Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2020, 09:59 AM   #1

6 Volt Vented Boxes

Hi All,

I am looking to swap out my dual 12 volt batteries for 6 volt batteries. The factory boxes are for group 24 batteries so they are about an inch too short. The problem is since they are in the front compartment they have to be vented and I cannot find anywhere to buy vented battery boxes that will accommodate a 6 volt battery. Does anyone know where I can find such a thing? The original battery boxes weren't totally sealed anyways as the wires made a gap all the way around the lid. Maybe the gap isn't a big deal since the hydrogen will rise up into the lid anyways?
Kdawg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2020, 10:14 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
My factory battery was vented and I hooked the existing vent up to my new battery box. If you look in the blog in my signature you can scroll to the bottom and find "Off the Grid" where I did the battery upgrade and inverter setup on my 5th wheel. You really need a vent in the bottom and a vent in the top of the battery box to allow air to flow though and pull out the gases. And you absolutely want it vented from the compartment as it doesn't just remove the gasses it helps to prevent corrosion. If it isn't now it needs to be.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:53 AM   #3

I like that box, did you do anything about the wire pass through U shaped bits or just leave them? I think short term since the current boxes have vents in the bottom and top and the gap is quite a ways below the top of the batteries I will just install them back in with longer screws and leave the gap, since hydrogen rises any discharged gas should still just rise up and out of the vent. Long term I will probably get that same box as you because I would like to switch from 2 6V to 4 6V batteries. Might also go AGM since they don't vent under normal operation so if your venting isn't perfect it probably won't be as big a deal and you don't have screw with the water level. I need to figure out if my converter will correctly charge AGM batteries though.
Old 06-29-2020, 11:34 AM   #4

I bought a box online capable of holding 4-6V golf cart batteries. I modified it by cutting the vent out of the existing vented box and glued it into a hole I drilled into the top of the new box. It’s been working as expected every since. I also used duct tape to cover the unused cutouts in the new box so as much hydrogen gas as possible would escape thru the vent.
Old 06-29-2020, 11:48 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Pick which one you want.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=6+volt+ba...b_sb_ss_i_1_17
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post

Unfortunately it isn't that straight forward. I specifically was wondering about a 6 volt box that has the connections for a vent lines from enclosed spaces. Amazingly it seems no one that manufactures battery boxes has determined there is a need. I ended up going with this box and slicing and dicing the old box up and adding the vents to this one. https://www.statetrailer.com/product...23&detail=true
Old 07-02-2020, 06:49 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdawg89 View Post
Unfortunately it isn't that straight forward. I specifically was wondering about a 6 volt box that has the connections for a vent lines from enclosed spaces. Amazingly it seems no one that manufactures battery boxes has determined there is a need. I ended up going with this box and slicing and dicing the old box up and adding the vents to this one. https://www.statetrailer.com/product...23&detail=true
I think that's the best way. I did use pool noodles to seal the u shaped cutout's in mine.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 07:54 AM   #8

i've been looking at this issue also. we have two vented group 27 battery boxes in the front compartment of our 5th wheel. the venting is very important as there are all kinds of electronic devices also in the same compartment. the floor of the compartment has been cut to the size of the battery box and the lower half of the box actually fits through the the floor so the bottom of the box extends down through the floor.

i was looking at upgrading to a couple of gc2 batteries. they will fit in the existing boxes but they are taller so the box won't totally enclose them. i couldn't find any type of box on the internet that would work.

i have an idea of have a metal fabrication shop build a couple of deeper bottom battery boxes. i could put them into the holes that the existing box bottoms fit into and they would allow the gc2 batteries to sit lower. then i could use the existing vented box tops to cover and enclose the batteries. right now this is simply a concept.

or do i just go with agm batteries with their limited off gassing. my biggest fear is off gassing and corrosion getting into the compartment and affecting all the electronic devices in the compartment. i do not want that to happen!
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 07:54 AM   #9

batt box

I swapped out 1 12V for 2 6V.

Used boat battery boxes.

Made custom vent cover.

C.B.
C.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 08:43 AM   #10

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Large...-p/55-1704.htm

Although they say that it will not fit a group 31 battery, I have a group 31 Deka and it fits just fine.

Looks like it's out of stock, but maybe you can find it elsewhere. Or call MTS.
towersk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 09:17 AM   #11

Custom build is the solution
I bought my TT new and the dealer installed the battery inside the cabin under a seat for me. Dealer service specifically notified me that it required a vented battery box. I knew that and expected the dealer service knew that. I don't know why the manager called me and specifically told me that.
The dealers solution was to use a standard battery box with a vent kit. The dealer did not put a drain in. The kits are available on-line at Amazon and eTrailer.com. Of course the box was not sealed. That may be adequate for AGM batteries.

I was not comfortable with the lack of sealing. I could not find any sealed boxes for my two group 31 batteries. My solution was build my own box out of wood. I vented it through the floor and adapted the vent kit to my custom box. I lined the box with a poly sheet in case flooded cell batteries were installed sometime in the future.

Later I found sealed boxes for larger batteries. However, they all would have required modification to vent and drain them. It still would have been about the same amount of work to adapt them.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 09:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdawg89 View Post
I like that box, did you do anything about the wire pass through U shaped bits or just leave them? I think short term since the current boxes have vents in the bottom and top and the gap is quite a ways below the top of the batteries I will just install them back in with longer screws and leave the gap, since hydrogen rises any discharged gas should still just rise up and out of the vent. Long term I will probably get that same box as you because I would like to switch from 2 6V to 4 6V batteries. Might also go AGM since they don't vent under normal operation so if your venting isn't perfect it probably won't be as big a deal and you don't have screw with the water level. I need to figure out if my converter will correctly charge AGM batteries though.
My AGM type batteries do have a vent......on the ends up near the top....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 09:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
My AGM type batteries do have a vent......on the ends up near the top....
That vent is regulated, meaning it holds until a high pressure.

If a AGM battery vents, its due to gross overcharging and in all likelyhood is shot.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 10:31 AM   #14

The ones I have are in a Beemer and Range Rover.....In the Beemer, the car has a Smart charging system....the factory told the computer which battery type and AH one was installed.....when I got this car, it had a lead acid one in it with 10 AH less then was called for....hence the charging system was trying to stuff more into it then it could could take, and that battery only lasted 1 1/2 years......was a 6 year battery.....so, after putting in a 95 AH one, which is over what the factory had installed, a 90 amp one, you have to register the battery to the cars computer.......been working fine ....just will be a little under charged...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent