Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2020, 03:01 PM   #1

5th Wheel vs. Class A

Have any of you 5th Wheel owners previously owned a Class A and switched to 5th Wheel and if so, why? My husband and I are considering purchasing a 40 ft. Thank you in advance for sharing your experience.
Hiker57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2020, 03:17 PM   #2

Here are our reasons for going with a 5th wheel. We planned on spending time in one spot often. We found the 5th wheel to have a layout more to our liking. Lastly if I need work I can find a Chevy/ GMC dealer pretty much anywhere.
gmacecsko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 03:40 PM   #3

thank you for Class A, 5th wheel info

thank you for sharing your experience, we appreciate it!!
Hiker57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 05:01 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
We've had both. Went from a 37 ft motorhome to a 42 ft fiver. We full time and the difference in interior room is tremendous. Both had/have three slides, two of which are opposing but the you loose a few feet of usable living space in the motorhome because of the drivers compartment. I thought that I would loose lots of outside storage when going to the fiver but I really found out I was hauling way to much stuff. Truth be told>>>>I really wanted a truck again!
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:44 PM   #5

We just switched this summer. We love the extra space and cost. I went back and forth for over a year and researched all the pro and cons. I wished I had switched earlier as life changes we may switch to something else down the road!
Massanutten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:16 PM   #6

Up until current production of the class A gas motorhome they where not fun to drive. The 2021 Ford Chassis has been improved to handle a lot better thus making more viable vs a 5th wheel pulled by a diesel truck.

A nice diesel truck will cost 80k and a nice 5th wheel will cost 80k or more. That 160k will buy a nice Class A motorhome and still have 20k left over.

The new 7.3 Godzilla engine and new chassis tuning of the F-53 improve the Class A gas motorhomes.

On the other side you have the modern diesel truck pulling a 5th wheel. This is not a bad way to travel as the new trucks are solid and tow great. 5th wheels offer side to side living with comfort close to a house.

I was very happy towing a 5th wheel with my diesel truck. My friends were not happy driving a 2016 class 'A' gas motorhome and only kept it 2 years. They did not like the way it drove. (A 2021 will drive a lot nicer)

A class 'A' diesel pusher cost so much more that to me the math does not work. It has been awhile since I priced DP's but I think they are 250k to 300k.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:39 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
We enjoy the journey as much as the destination. So, the drive has to be rewarding. We found that in a DP. We had owner fifth wheel. We prefer the travel and experience of a DP. If you buy quality, the ride will be nice. Like what was said earlier, if you are sitting at one locale for months on end, the fifth wheel makes better sense to me. That’s not us. We explore. Good luck and all the best!
Old 08-14-2020, 08:44 PM   #8

We just switched from a 42.5 DP to a 41’ 5th wheel. Maintenance cost, registration and insurance were the driving factors beyond all else. We already owned a HD diesel truck so that was neutral in the cost equation. Over 10 years ownership of the DP we averaged around $5k per year in cost all in to keep it road worthy and compliant. We expect cost of the 5th wheel to be under $1k per year. Keep in mind in MI annual registration for a 15 yr old DP with MSRP of $330k is over $1k. The 5th wheel was $300 one time for as long as you own it!

We miss being able to stop for lunch in the rain and not leave the coach. Also, driving a big pickup vs a Honda CRV away from the campground is an adjustment.

We like the extra room in a 5th wheel at equivalent length. Set up and tear down is neutral between the two when you have a tow car behind the DP. I’m sure some will argue this but I find driving MUCH more relaxing in the truck compared to the DP. I can one hand drive with cruise set at 68 all day long. The DP was two hands constantly correcting and tiring at 62.

I’m sure as time goes on there will be more things missed in the DP but we’re extremely happy with the change.
Old 08-14-2020, 08:46 PM   #9

We loved travel in our DP. We love stationary in our fifth wheel. I like the fact that I can repair most everything in the 5er. The DP started at $500 and went up from there every time something quit working. If you travel daily go for the DP, if you stay put for a week or so you like the livability of the fifth wheel better. I know there some very nice gas motorhomes out there, but for us the travel experience in them was lacking.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 09:44 PM   #10
JDT

We've had fifth wheels, a gas motor home and a diesel pusher. Cost drove us back to a fifth wheel, not just initial cost but also maintenance as some have mentioned. I had to drive 100 plus miles to get work done on the dp but a Ford dealer is 10 minutes from my house. Most things I can handle on the fifth wheel myself. With auto level and a good hitch set up and take down is a wash when comparing a fifth wheel hook up vs a motor home and toad.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 09:54 PM   #11

We have a similar story to those above:
1. Maintenance - a pickup is a whale of a lot easier to service (or get serviced) and less costly.
2. Upgrade - one can upgrade either the trailer or the coach individually. Try doing that with a class A
Old 08-15-2020, 08:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jay View Post
2. Upgrade - one can upgrade either the trailer tow vehicle or the coach individually. Try doing that with a class A
Oops
Old 08-15-2020, 01:32 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Yes, I’ve owned a 5er and about every other type of RV... still have a F350 that I use for work. Yes, a 40’ (or longer) DP is the nicest and most expensive RV to see North America, especially if you buy new and are not handy. Over 20 years of DP ownership, my annual out of pocket cost is usually $2K/year but only once have I taken one to a RV repair place. The big # is depreciation so buying a older top of the line DP saves a bunch... sales tax, tag, insurance. I did have to pay a $10K one time sales/use tax on my “new” DP unlike previous rigs which were $0... change in the law.

Guessing the OP is 63 years old so my criteria of needing to use a DP 100+ days/year is probably met. Even better if you are half timers like us. It’s a good thing you can just replace a trailer as most develop leaks causing delamination and eventually structural failure. Son bought a higher end 5er with aluminum side wall studs BUT the entire back was soft wood that rotted out...buyer be warned.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 07:22 AM   #14

Depends on how you travel and where you go. I recently sold a high quality DP to go back to a 5th wheel toy hauler. I wanted to take my motorcycle with me again and I didn't want it hanging off the back of the DP getting destroyed by the elements. Yes I did that a while. With the toy hauler there are sacrifices in living space but for me a gain in "toy" security and condition. No one answer will work for all.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, class a