Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2006, 02:32 PM   #15

inacreek,
$527 including FL sales tax, out the door (40+ pounds). I have not installed them yet as I need to replace one of the scissors jacks that somehow got bent
I'm off to Camping World tomorrow before the sale on jacks ends

Carri -- '05 Carri-Lite 36KSQ
Dualy Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2006, 07:16 PM   #16

Heartland RV Club
I tried the tripod and did not like it because of the bulk, weight and room to store it. I mounted a pair of sissor jacks just in front of the axles. Just do regular set up and level of trailer and then crank the center jacks down and take a little load on them. It takes the spring out of the frame and away from the springs on the axles. You can try it with a couple of bottle jacks. If you mount jacks to frame, just make sure you don't have any wiring or plumbing in the way.
Old 04-23-2006, 04:49 PM   #17

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bushman512003:
***Or buy the sign about if the trailer is rocking don't come knocking Bushman </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
My brother told us to hang a cow bell on the kingpin.

we do like the tripod

2001½ QC Dodge CTD, 4x4, auto, short box, Stull running boards, SS bug deflectors. Husky 5er slider hitch.
jefff929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 05:40 AM   #18

I have a tri-pod and wont go with out it.

The big thing to look for here is, the legs of the tri-pod MUST extend to the king pin, these units work well. The style of tri-pod that has a screw/threaded height adjustment, don't work well as this single piece will surely lift the king pin up but will not stop motion laterally (hope I made sence).
gearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 10:13 AM   #19

The JTRV stabilizers were installed a month or so ago. Installation was straight forward, 2 or 3 hours on my back under the coach.
The parts are very high quality--well made, finished and fit well. They make the coach "rock solid" in the driveway but we've not been out for a real test. The old V-brace won't be going with us anymore.
Dave

Old 06-11-2006, 10:42 AM   #20

The Tripods help a lot if you set them up right. I have a cheap one that is adjusted by lowering the
front landing gear to put a little of the weight on the Tripod.
We have the Splendide washer dryer combination unit in our front closet right over the pin and the tripod makes a world of difference when that machine is in the spin cycle. I would not be without one.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:38 PM   #21

I have one and was not certain that it helped. We are currently parked on the side of a hill where the pin is so high off the ground that my tripod can not be used. The trailer is very loose and the lighest movement in the rig sets off vibration. I now know my tripod helps.
Retired Navy. 2001 Quad Cab 2500 Auto w/4:10 rear end. PRXB Pac Brake. Miller Manufacturing Truck Bed Cover and Rigged to tow a 1995 29' Automate 5th wheel with 1 slide out
cwsoules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 01:56 PM   #22

we have a tripod and have noticed that a big difference can be found based on the distance apart of the legs.

I intend to try and block the legs up next time to help get them wider.

I am looking into a better chock system than what I use now. But, it needs to wait until my next trip to the states (camping world).

03 Ram 3500, CTD, Crew Cab, 4X4, DRW, 6 spd, pacbrake, aFe stage 1 mega cannon with Torq tube.
The Big Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 02:22 PM   #23

I use one. I have for the past 4 years. I usually pull the chain and shorten the spread of the feet. It works better that way. Once I have some weight on it, I adjust the rear jacks tight.

I then come up on the landing gear just a little. That sticks the rears good. I use the round bar to finish the tripod.

My biggest problem is the soft tires I have on the trailer. Carriage deceided to put Load Range D tires (65psi Max) on a 14,000+lbs GVW trailer. Rediculous.

I will change them out soon with some Load Range
E tires which will help some of my left and right movement.

One other thing, since were talking about support items. I recently purchased a single leg support for the entrance steps. Set up under the second step, it makes a huge difference in movement when a person enters the trailer.

Dave
Old 06-22-2006, 12:50 PM   #24

Dave,
I'm surprised Carriage put load range D tires on your rig. Ours weighs about #1000 more, has "G" rated tires (110psi).
We're happy with everything on our Carriage.
Dave

Old 06-22-2006, 04:37 PM   #25
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CoastalDav:

My biggest problem is the soft tires I have on the trailer. Carriage deceided to put Load Range D tires (65psi Max) on a 14,000+lbs GVW trailer. Rediculous.

I will change them out soon with some Load Range
E tires which will help some of my left and right movement.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dave,

You might want to take a look at your load range 'D' tires and see if they're rated at 3,000# at 65# PSI. I know Goodyear Marathon has a ST235/80R16 tire rated for that weight.

If that's the tire you have it should be strong enough for your 14,000 GVW assuming at least 2,000# is on the pin

The rating on an 'E' rated LT235/85R16 tire is 3,084# which may not be a whole lot more than what you have now.

Check it out.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:32 AM   #26

The tires are rated at 3000psi. I've heard prior to that, these tires were rated at 2750lbs and were up graded to the 3000 psi rating. (Marathon Tire)

Its my opinion that this is the reason for so many failures with these tires with sidewall bubbles and blowout thru the sidewall. There is no safety margin at full load with these tires.
A couple hard bounces when the road is 140 degrees down here will result in that type failure.

I got up and down with Carriage about these tires. They pointed me to Goodyear. They just blew it off. The next model year, 2006, my trailer comes with a load range E tire rated at 3450lbs.

It's still an off brand but at least the sidewalls are stronger and its rating offers some safety factor at full load. (Towmax by Power King)

I called Carriage when I saw that. They had no comment. Whats really disturbing is the GVW label on the trailer indicates the trailer is supposed to have Load Range D tires.

Were going to change them out before I have a problem.

Dave
Old 06-02-2007, 07:17 PM   #27

Hello to all. I am new to this site and fifth wheeling. We are in the process of tearing down our house and building a new one. My wife and I bought a 2003 39.5' Jazz by Thor 5ver to live in temporarily. It is in great shape and will be keeping it after the house is built. We are avid sportfishers and will be parking it near the Washington Coast when fishing.

I was looking at the tripods for stabilizing and saw this. It looks like it might work better but has anyone tried it. It braces the pinbox to the feet of the front lift legs. Anyone tried it?

Thanks in advance. Awesome site.
Ron Garner

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-Browse/s-...11+600017524/c-10107
Fishnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 04:51 PM   #28

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fishnut:
Hello to all. I am new to this site and fifth wheeling. We are in the process of tearing down our house and building a new one. My wife and I bought a 2003 39.5' Jazz by Thor 5ver to live in temporarily. It is in great shape and will be keeping it after the house is built. We are avid sportfishers and will be parking it near the Washington Coast when fishing.

I was looking at the tripods for stabilizing and saw this. It looks like it might work better but has anyone tried it. It braces the pinbox to the feet of the front lift legs. Anyone tried it?

Thanks in advance. Awesome site.
Ron Garner

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-Browse/s-...11+600017524/c-10107 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think this is an interesting concept. I would like some feed back on these. I will say, I'm using a tri-pod now and like it. Wife made a tube type carrying case for it with draw ropes on the ends, and we just lay the tri-pod stored in a clean carrying case on the couch for travel.
Jim

SPELL CHECK By IeSpell; Its free and it works.
JimmyDee is offline   Reply With Quote