Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2019, 07:08 PM   #1

5th Wheel Opinions

I want to buy a used 5th wheel in the next year. I’m selling my house in the MidWest and am moving south to Northern Alabama. I need something I can live in for 1-2 years while I build a new house on a parcel of land. Size is not an issue; I have an F-350 SRW crew cab, 8’ bed, diesel, 4x4 that I will pull it with. It’s just going to be me so I’d be fine with a smaller unit. I’d like to spend under $20,000; preferably around $15,000. What brands should I be looking at that offer the most durability in my price range? What ones should I stay away from? For example, a guy in the next town over has a 2014 30’ Keystone Sprinter. Asking $16,000. Is this a brand I should even consider? Any help is much appreciated.
5wheelAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2019, 07:29 PM   #2

In that peice range I would look seriously at Cedar Creek or Cardinal. Two years ago I sold my 2005 Crdar Creek for your price range. The buyer loves it still and he put it on a stationary spot. Others to look at would be Teton, and if you can find one Arctic Fox.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:41 PM   #3

It gets cold in north Alabama in the winter nights. You can go to YouTube and search 'How are Keystone Sprinter 5th wheels made'.

I just did this for Keystone Cougar 5th wheels and learned they use OSB on both the floor and roof.

And are you set on a 5th wheel or can you make due with a travel trailer. A travel trailer will be easier to heat and cool I think because you have less space.

I would look for an 2005 - 2008 NuWa, Carriage or Excel.

I would also consider a travel trailer from Flagstaff or Rockwood.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 04:42 PM   #4

Excel, Nuwa, artic fox, carriage, Excel TT winslow if can find one. Need more truck to carry a teton. A SRW 350 wont cut it. unless you go with a teton sunrise 33ft. even that your at the max. your looking at 5k pon weight easy on something bigger. I found out on the scales.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 07:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolenut View Post
Excel, Nuwa, artic fox, carriage, Excel TT winslow if can find one. Need more truck to carry a teton.
Agree all these consolenut mentioned would be good full timer 5th wheels and you would be able to find one in your price range. I'm partial to Carriage but I guess that's because we have a Lifestyle.

Best of luck to you on your search
jlsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:36 PM   #6

Consider the NuWa

And i know where there is one that needs a good owner. We traded ours in last year on a newer NuWa Champagne.

Let me know if you would like the particulars. I can share the URL for where it is listed - back in Kansas where they were manufactured.

We loved it and you will also.
touringmn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel