Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2016, 11:50 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
5th Wheel Living

In 2013 my husband and I packed up tents and bought our first TT, in 2016, we traded that in and bought a new FR Cascade 28ft TT. We love it and are out every chance we get. During the summer we hook up long weekends or take a week or so off to take off and enjoy the freedom and calm that RVing and being in the "woods" brings us.

Which brings us to our decision, we are going to buy a piece of land in a development park and put our "new home" on this 3500 to 4000 sq ft parcel of land called home.

We have spoken to others that already own in this park and have 5th wheel units. This weekend we went out and looked at 5th wheel units and fell in love with a few models.

There are a couple things we would really, really like, 1) a king size bed, 2) a Washer/dryer, 3) a full size refrigerator, 4) ample storage.

We really liked a 2015 Mountaineer, front living. It was 37'

Another good one was a 2012 Open Range, it was 39'

Finally we liked the 2013 FR, Cardinal, front living. I did not mark the length of this one.

Does anyone have any suggestions on good 5th wheel options? I would like to have at least 35'. This will stay parked at the site we buy, we will not be towing it to our off site camping locations. We will buy a small bounce around TT for the times we run the roads.

We have just decided to sell our 2000 sq. ft house, and simplify our lives.

We just finished staying at this park for 2 weeks and both of us (me especially)were in tears upon leaving. It really feels like home!

Our youngest is in his last quarter at college, so by January 2017 we will be in the final stages of our transition and hopefully have our house sold.

Thanks for any advice on 5th wheel rigs, we are still really green to this world.

Magic
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2016, 02:10 PM   #2

Once My wife and I decided on the floorplan we began our search for a good slightly used FW. Open Range was on our short list. In March we found a Forest River Cedar Creek that met our criteria. I think it's listed at 39'10". It is prepped for W/D but has all the other items on your wish list. We love it! It has a residential Serta "Trump" mattress. If full timing, I would likely replace it with a Sleep Number, but for our occasional use its a good matress.

We have it parked at a lake property for the summer where I set it up with FHU. We will be using it to travel too on occasion but for the next few years, primarily, it will be parked.
DJNCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 02:39 PM   #3

For heating the trailer I'd put heat pump A/C units on my short list. When we need heat it's a real drain on the Propane tanks. Heat pumps use the park's electricity. Might be worth looking into.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:37 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Very good suggestion. I am going to look at the FR you mentioned sounds like a great size. We just purchased an i-comfort mattress for our home, so I will be taking that to the trailer for the king bed. If we had to settle on a queen, then our current TT has an i-comfort queen. A unit that was WD prepped is fine, we can add it in, one we looked at had a Trump Serta mattress in it. While it was comfortable, nothing beats our I-comfort. Thanks again for a lead on a great FW.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:38 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
That is an awesome idea. I wonder if it is expensive to add or difficult to put in? I will check it out. Very good idea, thank you so much.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:43 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
If you have no intention of moving the trailer you may wish to look at park models. They are more like a S&B than a 5 wheel will be. Flush toilets, full size appliances, etc will be available.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:24 PM   #7

Recommend looking at Grand Design too.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:57 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
They are nice! Putting them on the list.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:00 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
We did look at a couple park models. The inventory is so limited, and the ones we looked at seemed like you were in a single wide trailer. We thought there seemed to be more roomy, homey feeling with the slides. But we are certainly open to park models.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:11 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't think you mentioned where this new park is located. If it freezes in that area consider if the unit is rated as four season. Holding tanks and plumbing inside of a heated basement area. The idea of a heat pump is very good when the other guys is paying the electric bill. Some parks meter and bill units that are parked long term. If you do use propane for heat can you have large capacity propane tanks install in your space? Also checkout what the dealer says about full timing in the models you like. Will the warranty be honored? I hear some makers decline claims for full timers. Just saying check it out all the way through and know what you are getting into. Try asking some of the other long term campers about details if you haven't already. I'm sure you will come up with a good solution. Enjoy a new life style!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicalwoman View Post
We did look at a couple park models. The inventory is so limited, and the ones we looked at seemed like you were in a single wide trailer. We thought there seemed to be more roomy, homey feeling with the slides. But we are certainly open to park models.
You may want to search for "Destination Trailers". I know at least Forest River and Keystone have small park model trailers with slides. I see them in the park we are right now. These trailers are made for what you intend to do...buy it and park it. 5th wheels are more intended for travel, so will usually have better suspensions, etc. Cost wise I think the destination trailers are somewhat cheaper than the 5th wheels/
donnandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 02:13 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicalwoman View Post
Very good suggestion. I am going to look at the FR you mentioned sounds like a great size. We just purchased an i-comfort mattress for our home, so I will be taking that to the trailer for the king bed. If we had to settle on a queen, then our current TT has an i-comfort queen. A unit that was WD prepped is fine, we can add it in, one we looked at had a Trump Serta mattress in it. While it was comfortable, nothing beats our I-comfort. Thanks again for a lead on a great FW.

Make sure you get a good measurement on the king mattress. Most Rv's have a "short king" which is not quite as wide as a standard king. OK if you have room between walls or nightstands but measure beforehand to be sure.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:27 AM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Doing a quick search I am liking what I see. Thank you for this tip. Worth looking into.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:28 AM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
We learned that with our first TT and the queen. We usually carry a tape measure with us. Sometimes we forget or we do some spur of the moment shopping.

Tags
5th wheel