Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2011, 12:55 PM   #15

Maybe I will compile a list, down the line some.
rmalikone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2011, 08:50 PM   #16

a genset is excess weight unless you are going to do a lot of boondocking. make sure the cabinetry is solid wood as wrapped wood will tear over time with every day use. make sure the closets are deep enough for a hanger. we take a hanger with us and try it in the closet. air ride and pinbox is good if you are going to be moving a lot. if you are just going to a few places staying for longer periods, they may not be worth the money. no fireplace means more storage, no ice maker means more freezer space. eliminate unnecessary windows. the window in the end of some slides only allows you to look at the end of another slide. eliminate the hide a bed and put storage under the sofa. i know some of these items are indoors but they may be suggestions for DW. a water manifold is great. it allows you to shut off individual water lines. again if you are not doing much boondocking, don't invest in a lot of batteries. more batteries, more weight, more $. do go to the factories and see how they are built. we have been to several factories and it has definately changed our minds on some units.
rfhtlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:58 AM   #17

We are considering what we want from a full timing rig when we go back on the road, also. Here are our ponderings: Our Next Fulltiming Rig
Old 07-24-2011, 02:19 PM   #18

You might remember that you're not going to find all of the requirements you'd like to have in any trailer. That's why some of the guys are giving you Manufacturers that typically build an outstanding unit. I think I've found that generally speaking, the heavier the unit- the better it's made.
87_Fixr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:44 PM   #19

Texas Boomers Club
I agree the genset is not necessary unles you plan on doing a lot of boondocking. I got mine because I used to go to 4 NASCAR races per year. that quickly went to 1 due to ticket prices. Now that I am fulltime, we don't go to any at all. Since then, I can count the number of times, one time thru both hands, when I ran the generator out of necessity. I run it every month just to run it. I go out of my way to insure I get a campsite with electricity. We don't stay at truck stops anymore. I am lugging around 800 pounds for nothing.

Get a Honda portable generator if you feel a need to have one.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:24 AM   #20

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Star View Post
I agree the genset is not necessary unles you plan on doing a lot of boondocking. I got mine because I used to go to 4 NASCAR races per year. that quickly went to 1 due to ticket prices. Now that I am fulltime, we don't go to any at all. Since then, I can count the number of times, one time thru both hands, when I ran the generator out of necessity. I run it every month just to run it. I go out of my way to insure I get a campsite with electricity. We don't stay at truck stops anymore. I am lugging around 800 pounds for nothing.

Get a Honda portable generator if you feel a need to have one.
Even if you do plan to do some (or a lot of) boondocking, consider a good solar system instead of a generator. No fuel, no maintenance, no fumes, and QUIET. The only downside is that you won't be able to run your air conditioner, or electric water heater (if equipped). We can use the microwave, but it draws A LOT of power, so we limit use of the microwave for just a few minutes. Everything else, no problem. Initial cost will be higher than a pair of Honda EU2000 generators, but for me, the benefits of solar over generators far ourweigh the additional cost.
gdbontly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:24 PM   #21

OK, here's what I would (or did) look for:

Largest frame I could get.
High R value (need to verify with wall thickness, floor and roof height not just MFG's say so).
High Axle rating with matching tire rating (Michelin J rated or better).
Air ride axles and pin box.
Dual AC's.
Washer - separate vented dryer.
Large grey and black water tanks - heated (just in case).

Those are just my start list. Some that were considered: Excel, New Horizon, Cameo and of course, the DRV line up.
Palpatine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:48 PM   #22

Some little things to consider. Importance varies if you are a mover or a sitter..
1) Where is the toilet in relation to the black water tank drain? If it is on the far side, that can cause problems
2) How much drop/slope is there for the drains?
3) How much access is there to cabinets, the fridge, etc when it is pulled in?
4) How tight are the seals around the slides? Can you see light?
5) If cabinet doors pop open during travel, will they be crushed by the slides?
6) How many electrical outlets are there? Are they in the places you are going to need them?
7) What pieces are hidden from view? How hard is it to get at a leaky water pump or bad generator transfer switch?
8) How well distributed is the storage, front to back and side to side (our current unit is very front and left side heavy)?
jawildman is offline   Reply With Quote