Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2015, 01:06 PM   #1

5th Wheel suggestion to fit budget?

So we want to upgrade from our current TT to a 5th Wheel (30-34'), but are having a hard time finding one that fits our budget.

I've seen in several spots that generally you can get 30-35% off of MSRP, however sales must be really good because it doesn't appear many dealers are moving much on price.

Our current budget is about 35-40k. I know this doesn't fit with a lot of the 5th Wheels I see discussed here, but we aren't looking to full time it.

We really like the Open Range's (337RLS), Grand Design Reflection (303RLS), but these are both currently too high in MSRP.

I know the Keystone Cougars can be acquired in our price range, but we aren't keen on their customer service and would rather stay away from them.

Any suggestions for what else to look for in WA wold be appreciated.
unitlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2015, 02:02 PM   #2

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forget new and look for used that will fill your needs and not go over your budget. After my wife had decided that a 5th wheel was what she wanted, we looked over floor plans and what dealers had available online. Any decent dealer will have floor plans and loads of photos for each unit they've got in inventory. I printed out listings for units we wanted to look at and we went to three different dealers. The one we bought was perfect for both of us at first glance ('10 38' 3665RE Montana, Hickory edition) and we bought it three years ago for $38k after some haggling and two different inspections. We've not had any problems from manufacturing or the previous owners. Just goes to show how much depreciation there is in only a couple of years.
Old 10-14-2015, 03:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Bennett View Post
Forget new and look for used that will fill your needs and not go over your budget. After my wife had decided that a 5th wheel was what she wanted, we looked over floor plans and what dealers had available online. Any decent dealer will have floor plans and loads of photos for each unit they've got in inventory. I printed out listings for units we wanted to look at and we went to three different dealers. The one we bought was perfect for both of us at first glance ('10 38' 3665RE Montana, Hickory edition) and we bought it three years ago for $38k after some haggling and two different inspections. We've not had any problems from manufacturing or the previous owners. Just goes to show how much depreciation there is in only a couple of years.
We are starting to look at used ones now. Trying to stick between 2013-2015 currently.
Old 10-14-2015, 03:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitlink View Post
So we want to upgrade from our current TT to a 5th Wheel (30-34'), but are having a hard time finding one that fits our budget.

I've seen in several spots that generally you can get 30-35% off of MSRP, however sales must be really good because it doesn't appear many dealers are moving much on price.

Our current budget is about 35-40k. I know this doesn't fit with a lot of the 5th Wheels I see discussed here, but we aren't looking to full time it.

We really like the Open Range's (337RLS), Grand Design Reflection (303RLS), but these are both currently too high in MSRP.

I know the Keystone Cougars can be acquired in our price range, but we aren't keen on their customer service and would rather stay away from them.

Any suggestions for what else to look for in WA wold be appreciated.
We are trying to do the same. We are looking for used 2011 and up but under $35K. I'm having a hard time understanding where each make/model fits in the quality department. I like Montana and Big Country but then we need to be closer to 2011 to be within our price range. Trying to stay under 35' as well.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:37 PM   #5

If you order the RV NADA guide that will show you approx. what the dealer paid as a trade in value. I had a trailer to trade up to a larger one and the dealer gave me the exact value from the NADA guide.

You should be able to buy a nice used rig for 25k to 35k.

Good luck
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
If you order the RV NADA guide that will show you approx. what the dealer paid as a trade in value. I had a trailer to trade up to a larger one and the dealer gave me the exact value from the NADA guide.

You should be able to buy a nice used rig for 25k to 35k.

Good luck
I will have to take a look at that. Currently our trailer is on consignment and we are able to grab it anytime we need to if needed for trade-in.

Guess right now it will be a waiting game for the right 5th Wheel to come up with a floor plan we like. It seems even some of the 2013-2014's are highly priced currently.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:59 AM   #7

Do you ever check RVTrader.com for pricing and available units?

Also, PPLMotorhomes.com

These two sites have a world of informaition about what current used pricing is like.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Do you ever check RVTrader.com for pricing and available units?

Also, PPLMotorhomes.com

These two sites have a world of informaition about what current used pricing is like.

Yes, I have RVTrader.com open and checked every day. I did not know about PPLMotorhomes.com however, I will take a look at that site.

Unfortunately some dealers refuse to post any price at all.

With used units is the reputation of a dealer as important vs when buying a new unit? I'm guessing not as much since there is no warranty involved at that point.
Old 10-15-2015, 08:33 AM   #9

You are on your own as to whether the dealer has examined/corrected anything wrong with the unit--some do, most give lip service to what they have done to a used unit. But, those dealers do the same with a new one...

Your best bet is to look at several/many as you can--soon enough, you will become cognizant of a good unit when you see one. Having some pricing from the internet will help to figure out if it is a good deal. Having a trade-in may be a disadvantage, as the dealer will have to make money on yours when he sells it.

Don't know how handy you are, but check out crankyape.com to see what is at auction there--some very interesting units go across their sales lots, but may not be near you to look at first.

Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:38 PM   #10

Elkridge by Heartland is what we bought and it's really nice and in your price range. Good Luck in your search, Dawn
ibdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 07:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibdawn View Post
Elkridge by Heartland is what we bought and it's really nice and in your price range. Good Luck in your search, Dawn
We were looking at a 29rksa when we first starting looking, but at the time we weren't ready to purchase one. Apparently they don't make that particular model anymore.

The search continues, thank you.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:19 AM   #12

X2 on the Elkridge. Very nice unit for the money. We looked at them before we decided on our Gateway.
justafordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:19 AM   #13

We purchased a new Shasta Phoenix 32RE in March of this year and traveled 389 miles from home to get it. MSRP on this unit was 53k and we were able to get it for well under your high budget number. It was a 2014 leftover and you may be able to do the same with a 2015. The unit has great fit and finish with many details you would be surprised to see at this price point. So far we have spent 57 nights in it and absolutely love it! Check RV Trader for a dealer near you. I promise you will not be disappointed. No, I do not work for Shasta lol.

Just noticed there is a 2016 in Colton, CA on rv trader for under 47k. I bet with some arm twisting you could get real close to your 40k top end. Worth a shot and certainly worth the trip.
Clicker1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:55 AM   #14

Be open minded, we purchased a 2003 Holiday Rambler Presidential 34 ft 5th wheel. Has never been turned down in any park due to age. Holiday Rambler made a great Rv. I bought for 13,900 and have never had any issues with it. We are going to buy a bigger 5th wheel soon but would never buy one brand new. Hope to buy one 5 or less years next time but has been great.
Brad
Bradrvguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel