Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2016, 06:14 PM   #1

5th Wheelers trying to Kill Me???

Ok, I've had it. Today I was run off the road once (onto the small shoulder) and nearly off twice by 5th wheels tracking well over the center line. These events occurred while I was driving north between Yellowstone National Park south entry and the Grant area. Much of this area consists of narrow very winding roads with no shoulder. These conditions are admittedly demanding for a driver towing a behemoth 5th wheel. A few of the left curves require tow vehicle tires to be snugged up right to the fog line. If you are afraid to do that you should stay on the interstate or get a rig you can handle.

I know, I know, it is not just drivers towing 5th wheels who crowd left turns but they are the ones who do not seem to recognize when they have done so. The vast majority of other drivers quickly dodge back where they belong upon seeing oncoming traffic. It seems to me that too many folks purchasing today's extra large 5th wheels have no clue how far the rear of their rig tracks inside when cornering.
barrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2016, 06:21 PM   #2

Perhaps soon, special licensing will be required for all trailers over 10,000 Lbs. GVWR. Maybe that would weed out some of the poor drivers.
Air brake license, requirements are slowly spreading state to state and province to province.

But then again , my home province has both requirements and it doesn't seem to have helped.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:57 AM   #3

Must be the people that are always taking about "slowing down and enjoying the scenery." I prefer to focus on my driving... 😆
Old 06-09-2016, 12:02 AM   #4

Interesting point and disturbing observations.

Wonder if any of those haulers will read this thread, or even visit a board such as this?

Yeah, drive like you own your rig and not the road.

We all can devote more thought to safety and skills. Sorry you experienced that.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 12:07 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Air brake license requirements are slowly spreading state to state and province to province.
Not here in the US that I've seen or heard of.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:41 AM   #6

Barrys I agree. I've experienced distracted drivers on the interstate and other major highways. Jburg comment is right on. Drivers need to focus on driving. My wife is the navigator, I'm the pilot.

I have my air break licence. Not sure that will fix bad drivers. With the technology in new vehicles, air/exhaust breaks are a great driving assist tool. Still need to understand when and how to use them control your rig.

My biggest concern still remains with overweight rigs and its safety implications. In Alberta, the Dept of Transport do not check or enforce weight limits. They state there are too many configurations in tow vehicles. Only time they will pull you over is if you are driving erratically.

i hate leaning on the horn..makes me feel bad. But now I do as maybe the other driver will adjust their driving habits.

And yet in Alberta, 5W insurance cost is relatively cheap. Based on DOT and insurance costs, it would appear RV related accidents are low risk.

Hopefully threads like this will help.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:19 AM   #7

Are you sure you weren't just panicking and a bit paranoid yourself since you were driving a big rig on narrow winding roads yourself?
Old 06-09-2016, 07:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurg View Post
Must be the people that are always taking about "slowing down and enjoying the scenery." I prefer to focus on my driving... 😆
When behind the wheel towing the wife and I go into "Defensive Combat Driving"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post

Why, and perhaps the more important question, how are you "towing the wife"? We want to know more.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:57 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
New drivers

When I was learning to drive my monster, I had a few truckers rudely pass me and one that used his legs and arms to say "get over".
I've been on several rural roads barely wider than my 8.5' wide RV plus mirrors and awnings, WITH NO SHOULDER, bad drop off. Scary.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post

My wifey is driving the jeep, so she acts as my pilot car. It's quite handy, as I just radio to her that it looks like I'll be needing to get over to pass soon, and then she clears the left lane for me. She also prevents traffic from screaming up beside me in situations like two-lane left turns. "Team Defensive Combat Driving" certainly makes things less nerve-racking on my end.

Attachment 129629
Old 06-09-2016, 10:44 AM   #12

"Air brake license requirements"

In the US, anyone can buy an 18 wheeler, set it up to meet rv specs, and then title it as an rv and go anywhere they want with just a regular drivers license. You generally won't see one marked as an rv pulling a regular 18 wheeler trailer but it could happen. Mostly, they are pulling very big 5'ers.

And anyone can buy any regular tow vehicle and any size 5'er or TT they want and hit the road. Safe or not. And knowing how to handle them or not.

There's just no way to make a law to control stupid, but not everyone driving them are stupid. Some are just inexperienced and not comfortable with the right side so close to the edge. Some might have a wife hollering at them to keep scooting to the left some more.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:54 AM   #13

Everytime I drive on US 550 between Durango & Montrose, doesn't matter whether I am Northbound or Southbound, someone in a motorhome is always crowding/cutting across the centerline causing me to have to swerve to avoid them.....tough to do when towing my 5vr.

If I can stay in my lane WHY can't those in motorhomes do the same.?
Sometimes you wonder if they are doing it on purpose.........
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:07 AM   #14

Don't blame fifth wheels. It's the commercial trucks and cars trying to run us all off the road
FaithBowls is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel