Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2021, 11:28 PM   #15

Andersen cant be put in front of the rear axle. Ive got about 15000 miles on my bw companion and love it.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2021, 05:15 AM   #16

RV Trip Wizard
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefStan View Post
I am researching 5th wheel hitches, in the past I have only used Reese hitches. I am leaning towards the B&W Companion hitch and interested in opinions on the Andersen hitch.

thanks,
I currently use the Andersen Ultimate Hitch and have encountered a lot nasty road construction and traffic related issues as I am sure we all have and IMO, I believe it has passed the acid test in structural stability. The cable release was mentioned as having an issue, should the mounting of the ball cable release become kinked due improper location (kinked visible or not), then yes the release mechanism will give you a fit. Also not lubricating the cable and slide pin or not chocking the trailer wheels while disconnecting will put to much pressure on the ball, will make you say a bad word.

I experienced some chucking and clanking at first from the hitch and even though everything was torqued to spec, there was some movement where the hitch platform contacted the box floor. This was resolved by cutting down a stall mat purchased from Tractor Supply. Andersen sells a rubber mat for this hitch but it is not as thick as a stall mat. The rubber mat provides a bushing effect between the platform and truck box floor.

The offset that is provided by the Andersen Ultimate Hitch does set back about the thickness of the puck mounted ball adding a little more turning clearance to the back of the cab. The platform is engineered to transfer the weight forward of the rear axel , in my case 40 lbs to the front axel which is good because the Diesel engine up there has me close to maximum axel weight.

This hybrid fifthwheel hitch has got to be the lightest fifthwheel hitch on the market making it easy to handle and if weight is an issue on that rear axel then this is a fifthwheel hitch you should consider.
Old 08-01-2021, 05:35 AM   #17

Quote:
I am researching 5th wheel hitches, in the past I have only used Reese hitches. I am leaning towards the B&W Companion hitch and interested in opinions on the Andersen hitch.

thanks,
Some manufacturers are voiding warranties if you have an Anderson (Keystone) look at the Reese Dropbox.
big willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 09:00 AM   #18
mt2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Had the Anderson for a couple of years in a short bed 3/4 ton truck with a 11000# rig. Worked great with no problems but always had a nagging uncomfortable feeling about strength. Replaced it with the B&W Companion when we went to a long bed and a 16000# rig. No more worries!
Old 08-01-2021, 09:04 AM   #19
Community Moderator

Quote:

thanks,
What make of truck and is it the puck system? I know somebody who has a RAM 30K for sale right now. But he is in Branson, Missouri.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 03:43 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Great input, Thanks everyone,

I will also look into the TrailerSaver TS3. I have a new truck on order, a 2022 Chevy Silverado 3500hd with Duramax Standard 6'10'' bed. I was hopeful to get a hitch that was not a slider, with the B&W it seems to give you some flexibility to offset from center. please let me know your opinion if it is safe to go with a solid mount or slider.

Thanks
I have the previous gen GM pickup with standard box, which I believe is a couple two or three inches shorter in many dimensions when compared to your gen, and I went with the B&W Companion non-slider (RVK3700).

No issues so far. And I have to back in at a fairly sharp angle into my downsloping driveway, which is perpendicular to a pretty narrow country road.

The B&W mounting arms have two directions (as you noted). For my hitch model (which would be different from yours of course since I understand the puck system is now slightly different), you have the option to mount the arms in one direction which centers the king pin a few inches behind the axle. With the arms swapped, though, it places the king pin dead center over the axle. Note: It gives the exact dimensions of offset in the installation directions.

I tried the rearward hitch arm arrangement for our first trip, for the additional cab clearance, and it honestly was not a pleasant ride. Some bucking, and a surprising amount of chucking.

Ever since, I've had the arms configured to place the king pin dead center over the axle, and it rides great. Chucking is very rare now (and mostly due to my occasional lack of pedal discipline).

I do keep a closer eye on the cab to 5er clearance while backing now, and generally don't go beyond maybe 60-70 deg. Beyond that is really scrubbing the 5er tires anyway.

I took a risk not getting the slider version, and am happy here.
Old 08-01-2021, 04:23 PM   #21

KZ RV Club
Rota Flex & B&W Companion smoothest towing, I replaced a Reese with a Husky and then the B&W. I'll never go back the B&W does not jammed on uneven ground, one handed release, no jerking your arm out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210326_182405764_HDR.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	249.1 KB
ID:	338044   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2443.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	236.0 KB
ID:	338045  

Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 04:32 PM   #22

I have the Andersen and it works great for me. If I were starting over again, I would probably go with the reese goosebox, or the genY that is similar to the reese.
LanceKeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 08:01 PM   #23

Quote:
Great input, Thanks everyone,

I will also look into the TrailerSaver TS3. I have a new truck on order, a 2022 Chevy Silverado 3500hd with Duramax Standard 6'10'' bed. I was hopeful to get a hitch that was not a slider, with the B&W it seems to give you some flexibility to offset from center. please let me know your opinion if it is safe to go with a solid mount or slider.

Thanks

Sharing experience with 2 non-slider hitches in 2 F250 CC short bed (6’-9”) trucks with 2 different 5ers:

First was a 2001 F250 Crew Cab SB & 2003 Fleetwood Prowler, 32.5’ overall and front corners were as square as a shoebox. Hitch was a fixed Reese 16k hitch. Travelled with this combo from 2003 to 2009 all over TX and to Colorado, Florida, Tennessee, and Oklahoma. A lot of camping in older state parks that were pretty tight and I never had an issue backing in anywhere and never had a near miss with the cab.

Second was 2016 F250 crew cab SB and my current 2016 40’ Keystone Alpine with the non-sliding B&W Companion. Had this combo for 3 years before upgrading to a 2019 F350 DRW long bed. Traveled the same states mentioned above plus a few more. Again, no issues at all with the fixed hitch.

The spot to back in that required the sharpest cut with either rig was always my driveway at home. A bit more crowded with the 40’ trailer but still manageable.

So, in 9 years of travel with the above combo’s I never needed a slider and was never limited on any desired or necessary maneuvering.

One key to help minimize the need to back into extremely sharp angles is to always use the available room to position your rig and “point” the trailer toward the target before starting to back in….Essentially decreasing the angle of attack; this is also much easier on your trailer axles and suspension. (Taking a quick look at the trailer tires during a very tight backing angle is a good incentive to minimize the tight angles as much as possible.

Other thoughts….
1. It was certainly possible to get each of the trailers into the cab of the truck in my cases.
2. I took both rigs to an empty school parking lot within the first week of ownership and field tested just how tight I could back each unit. This helped to know the limits beforehand and get a sense of what was possible. However, this was a “level ground” test; a significant slope will decrease the allowed angle somewhat. So nothing replaces getting out to look when necessary.
3. I didn’t do any Boone docking; I could see where some Boone docking scenarios could certainly require a slider.
4. A slider would be good insurance and bring some peace of mind if there is any doubt or concern….everyone’s situation and camping needs are always a bit different.

Safe travels,
RVnAggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 05:15 AM   #24

I really like my B&W slider hitch. Many people say they get by just fine without a slider on a short bed truck & that is okay. I personally like the slider. When I am in tight spots I have enough to worry about without adding the stress of "am I going to hit the cab?" When I am even remotely in a tight spot I slide it back. Takes less than 10 seconds. The only complaint would be the weight. But you can't have a robust hitch that is not, & this thing is robust!
Old 08-02-2021, 11:34 AM   #25

I've had a few different ones but I only ever recommend two, as neither have ever given me issues.

For a 5th wheel hitch - B&W Companion all the way
If you want a Gooseneck ball - Reese Goosebox
Nlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 06:17 PM   #26

If you need a sliding hitch I would recommend an auto-slide such as the Demco or the Pullrite Superglide. I use a 2011 Chevy 2500 with 6'7" bed and a Pullrite Superglide 16K and I'm very pleased. Every time I turn it slides. No pins to pull, latches to mess with, it just works EVERY TIME. B & W makes a great hitch but I know if I had a manual slide I would eventually get lazy and think, "oh I'm not going to turn very tight this time" and bang, right through the window. I don't even think about the Pullrite.
3miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 06:29 PM   #27

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a long bed and use a 20K Pullrite ISR hitch.

Still looking for a good hitch I can hitch and unhitch at angles (less than 45 degrees). Tight parking at my house.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 06:36 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
I have a long bed and use a 20K Pullrite ISR hitch.

Still looking for a good hitch I can hitch and unhitch at angles (less than 45 degrees). Tight parking at my house.

Lack of an angled hookup is the only disadvantage I see with the Pullrite and we are fortunate to have a straight hook situation at home and so far I have been able to avoid angles. I hope the trend continues....
3miles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, hitch