Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2020, 10:01 AM   #29

40' 2013 Cedar Creek+6' Little Creeker behind 2004, F-350,CC,SWR,SB,6.0 Diesel.
C.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2020, 10:08 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Very nice rig but I would never put that behind a single wheel truck. Not judging, I just prefer a safety cushion and not driving close to the edge of, or maybe over capacity ratings.
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 08:18 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerman View Post
Very nice rig but I would never put that behind a single wheel truck. Not judging, I just prefer a safety cushion and not driving close to the edge of, or maybe over capacity ratings.
How do you know that? A picture will not tell you anything about MASS or capacity.
Old 03-11-2020, 08:29 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
I’ll guarantee you that it is very close to max capacity. Many are probably fine going that route but JMHO, I wouldn’t do that setup without a dually.
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 09:28 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
How do you know that? A picture will not tell you anything about MASS or capacity.
No, but we know it's a Cedar Creek and they aren't light. Judging by the pic it's gotta be 38' or so overall length, maybe closer to 40', add another small trailer and that can be a lot of lateral force in windy/sway conditions for 2 rear tires to manage. I'd guess the trailer is 16 000 lbs loaded minimum. Add a few hundred for the smaller trailer.
kdauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 11:10 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
If you want the exact weights, get your truck loaded up as you would when going camping, fuel it up full, firewood in box (if any) etc. Find a truck stop that has CAT scales and get your truck weighed, you'll have the exact weight on the rear axle. If your 5th wheel hitch is already installed, fine, if not, budget at least 200lbs for it and maybe 30 more for rails and brackets,depending on the setup.

Take your rear GAWR and subtract the actual weight you got from your ticket. THAT will be the maximum pin weight.

The average 5th wheel will be close to its maximum GVWR ready to camp. Many get caught up by "dry" weights, but no one ever camps like that. Use the trailer's GVWR. On a 15000 lb GVWR, you can figure an easy 3000 lbs of pin weight. The average is around 20% of actual weight. Toy haulers tend to be a higher % when not loaded with a heavy vehicle or cargo in back, but get back to 18-20% loaded heavy.

Hope that helps.
I took your advice and weighed my truck. Me, wife, our 2 dogs, full tank (diesel) and here are the cat scale weights:

Truck = 8380
Drive axle = 3460
Steer axle = 4920

Still leaves me with 3120 lbs of payload for the 5th wheel and hitch. Now I understand the weight on the rear axle and the trucks front and rear gawr. Still have another 3700 available for the rear axle. I’ll reach my trucks gvwr before I hit the rear gawr. Next time I’ll weigh the truck with our travel trailer which is fairly light. Gvwr 7500

Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated!!
Jstamm2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 12:19 PM   #35

Just speaking from our experience without reference to numbers or weights. We towed a 40' Montana and a 42' DRV with a F-350 SRW short bed all over the country, 20,000 miles probably without any problems other than getting jerked around by the wind on occassion. I argued with the old time 5er folks that what I had was sufficient and I wasn't worried about our set-up. I also acknowledged that I was on the edge or slightly over, numbers-wise. Then, I came upon a really nice used 2011 F-450 DRW King Ranch long bed with only 39,000 miles. Bought it! It was eye opening to me. In normal towing, I don't even know the DRV is back there. In the wind, it's a world of difference. Very little sway, and no jerking around at all. In my mind, I know there is a safety factor I didn't have before. And, another factor not usually highlighted, I blew the outside right rear tire on the dually while towing. Practically no impact on driving or towing. Got to a pull-off without any problems. If it were a SRW, the situation would be different.

Good Luck!
Old 03-21-2020, 01:00 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzly03 View Post
Just speaking from our experience without reference to numbers or weights. We towed a 40' Montana and a 42' DRV with a F-350 SRW short bed all over the country, 20,000 miles probably without any problems other than getting jerked around by the wind on occassion. I argued with the old time 5er folks that what I had was sufficient and I wasn't worried about our set-up. I also acknowledged that I was on the edge or slightly over, numbers-wise. Then, I came upon a really nice used 2011 F-450 DRW King Ranch long bed with only 39,000 miles. Bought it! It was eye opening to me. In normal towing, I don't even know the DRV is back there. In the wind, it's a world of difference. Very little sway, and no jerking around at all. In my mind, I know there is a safety factor I didn't have before. And, another factor not usually highlighted, I blew the outside right rear tire on the dually while towing. Practically no impact on driving or towing. Got to a pull-off without any problems. If it were a SRW, the situation would be different.

Good Luck!
Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-21-2020, 07:30 PM   #37

What you describe is what a few on here try and explain. Just because its a diesel.dont mean it moves the world. There is more to it then diesel power. To move safely you need plenty of mule to pull and stop your wagon
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 07:28 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolenut View Post
What you describe is what a few on here try and explain. Just because its a diesel.dont mean it moves the world. There is more to it then diesel power. To move safely you need plenty of mule to pull and stop your wagon
I am very grateful for that info as well. It is so easy to go get weighed. Download the catscale app and enter the scale location number and you pay online while you’re on the scale. Easy Peasy. Helps to educate those pulling these rigs.
Old 03-28-2020, 02:06 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
If you want the exact weights, get your truck loaded up as you would when going camping, fuel it up full, firewood in box (if any) etc. Find a truck stop that has CAT scales and get your truck weighed, you'll have the exact weight on the rear axle. If your 5th wheel hitch is already installed, fine, if not, budget at least 200lbs for it and maybe 30 more for rails and brackets,depending on the setup.

Take your rear GAWR and subtract the actual weight you got from your ticket. THAT will be the maximum pin weight.

The average 5th wheel will be close to its maximum GVWR ready to camp. Many get caught up by "dry" weights, but no one ever camps like that. Use the trailer's GVWR. On a 15000 lb GVWR, you can figure an easy 3000 lbs of pin weight. The average is around 20% of actual weight. Toy haulers tend to be a higher % when not loaded with a heavy vehicle or cargo in back, but get back to 18-20% loaded heavy.

Hope that helps.

Weighed the truck and then the truck and camper. Here is my weight report with our 31’ TT

Steer axle - 4520
Drive axle - 4620
Trailer axle - 6200
Gross 15340

Found out that the hitch weight was an astonishing 1160lbs! My first reaction is that I don’t think any 1/2 ton should be towing a 7500 camper.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:44 PM   #40

I went from a 35' including A frame 8' wide to a 42' fifth at 101" it does not seem any different, actually feels a bit more stable and is easier to back into spots.
BriarPatch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel