Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2012, 07:10 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
I have actually found 5th wheels more difficult to backup than a TT. They are less forgiving.
In some ways a 5er can be put where you would never gt a TT. It is a matter of getting use to the 5er and it characteristics.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2012, 03:01 PM   #30

We just went from a 2006 Southwind 32' mh and 2009 Buick Enclave to a 2009 Chevy Duramax and a 2010 Sabre 30' fiver. After all was said and done, our new rig cost about $20,000 less than what we got for the old. We also went from 6-7 mpg to 12-13 mpg towing. The Buick got about 22 mpg on the highway and 15 in town. The truck gets 22 on the highway and 14 in town. Our insurance dropped over $600 per year. The truck is quist and smooth riding compared to the mh, and nearly as quiet as the Buick. The truck pulls smoothly up nearly any grade, while the mh would bog down, and shift down with the engine screaming, unless I slowed way down. I think set up time is a little less with the fiver because of the time it takes to hook up the car, set up the brake buddy, etc.

On the negative side, the fiver is harder to back up, unless you need to unhook the car from the mh first. Also, wife could use the potty or fix lunch in the mh. the fiver seems to be a little lighter built, but I don't know if that is a problem. The car was easier to park at Wally World.

For now I am happy with the fiver. Only time will tell. We are heading out for 3 months in January. I figure we will save $2-3,000 in fuel costs on this one trip alone.
jrshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:51 PM   #31

Mid Atlantic Campers
OK Y'all

This is my ideal way to travel. We have a 41' very nice toy hauler and I love my F350 KR but on long trips my a$$ can get tired so I am looking for a 12 to 14' toter home, we will have the amenities of the MH while traveling and the living space we love with our toy hauler and when moms along she will have her own rig.

Sound good? oh yea
soundman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:29 PM   #32

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I don't think there is a right and wrong answer to this one. It depends on your likes and needs and what you are comfortable with. As far as the getting up and moving around in the motorhome, this is dangerous, and maybe against the law(seatbelt issues). I am not for or against, because it is a personal choice. I have had 2 truck campers, 2 motorhomes and 2 5ers, and I like the 5er better, but that is my personal choice.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:15 PM   #33

Drive a few As, tow a few 5-ers. It will become evident
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:20 PM   #34

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Drive a few As, tow a few 5-ers. It will become evident
Huh?
soundman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:34 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Jayco Owners Club
I currently own a 38 foot motorhome and will be getting a new/used Duramax and fifth wheel soon. The motorhome is great when it does not need maintenance of some kind. we have only put about 250 miles on it and camped with it there or four times and the expenses are costly. Here are a few costs I have encountered in the past nine months. Had a brake failure where the caliper froze causing brake to drag and cost about $1,800 to repair. The brakes are hydraulic like a car or truck but I should have bought one with air brakes. The generator is a built in diesel that needs oil, water, fuel and air filter maintenance at a cost of a couple hundred dollars until it gets about a 1,000 hours then it cost about 1,000 dollars to get it serviced with removal and reinstallation, a belt change and valve adjustment, oil, fuel, air filters and fluids, antifreeze replacement. I have been upgrading this motorhome to suit our needs, new carpet, fix the plumbing leak, fix the floor and more and I really like the convenience but hate the maintenance cost. Two fuel filters have to be changed often on the engine and the oil with a new filter where it takes about 19 quarts of oil and that costs about $250 which includes lubrication of the chassis usually on an annual basis depending on milage driven. I have to fight the steering wheel to keep it on the road sometime in heavy winds but for about $1,200 I can add a steering stabilizer which will help. Tires are changed every 5 years to be safe and that is six tires $2,500 to $3,500. If that diesel engine or allison transmission breaks down on the highway and I cannot fix it then the towing charge is $400 up to $2,500 depending on whether it is a tow truck or fly bed truck towing the motorhome. I have insurance but they only covered half the cost of the brake repair. I remember an old saying that the HD in Harley Davidson means a hundred dollars but nothing on the motorhome is less than 400 up to 2,000 dollars. There are costs involved in a fifth wheel also but I can do all the work on the fifth wheel. So for us it is best to get a fifth wheel. I will retire soon and will not drive more than 8 hours max a day, intend to stay from a couple days to a couple months at the same place to discover America. If you have plenty of money then a motorhome is the way to go but a truck and fifth wheel is for me. As others have said it is up to you to determine what is right for you and the best advice I can give to you is DO NOT BELIEVE everything your sales person tells you like I did.
w2drfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:08 AM   #36

Wow, ksmith, sounds like you have not had a very good experience with your motor home. By the way, the cost of the tires is probably more like $5K. It does cost money to do what we do, no matter if it is a DP or a 5ver. Many of those expenses you talked about apply to a 5ver with a genny and a diesel tow vehicle. May be easier for you to work on yourself, but don't think that applies to most folks. Also, Coachnet tows my motorhome and my cars so don't have that expense and would not travel without it.

That being said, if my plans were to do what you state, to go somewhere and spend a few months I would probably get a 5ver. Not for the reasons you stated but because if you are not traveling much, you do get more living space for your money from a 5ver. For us, a motorhome was a better choice right now.
Dan DeBruin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome