Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2016, 09:53 PM   #1

5th Wheel tire pressure sensors

I have had several close calls with tires wearing out on my RV while traveling. I'm looking to ask if anyone has used Tire minder units for sensors on tires while driving or the TSL sensors looking to purchase would like to hear from other RV'ers that have placed on 5th Wheels or other trailers that don't have them. Please let me know
DJandHAN2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2016, 10:15 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJandHAN2003 View Post
I have had several close calls with tires wearing out on my RV while traveling. I'm looking to ask if anyone has used Tire minder units for sensors on tires while driving or the TSL sensors looking to purchase would like to hear from other RV'ers that have placed on 5th Wheels or other trailers that don't have them. Please let me know

We use a TST507 with sensors on the truck,trailer(s) and spares. The spares are hung up in the underbelly on the truck and 5th. Having sensor on the spares saves crawling under there to check the pressures.

jtbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 07:11 PM   #3

So when u purchased the TST 507 is there anything else I need to know. What I'm looking for is something that will let me know in advance I was driving with a blown tire for 20 miles or so before someone came up behind me and flagged me down. So will the 507 have a alarm. And who has the TST 507 for sale??
Old 11-28-2016, 05:47 AM   #4

I have the Tireminder system and it has saved me from a front wheel blow out when I had my motorhome. Now with a 5th. wheel I use them also. The monitor will tell me if a tire is loosing pressure slowly or rapidly with a visual and audio alert.
I highly recommend any type of tire pressure monitoring system, it's for peace of mind while traveling. No more "surprise" tire pressure problems.
Do an internet search for the different brands and make your choice.
FredWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 09:40 AM   #5

Found a system that should give me peace of mind while on my travels. The EEZ RV T515 I did some research and it seemed to be the better way to go thanks to everyone comments thanks I will comment later on how this product worked out
Old 11-28-2016, 10:38 AM   #6

Wearing Out?

The words wearing out sends off alarm bells. If tires are wearing out prematurely then I would be suspicious of other axle problems which point to alignment problems. Might be worth checking - truck/trailer shops can align or check alignment of axles if you think it's worth it.
Highly recommend any type of tire monitor, they aren't cheap but it's an additional peace of mind while traveling.
Westwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 07:14 PM   #7

Have TST 507 and am very happy with them. Bought them for peace of mind.
Had one flat before buying and tire went down slow and I didn't know it till it was to late.
DannyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 07:40 PM   #8

Happy with TST

I have the TST 507 on my toyhauler and I am happy with it. If you look at the sites, I think all of the systems will monitor pressure and temperature. You set the maximum and minimum pressures. They give you a suggested temp high limit. As the weather cooled, I did get a low pressure on one tire but it was still just under 70 psi. If you take a sensor off, it takes about 3 seconds for the monitor to let you know. Overall, the ability to always know what the pressure in each tire gives you peace of mind. Well worth a few hundred dollars.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:14 AM   #9

I use a locking system that goes between my wheels when we are parked it cranks down between both tires and I do this on both sides when we're parked. Do you think that will throw the axles out of alignment.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:03 PM   #10

What is the 'locking system' that you are using? When you say 'crank down' do you actually mean that or do you use a wrench to tighten a chock between the wheels?
Using any type of chock/block between the wheels should have no effect on the axle alignment, and you probably only need one side locked unless on a really unlevel site.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 05:19 AM   #11

I use the TST system because it monitors both tire pressure & temperature.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:02 AM   #12

Check

I don't want to send you on a wild goose chase but sometime when you have pulled truck and trailer forward and your on a flat surface, (Walmart Parking Lot) take a tape measure and just check the distance between tires on each side and maybe front jack back to center of hubs on each wheel. That should give you a rough idea of axle alignment. Also check the axle shackles and anything to d with the axle attachment to the frame.
I've been told that we should do this sort of thing at least twice a year or when we feel we have traveled over heavily pot holed roads. Do I do it? No but I've never had tires wear out, dry out after hitting the 5 year mark but never wear out. Hope I've helped.
I do highly recommend the expense of purchasing tire monitors.
Westwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:21 AM   #13

Once when lifting my trailer with 6 point leveling, the shackle on one side of rear axle flipped on me. That would have definitely caused wear out had it went unnoticed. Before measuring, make sure everything just looks right and both sides match.
Old 12-11-2016, 04:49 PM   #14

Just a note; if you do not have them, install metal valve stems.
219RKS Idle Time 5th Wheel, Outfitter Apex-8 Truck Camper, 2012 Ford F250 Lariat 6.2 gas e/w Air Lift Load Lifter 5000. We have visited all 50 states and all of the Canadian Provinces & seen all 5 of the Great Lakes since retiring in 1994.
magic43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, tire pressure