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2015, 02:39 PM   #1

5th Wheel Heights

We are new to camping, bought our first travel trailer 2 years ago to get our feet wet. After pulling it 1000 miles, my husband has decided he would prefer a 5th wheel. We only have a half ton truck so we're limited to the size. He is worried about the height as well as the length and weight. We are looking for a used one and most do not list the height. What is the lowest height we can expect? I assume they're all at least 11', right?
JoJoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2015, 03:11 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

There's gonna be quite a bit of difference in height between different brands and models of 5ers.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 03:12 PM   #3

Not sure how high my trailer is, but I dont think its more than 10-11ft.......Its a 99 Keystone Springdale. Has enough head room for us in the bedroom which is usually the part that sticks up the highest

poncho62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 04:41 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome, glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 05:28 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 06:36 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with your search.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 06:54 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Welcome to the family.

Most half ton trucks will be very limited to 5ers. The lowest "low profile" 5ers will be around 10'. But that will mean the bedroom will be low in height, like under 5' tall. Wildcat back a few years ago made some higher profile 5ers that were very short that might be OK for a half ton, but bearly...

My Tundra (1/2 ton) is rated at 9900 lbs towing and 1700 bed (tongue) weight. The smaller 5ers can be 900 -1100 hitch weight and 7000 dry. And go up from there...
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 12:45 AM   #8

Use to have a majority of low profile units that could be pulled by a pickup. But the money is in the light trailers that do have better bedrooms.
But my experience. Is with 5th wheels and my reason is simple. They are safe and cut the wind much better. I would load a truck with a 5th wheel, but would be very carefully with the new light trailers.
There still many low profile unit available but the Pancake models as above are now rare. Even a higher unit above the cab tows much better than any comparable TT.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:45 AM   #9

Good luck and We are glad yall joined us
Thornhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:07 AM   #10

Thanks for all the welcomes, folks, and thanks for all the information. Caissiel, would you mind expounding on your comment about being careful with the new light trailers? My husband wants the 5er to be as lightweight as possible because of having a half ton truck but is that compromising the structure or stability of the unit? My guess is that light is not always better. But I'm new to all this and don't really have a clue!
JoJoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:52 PM   #11

The light TT trailers have taken over the small 5th wheel demand. There are hardly any 5th wheels available for 1/2 tons. The light trailers though called that can be long and heavy. But still towed by 1/2 tons because they are suppose to be light.
In the other end there are units that are very light to a point that I personally would be scared towing them with a lighter truck. The wind and transports can move them around a lot. Now these units usually have greater spaced axles to make them ride better.
I have a friend that was traveling light with a long light trailer towed with his 2500 gm. Well a gust of wind while he was turning at an intersection blew the unit on its side, he never loaded anything in the trailer to save on gas. Some units will do well but I personally like to be heavy. It's for better ride and control. I never mind being overloaded as it made the ride stiffer and I like it that way. And after all Cadillacs were very popular for that reason.
In all my years towing heavy I never felt insecure. Last summer I picked up a small sail boat for our sun and just hooked up and headed for home.
Now my truck weights 8000 lbs and the boat and trailer was barely 3000 lbs. Well due to improperly set up on the trailer this load was pushing the back of my truck all the time. To point I almost lost it.
Its not the weight of the unit but the wind jamming area and the loading to keep it heavy on the tow vehicle and the axles. With my heavy trailer, I once loaded all my tanks to do the 200 mile trip across the Florida keys. There was a big wind that day and I wanted stability.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:34 AM   #12

Its a good question by the OP... I would prefer a 5th wheel due to they pull better,,, BUT our garage only has 12' doors,, so we might go with a TT. And yes you'll be limited by a 1/2 ton pickup,, but not by any means un-doable.. (sp?) We'll see...
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel