Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2020, 10:14 AM   #1

5th wheel hitch now or wait

I am searching for a used 5th wheel trailer.
My questions is: should I get the hitch for my truck now or wait till I find the trailer?
I'm seeing I may have to drive pretty far for the trailer. I have the puck system on my 2020 Chev 2500 HD Duro.
BOP54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2020, 10:29 AM   #2

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
]Why not get it now? Get one that has a pin weight capacity that exceeds the payload of your truck. I personally will never have a non-energy absorbing hitch. It improves your ride and especially cushions the pin box and chin area of the rv. I highly recommend a Hensley Trailer Saver BD-3 which should be good for your truck. It's puck adaptable and has thick, no slop, positive locking jaws. Good luck.
Old 09-24-2020, 01:27 PM   #3

Since you have to travel far I would get it before. I have a B&W manual slider, and it is heavy, and trouble free, but I use a hoist in the garage to remove, and install it.
You have a lot of choices, and if you get an rv with a square front, and no beveled corners, you will probably need a slider if its a short bed truck.
Garyp4951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 02:15 PM   #4

I'd wait....you need to find the one you want and have it setting level, back under it and see how much bed rail to overhang clearance you have.....6" min......then measure to bed floor for hitch height....most hitches are up and down adjustable as are the pin boxes....and as was said, you might need a slider type.....I'd stay away from a gooseneck style......
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 03:42 PM   #5

I would also wait unless you need it to get the trailer home after purchase. There are a lot of hitch options and the pin box on the trailer you choose may affect your purchase decision. The puck dimensions on your 2020 truck are different than 2019 so the current offerings of hitches may be limited. There may be more options later.

There is the chance if buy used from a private party that they may want to get rid of their hitch also; possibly throw it in. It could save you some money.
Old 09-25-2020, 01:59 AM   #6

If you are shopping for a 5th wheel trailer, I'd also be shopping for a hit to suit my truck. I'd buy a hit that matches or exceeds my trucks ratings. I'd also consider a sliding hitch for non long bed trucks. Consider if you want to spend the money on a cushioned hitch or not. Buy well once and you'll not need another one for as long as you own the truck.

There are many types of pin boxes. I am not sure not many need special 5th wheel attachments. I think the majority are regular pin boxes.

Good luck hunting.
Old 09-25-2020, 04:07 PM   #7

I've been very happy with the B&W Companion I put in my GMC. The puck system is great. Install takes less than 5 minutes. Then you're ready to go in case you stumble across a deal you don't want to pass up. No waiting for a base to get delivered.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 05:54 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
I would say get the hitch now but do not take it out of the box - be sure you can return it if you do not install it. Take it with you but you may get a deal from your seller on his. It may not be what you want but you are all set without his. Do go with a slider if you have a short bed. I have a Pulrite that has worked well for me. IF I had a long bed I would probably go with an Andersen (light and easy to take out). The sliders are HEAVY and I have to use my tractor bucket/forks to lift it out. JMO mark
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickman54 View Post
I am searching for a used 5th wheel trailer.
My questions is: should I get the hitch for my truck now or wait till I find the trailer?
I'm seeing I may have to drive pretty far for the trailer. I have the puck system on my 2020 Chev 2500 HD Duro.

Myself I had the hitch in the bed when I was looking for a 5er. Get the hitch you want and have it ready.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:16 AM   #10

I would wait to get a hitch. Since you have a 2500 truck that means you won't have a very big 5th wheel trailer. After you've looked at trailers and realize you are well under-trucked for most 5th wheels, you'll be searching the 1T segment and what ever hitch you have now may not fit what you get. Just to get an idea, look at the capacity on the driver's side door pillar or door for the sticker with yellow printing and maximum capacity. Subtract average hitch weight, 150-250#, passengers beside you, any modifications you made to the truck since new, bedliner, toolbox, etc., and the weight of any tools and gear you carry in the truck. Since the 2500 is probably less that 2500# capacity you'll see that that doesn't leave much for pin weight. Now if you're going to be searching for a 27' ultra extreme light trailer, you might be OK.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 06:37 PM   #11

the 2500 truck with a duramax doesnt have a very high payload , have you consider 3500SRW . I agree with the post above your most likely only going to be able to be able to haul a 11,000lb 5th wheel and be under the rear axle rating. A 3500 SRW is safe to about 15,000lbs max . If your Ok with running over the rating your going to want air bags and keep a close eye on the weight the tires can handle. SRW 3500 is rated around 7000lbs limited by the tires. I have been hauling aa 5th that has 3500 ~3600lbs of pin weight on my 3500 and the rear axle is very close or is over depending on how much fresh water is in the tank. I am upgrading my current truck this week , because if overloading it and how it feels on the road. I got a Hensley BD-5 for the GM puck system 3 weeks ago .
Old 09-29-2020, 05:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc-mark View Post
the 2500 truck with a duramax doesnt have a very high payload , have you consider 3500SRW . I agree with the post above your most likely only going to be able to be able to haul a 11,000lb 5th wheel and be under the rear axle rating. A 3500 SRW is safe to about 15,000lbs max . If your Ok with running over the rating your going to want air bags and keep a close eye on the weight the tires can handle. SRW 3500 is rated around 7000lbs limited by the tires. I have been hauling aa 5th that has 3500 ~3600lbs of pin weight on my 3500 and the rear axle is very close or is over depending on how much fresh water is in the tank. I am upgrading my current truck this week , because if overloading it and how it feels on the road. I got a Hensley BD-5 for the GM puck system 3 weeks ago .
When truck manufacturers name and give descriptive titles to the vehicles it's mainly a marketing ploy and not necessarily representing any real characteristic of the vehicle. "Sport" term is thrown on just about anything to "enhance sales". There is no such thing as a "sport minivan". Go back in time and there was a Yugo Sport. YUCK. The HD label means essentially nothing except maybe this feature added some sort of nebulous ability to a wimpy light truck towing. As someone stated in another forum and thread, the 150/1500-350/3500 are in the "LIGHT TRUCK" category". Putting HD on the specs doesn't change that, just a marketing ploy.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:08 AM   #13

I thought this thread was about buying a hitch, not is my truck ok for a FW, and is the reason some people post once, and leave.
Garyp4951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:27 AM   #14

Poor OP, guy has a brand new 3/4 ton truck and people are recommending he get a new truck. If he uses a good trailer sizing calculator with the door pillar sticker numbers plugged into it he'll be reasonably informed of how much 5th wheel he can load onto that truck. OP, you need to be very aware of what your towing limitations are with that specific truck you own and you'll be fine. Just don't purchase too much trailer for the truck and you'll be fine. Also, don't forget the hitch counts as cargo along with anything else you have in the bed or cab of the truck when you plug in your numbers to a calculator.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, hitch