Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2022, 04:39 PM   #1

5th wheel hitch removal

I have a 2015 Forest River 3600 and a new Chevy 2500HD with a factory 5th wheel install kit and it is a real challenge for an old guy to lift the hitch out of the factory sockets due to weight, approx 250 lbs.
I was thinking about releasing the hitch from the truck tie downs rather than uncoupling the jaws at the kingpin and just use the trailer front lift hydraulic jacks to lift the hitch out and leave it hanging from the kingpin when I need to free up the truck box
Has anyone else done this?
It seems to me that the kingpin is definitely attached securely enough to hold this extra weight.
I appreciate your thoughts
Bob Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2022, 04:52 PM   #2

I've done just that many times. I use a B&W Companion so it's not too bad to take apart and move, but storing when not needed is a problem. Leaving it attached to the trailer is a good solution. Make sure you are high enough when backing under then lower so the drop is only an inch or so. Pull the kingpin release and drop it to the bed. Pull out to clear the camper to make the final adjustments. Be careful aligning the pucks and it should drop right in.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 06:15 PM   #3

5th wheel hitch removal

I mounted a hoist on the ceiling of our garage, and just back the truck up underneath it. Once the truck is out of the way, I lower the hitch on a 4 wheel dolly.
B & W makes an attachment that the jaws of the hitch can clamp down on. It makes attaching the hitch very easy.
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 08:09 AM   #4

We switched to a Goosebox for this very reason. Bad back required using the tractor to remove and replace. We use our truck bed a lot so we always had to remove it.
Old 07-13-2022, 08:31 AM   #5

Love my Anderson Ultimate but I already had a B&W turn over ball. It's quiet and for around 40lbs it's easy in and out. The ease of transport however has me locking it to landing gear with a bicycle lock if leaving camp.
rrsutherland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 08:36 AM   #6

The Andersen Ultimate will solve all your weight problems. You can get one that attaches to a gooseneck ball or one that attaches to standard rails. The weigh about 35#. Rail mount is rated for 20,000 and the goose neck mount is rated for 24,000.
Bill Nourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 08:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite77 View Post
I mounted a hoist on the ceiling of our garage, and just back the truck up underneath it. Once the truck is out of the way, I lower the hitch on a 4 wheel dolly.
B & W makes an attachment that the jaws of the hitch can clamp down on. It makes attaching the hitch very easy.
I did the exact same thing. Bought a Harbor Fright electric hitch. Mounted to a truss in the barn works great!
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2022, 09:04 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nourse View Post
The Andersen Ultimate will solve all your weight problems. You can get one that attaches to a gooseneck ball or one that attaches to standard rails. The weigh about 35#. Rail mount is rated for 20,000 and the goose neck mount is rated for 24,000.
X2

KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 10:21 AM   #9

OP. Trailer Saver, which manufactures heavy hitches, recommends using the landing gear to lift the hitch out of the truck as you describe. I would lower it onto a sawhorse or something to bear the weight for extended time out of the truck while still on the kingpin.

I use this method when I remove my hitch during the off season. Backing under it in the Spring is a two person job to get it aligned right. I have rails, maybe it would be easier with pucks.
Old 07-13-2022, 12:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brooks View Post
I have a 2015 Forest River 3600 and a new Chevy 2500HD with a factory 5th wheel install kit and it is a real challenge for an old guy to lift the hitch out of the factory sockets due to weight, approx 250 lbs.
I was thinking about releasing the hitch from the truck tie downs rather than uncoupling the jaws at the kingpin and just use the trailer front lift hydraulic jacks to lift the hitch out and leave it hanging from the kingpin when I need to free up the truck box
Has anyone else done this?
It seems to me that the kingpin is definitely attached securely enough to hold this extra weight.
I appreciate your thoughts
I've done that.
Old 07-13-2022, 02:25 PM   #11
JDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRNewsom View Post
We switched to a Goosebox for this very reason. Bad back required using the tractor to remove and replace. We use our truck bed a lot so we always had to remove it.
This is the method I came up with to remove my hitch for my Goosebox.

To the OP: That will work and will save your back. I had to do the same thing with my prior hitch when my back went south on me. I was able to get the Goosebox installed as part of the deal when we bought our Pinnacle a couple of years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_0407.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	370928   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_0363 (2).jpg
Views:	68
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	370929  

JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 03:18 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
It sounds like the OP already has a hitch and probably doesn't want to change it.

I think lining up the hitch to the 4 puck holes might prove tedious.

No one has mentioned getting a motor lift yet....

Something like this...

I too have a hoist in the garage. But in about a week when I get my Reese Goosebox on the RV I won't be needing it nearly as often.
Old 07-18-2022, 12:50 AM   #13

I've hung my Reese 16k slider from my pinbox for years because I hurt my back multiple times moving it in and out of the truck. I haven't done it yet on the new trailer because I haven't had to remove the hitch yet and I'm not completely sure how the auto level will like it hanging there but I doubt it'd cause an issue.
Old 08-10-2022, 06:57 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
It sounds like the OP already has a hitch and probably doesn't want to change it.

I think lining up the hitch to the 4 puck holes might prove tedious.

No one has mentioned getting a motor lift yet....

Something like this...

I too have a hoist in the garage. But in about a week when I get my Reese Goosebox on the RV I won't be needing it nearly as often.
I have one of those engine hoists, and I measured to see it I could use it for 5th hitch removal/installation, but it wouldn't reach far enough into the bed to set it into the pucks. I would have to remove the tailgate to get it far enough forward, and that just adds to the job, so I hung a small chain hoist in my 3rd garage bay for hitch installation/removal.
HiWay-OurWay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, hitch, removal