Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2011, 12:20 PM   #1

5'ver for full-time - List

What would your list consist of if you were looking for a fifth wheel to full-time in? Mostly the construction side , because decor is my DW area. Some functions and size of refer etc. do belong on the list, but make those type of answers after construction.
rmalikone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2011, 12:26 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
I believe the DRV Suites (formerly Doubletree RV) product lines are worthy of your consideration. Construction details and other information on the Elite Suites, Mobile Suites and Select Suites (ordered from most to least expensive) can be found HERE.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:33 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Floorplans and appliances are certainly important and must be good quality. One must also look at the cabinetry and furnishings. Remember that a fulltimer will be sitting in the chairs, sleeping in the bed, opening and closing cabinet doors, using the bathroom, using the HVAC daily. In short, whatever you pick must be able to withstand daily use in every aspect. This is a critical element when picking a full time coach.

This narrows the field to a few manufacturers. I don't want to get into a brand war here, but for me, New Horizon, DRV, NuWa and Newmar come to mind immediately. That is just my opinion and I'm sure you'll hear about more.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:08 PM   #4

Thanks for the brands recommend, but what I'm looking for is individual construction items. I done some research and no two brands are alike, but most have tpo or rubber roofs, I beam or tubular frames, 5/8 tongue and grove marine grade plywood flooring. Is this what makes a rig a full-time 5'ver?
Old 07-21-2011, 05:43 PM   #5

MMM, I'd say quality construction, Quality of materials used, level of insulation, and if camping in winter, dual pane windows. One thing almost no one comments on is the the companies choice of running gear and tires. IE, big enough to load the 5er and still be under weight of trailer and tires to match.

Many of the trailers mentioned are of very high quality. All would serve you well. For an interesting exercise try crawling under every trailer you are considering and reading the axle and tire rating and compare that to the unladen and laden weigh ratings on the trailer. Many I looked at were overloaded from the factory or at best, barely legal. Others were really scary like a 14,000 lb luxury Quad slide trailer with 6000 lb axles and D rated tires. I know that 20% of the 5er weight is supposed to be carried by the hitch but what gives here with D rated tires? A less expensive Jayco I owned that weighed 12,000 came with 7200 lb axles and E rated tires. (That was a great trailer) and while very spartan compared to the luxury 5ers today, I never had to work on the running gear orTires or for that matter anything in over 10 years of hard use.
-Paul R. Haller-
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:26 PM   #6

Paul - now were are getting to the meat & potato's.
So list might start out like this;

1. axle size/rating - 7000 lbs or better
2. tires -E rating or better
3. dual pane windows

This is what I think a Full-time 5'ver should have!
Old 07-22-2011, 05:24 AM   #7

1. axle size/rating - 7000 lbs or better xxx I would go with 8000 lbs Mor-Ryde
2. tires -E rating or better xxx Yes
3. dual pane windows xxx Yes.
4. Air Ride Pin box
5. 2 A/C's central air, one must be a 15,BTU heat pump.
6. Washer & Dryer.
7. I know they cost a lot but I would want Big Foot leavers
8. 50 amp service.

This is what I think a Full-time 5'ver should have!
2006 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Lariat 4X2 PSD 6.0 TorqShift Automatic Transmission. Upfitter Switchers Chrome Door Handles, Oxford White with lower part being Arizona Beige Metallic. Creative Coating Sprayed in bed liner (local Company in Little Rock AR) 2
WD40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmalikone View Post
Thanks for the brands recommend, but what I'm looking for is individual construction items. I done some research and no two brands are alike, but most have tpo or rubber roofs, I beam or tubular frames, 5/8 tongue and grove marine grade plywood flooring. Is this what makes a rig a full-time 5'ver?
I would offer two things for you to consider in choosing a full time RV. One: Visit a manufacture that builds a full time RV rig. Take a tour of the factory and see what goes into the construction of a full time rig. I would visit Nu-Way first and then compare them to the other full time type rigs.
Two: I would subscribe to this site and gather information from them on the quality of a full time RV. http://www.jrconsumer.com/
Jim W.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:15 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Wood construction will be heavier, but better insulated. Aluminum will conduct both heat and cold through the walls.

Fiberglass roof will require little-to-no maintenance. Won't turn black like a rubber roof either.
gdbontly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:34 AM   #10

I look hard at chassis. You can't put 15" of insulation in a 8" beam, can't haul as much weight, can't built as strong a unit due to weight limits, etc. you get the idea? Now my Mobile Suite has 15" of channel iron. You can do a lot with a good foundation.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:19 AM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
Now my Mobile Suite has 15" of channel iron. You can do a lot with a good foundation.
Actually, 15" of rectangular steel tubing. 2x6, 2x6 and 2x3 stacked.

Rusty
Old 07-22-2011, 11:22 AM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdbontly View Post
Wood construction will be heavier, but better insulated.
But you'd better not have a water leak. There are plenty of threads right here on iRV2 detailing water damage and subsequent repairs to wood-framed superstructures.

Wood and aluminum each have advantages and disadvantages - one could build a case for either.

Rusty
Old 07-22-2011, 11:27 AM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
add to your list:
  • Dual A/C's
  • ducted A/C
  • ducted heat
  • heat pumps
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:53 PM   #14

Now how about a genset? I think that should also be on the list.
Propane - gasoline - diesel
size, make etc.