Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2018, 09:39 PM   #15

Our Grand Design Momentum does a nice job. Only camped once in the 30's and it did fine.

We camp often in 90+ degrees and it does a nice job.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2018, 04:22 PM   #16

Awesome information

Definitely want to say thank you to every single person that has given me information to go on. I am in the market right now for one that will fit my needs and has a good floor plan. As well as the winter package. The maximum length I am looking at is 42’. Price ranges made upper $65,000.
I have to say without a doubt I have received more information here that I have other forms specifically designed for models and manufactures. So by saying that I am saying keep up the good work is awesome to know there are members that are active in an awesome group.
Just to kind of get an idea of the floor plan that I like it is the Sanibel 3800. If anyone has more information and suggestions please by all means don’t hesitate to let me know.
And in advanced a great big thank you.
Off road 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 07:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off road 4 View Post
Definitely want to say thank you to every single person that has given me information to go on. I am in the market right now for one that will fit my needs and has a good floor plan. As well as the winter package. The maximum length I am looking at is 42’. Price ranges made upper $65,000.
I have to say without a doubt I have received more information here that I have other forms specifically designed for models and manufactures. So by saying that I am saying keep up the good work is awesome to know there are members that are active in an awesome group.
Just to kind of get an idea of the floor plan that I like it is the Sanibel 3800. If anyone has more information and suggestions please by all means don’t hesitate to let me know.
I really like an entertainment center on the back wall too. As long as the TV retracts and a big rear window is there.
Old 04-01-2018, 07:56 PM   #18

Grand Design Owners Club
Cardinal and Solitude units we looked at both had elevator tv s and the best Windows. We we looking at smaller ones though.
cfowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 06:40 AM   #19

I will second on the River Stone they offer 2 lines the River Stone and the Legacy line, we are very happy with ours.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 03:57 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMelder View Post
Forest River "Riverstone" is impressive with 3" walls, R38 ratings on walls, ceiling, floor, and hyd.disc brakes, 17.5" H rated tires. Beautiful fit and finish ... you should check them out.
We live in a RiverStone 39FL. We've experience both ends of extreme temperature fro +108 to -10. We have the third AC option and the temp inside was 76 with the AC cycleing off and on. At -10 we had no issues with freezing with the trailer.....and we are not skirted.

In addition, other than a failed water pump, this trailer has been flawless. If I was buying one today, it would be a very short list to shop from....RiverStone and maybe New Horizons. But after our experience with RS, I would be hard pressed to spend the extra money for a NH.

I do think NH is superior in frame construction but we are not beating ths RS up and down the highway...it stayes parked. RiverStone really works for us.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:05 AM   #21

Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampowerwago View Post
We live in a RiverStone 39FL. We've experience both ends of extreme temperature fro +108 to -10. We have the third AC option and the temp inside was 76 with the AC cycleing off and on. At -10 we had no issues with freezing with the trailer.....and we are not skirted.

In addition, other than a failed water pump, this trailer has been flawless. If I was buying one today, it would be a very short list to shop from....RiverStone and maybe New Horizons. But after our experience with RS, I would be hard pressed to spend the extra money for a NH.

I do think NH is superior in frame construction but we are not beating ths RS up and down the highway...it stayes parked. RiverStone really works for us.
What would your thoughts be on the grand design solitude 375 RES?
Off road 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 02:04 PM   #22

Quote:

If I were in your shoes I would be looking at used DRV Mobile Suites and Elite Suites. For one thing, the walls are 3&1/4" and well insulated. That's just one of the many reasons DRV stands head and shoulders above other production 5th wheels. Our Mobile Suites is our 3rd 5th wheel. If we had known then what we know now, our first one would have been a used DRV.

Happy trails,
Old 04-05-2018, 04:47 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Explorers View Post
If I were in your shoes I would be looking at used DRV Mobile Suites and Elite Suites. For one thing, the walls are 3&1/4" and well insulated. That's just one of the many reasons DRV stands head and shoulders above other production 5th wheels. Our Mobile Suites is our 3rd 5th wheel. If we had known then what we know now, our first one would have been a used DRV.

Happy trails,
Holy Crap DRVs are heavy.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:49 AM   #24

Off Road,
I'll toss in my two cents worth. No Rv is 4 season worthy. Just can't get enough insulation there. Tiny houses with 4" envelope of spray foam would do it. You can get well insulated RV's however. Look for bonded foam walls, dual pane windows, and a trussed well insulated roof. Insulated floor is a must. Like any home, you have to start with a good foundation. Look for a manufacturer who builds their own. No four season camper is going to be a lightweight.
As far as experience, we've had 2 RVs out of the 20+ we've owned that I'd recommend. Both from LeGrande. We had a CreekSide 20FQ that we had through a blizzard in Wyoming. Got down to 8* and we were stranded for 3 days. Kept nice and toasty with just a 600w electric heater. We haven't had to do that with our Arctic Fox cause we leave earlier and come home later but we have been below 32 many times and over 90. We quit boondocking then and head for an electric plug. It's not as comfortable as a house, but we haven't suffered.
Hope this helps, Ken
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:45 AM   #25

Grand Design does list insulation R values for walls, floor and ceiling. They also list R value for garage floor. Not sure who else does.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:23 AM   #26

R values

In my opinion comparing R values is useless. No RV manufacture provides an independently validated R value. It's just advertising. It would be better to look at construction techniques.

Are the slides fully insulated including the slide floor?
Are there electric outlets in the exterior wall that create cold spots.
What has the manufacture done to reduce air infiltration?
How good is the seal around the slide?

I'd trade a advertised difference of R4 in the wall for benefits in the other areas.

mjdenn
mjdenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 11:30 AM   #27

Quote:
I am trying to gather a bit of information on potential RVs that are Truly 4 season worthy . Any specific models and brands as well as information is welcome.
4 season RV WHERE?

Above the 49th - we get

ALMOST WINTER - WINTER WINTER - NEAR WINTER - SUMMER

So I generally camp MID MAY - END SEPT .... that's it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	borderlines_29historic-blog427-v2.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	198036  
CF-104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 04:40 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF-104 View Post
4 season RV WHERE?

Above the 49th - we get

ALMOST WINTER - WINTER WINTER - NEAR WINTER - SUMMER

So I generally camp MID MAY - END SEPT .... that's it.
54* 40' or FIGHT!

Tags
5th wheel