Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2018, 11:05 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Travel trailers are better for those with mobility problems--not having to climb those extra 3 tall steps to get up to the front bedroom/bath.

But they don't pull nearly as well as the fifth wheel. When any heavy truck passes someone towing a travel trailer, real fear can come into their hearts watching that monster swaying in your rear view mirror. The really first class equalizing hitches with stabilizers can be quite expensive. Travel trailers are also more difficult to hitch and unhitch vs. a fifth wheel.

Many travel trailers live their lives in campgrounds and in storage. They are not necessarily towed very far. A travel trailer is perfect for those uses.
So TT's are just for weekend use and 5th wheels are for extended stay on longer trips? Hmm, never heard that before.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2018, 04:56 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
So TT's are just for weekend use and 5th wheels are for extended stay on longer trips? Hmm, never heard that before.
IMO the 5'er would be better for weekend use more than the tt. The larger tt that stays parked wouldn't be bad. If you are pulling your camper 3-4 weekends a month I would take the 5er over the tt EVERY time.
Scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:01 PM   #31

Interesting - no one mentions (apologies if I just missed it) the differences in backing a bumper pull vs a Fiver into a camp space.
I've had both bumper pulls (toy hauler and travel trailer) and fifth wheels, and I can back a bumper pull into a tight space SO much easier than a Fiver.
But that could be just a "thing" with me - not sure. I have a 43 ft DP also, and can back that into a space six inches wider than it is, without issue - so I'd take it over anything else if backing is the primary consideration.
For me, the Fiver does tow easier - specifically less side-to-side wander - and I have a good weight distributing hitch for the bumper pulls. And for storage and interior space (my Fiver is a six slide unit), the Fiver again wins the Bumper-Pull-vs-Fiver competition.
BTW - the worst thing is to spend a boatload of money on a DP, only to have that motor and tranny and rear diff sitting still in a campground for many months. Either a Bumper Pull or a Fiver is better if you're going to stay in the same place for extended periods - and for me, for weekends I'll take the Bumper Pull anytime, but the Fiver is the best for a long trip to some place I'll park it and leave it for months.
JMHO...
Durango382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:53 PM   #32

Fiver all the way!!!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:23 PM   #33

The TT vs. 5er debate will go on forever. The fact is that if you want to pull a big TT you need a bigger truck than you would for an equal size 5er. A truck and TT combo will have way more storage capacity. Also, a TT will follow the truck much better in tight turns. Try driving around in some of the Walmart parking lots with a 5er and see how many curbs the trailer runs over. Not so good for the tires. If you want to use your truck for something other than carrying around a hitch get a TT. My last TT was an Excel that weighed 15K and it towed just fine with my Dodge 5500. I'm full time now and my New Horizons TT (38' OAL) weighs 24K and I pull it with a Freightliner M2, no problem and lots of storage. Get what works best for how you travel. Most of all the TT scare stories are from people that were not towing properly and mostly with too small of a truck. The reason 5ers are so popular is that you can tow them with a smaller less expensive truck.
MoDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:04 PM   #34

There are advantages to both. Floorplan, tank capacity, autolevel etc. resulted in a fifth wheel being the best choice for us this time around. I've owned a lot of different TT's and never had issues towing any of them, don't know if I was just lucky, or if it was having learned how to set them up properly for towing at an early age. I'm in the camp that prefers backing up trailers better than 5ers, and much prefer how a trailer tracks in corners. Tail swing, towing in the wind, and for the most part the ride on the hwy tends to be more preferable with the 5er. In the end, there are always compromises and you just go with what works best for you and what you want to do.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:16 PM   #35

Our 5th is 7' longer than the bumper pull we had but our overall tow length is the same.
ALLOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:24 PM   #36

Quote:
One more advantage of a 5er over a TT is after hitched up you can walk between them very easy. If you have a TT you have to climb over the tongue every time you want to get to the other side. Might not seem like a big dill until you've had a 5er and then realize it.
Tall poeple like me are counting the lumps on our head
ALLOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:14 PM   #37

I have towed both over the years. No comparison. My larger and beaver 5ers pulled so much better. So much easier to park. I now have a motor home for other reasons but the 5er was the best. Not meaning to step on anyone’s toes just mhm.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:15 PM   #38

Not beaver but bigger
Old 11-08-2018, 10:54 PM   #39

Quote:
I would never buy a 38' TT. Of course I'm in Oregon and towing is different than in FL, where things are wide open. I couldn't get into half the CG's I camp in with a 38' TT and a 22' truck. Thats 60' OAL. I can get the same amount of living space in a 35' 5er and because of the overhang front on the 5th the whole OAL would be 53'. Still long for the CG's we camp in. But way more manageable.
If you like to tow out on wide open roads and stay in RV parks then it would work.
If you like to camp out in nature then it won't work.
Nobody ever "camped out in nature" with a 35 foot 5th wheel.
Smokey3214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:16 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango382 View Post
Interesting - no one mentions (apologies if I just missed it) the differences in backing a bumper pull vs a Fiver into a camp space.
I've had both bumper pulls (toy hauler and travel trailer) and fifth wheels, and I can back a bumper pull into a tight space SO much easier than a Fiver.
But that could be just a "thing" with me - not sure. I have a 43 ft DP also, and can back that into a space six inches wider than it is, without issue - so I'd take it over anything else if backing is the primary consideration.
For me, the Fiver does tow easier - specifically less side-to-side wander - and I have a good weight distributing hitch for the bumper pulls. And for storage and interior space (my Fiver is a six slide unit), the Fiver again wins the Bumper-Pull-vs-Fiver competition.
BTW - the worst thing is to spend a boatload of money on a DP, only to have that motor and tranny and rear diff sitting still in a campground for many months. Either a Bumper Pull or a Fiver is better if you're going to stay in the same place for extended periods - and for me, for weekends I'll take the Bumper Pull anytime, but the Fiver is the best for a long trip to some place I'll park it and leave it for months.
JMHO...
Why would you take a TT over a 5er for a weekend trip. Are referring to really long trailers or just the type?
We take our 28' 5er out for weekends all the time and find it much easier than when we had our 31' TT. Every things all loaded in the 5er vs having to load the truck bed up with stuff that won't go in the TT's storage then unload it at home again. Hitching is also much easier with the 5er since I leave my 5th hitch in all summer. Just back up and go. No up and down attaching spring bar stuff. Once you're at the CG they're the same.
Each to his own I guess.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:19 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey3214 View Post
Nobody ever "camped out in nature" with a 35 foot 5th wheel.
I see 35' 5th wheels all the time in many of the FS CG's we go to. I'm not talking about boondocking. I'm talking about forest service CG's.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:30 AM   #42

Quote:
Why would you take a TT over a 5er for a weekend trip. Are referring to really long trailers or just the type?
We take our 28' 5er out for weekends all the time and find it much easier than when we had our 31' TT. Every things all loaded in the 5er vs having to load the truck bed up with stuff that won't go in the TT's storage then unload it at home again. Hitching is also much easier with the 5er since I leave my 5th hitch in all summer. Just back up and go. No up and down attaching spring bar stuff. Once you're at the CG they're the same.
Each to his own I guess.
I've had both TT and Fivers. To each his own, however for us it's Fiver all the way...no contest!!!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, trailer, travel, travel trailer